Nov 17, 2012, 03:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by s_mack
I searched my emails and found only two matching your account and they were both pre-purchase questions (what color backlight, etc). The backlight and the programming functions are entirely separate. One working (or not) has no bearing on the other working (or not) and they should be trouble-shot independently. I'm fairly certain that you have a Rev 2.1 kit, which means EL backlight circuitry. My troubleshooting guide for that is here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1432042

I know you think you're certain its software... but (and I don't meant this to be rude) from some of your posts, I don't think you have a clear understanding of the hardware in general so it wouldn't be a bad idea to go through the steps and conclusively determine where the problem lies. If it is the software and I had to guess, I would suggest that maybe the developers are forgetting that previous to Rev 2.2 the backlight functioned differently. With Rev 2.1, the light turned on when the backlight pin was high. Starting with Rev 2.2, the light turns on when the backlight pin is low. So in ER9X, for example, there is a setting to "invert" the backlight. I don't know if there is anything similar in open9x but look for it.

- Steven
Hi Steven,

I cannot remember asking you to judge my understanding of things... I do not necessarily think it is software, I merely said it worked correctly before, and no longer after, installing a software revision (a newer version of the Open 9X version )without any change whatsoever to the hardware( I analyse problems for a living, and I'm rather good at it , hehe...). Maybe something went wrong with the hardware coincidentally, I have no clue as to what it could be, hence my question.

Anyway, I have been trough all of your suggested solutions dozens of times, none of them, or even the ones made by helpful forum members, worked in MY case (Incidentally, I never suggested backlight and programming functions are dependent, I merely said I could not get both of them to function at the same time).But we've had that discussion already, I found a solution that worked for ME(until recently...) so, please, let's leave it at that. I would like a diagram so I can get my programming connection working again and see if another version (newer yet) of the open 9X software restores my backlight function. If not, I'll look for a hardware cause....
to remove ads between posts
Nov 17, 2012, 03:52 PM
Registered Loser
Ok well, I really hope someone can provide whatever it is you're looking for and you get things working how you want it to. I obviously don't understand what that is (I thought it was your backlight that wasn't working and now you're asking about programming - so I'm really not sure what diagram you'rer looking for) and it sounds like my attempts are just frustrating you further. Good luck and feel free to contact me if there's something specific I can assist with.

- Steven
Nov 17, 2012, 04:32 PM
I contacted you and tried to explain better even though it looks clear to me...

Wim
Nov 17, 2012, 05:34 PM
68 years an RC flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by WimH
I contacted you and tried to explain better even though it looks clear to me...

Wim
If I understand correctly what you need right now is simply the hookup between the board and the USB connector.

If you look at the pictures in the instructions you can see how it works at the board end of the cable.

http://www.smartieparts.com/shop/ind...page=page&id=9

At the other end, on my v.2.1 board, the connections are clearly marked: red is +5v, black (or grey) is ground, green is D+ and white is D-.

In case it isn't marked, the pins on the mini USB are, from left to right, blank, blank, D+, D-, +5, with the ground going to the shell I assume. This is with the connector to the top, looking from the connector side of the board.

Hope this helps.
Nov 17, 2012, 05:36 PM
Registered Loser
Actually its Ground, Blank, D+, D-, +5 but case is also connected to ground.
Nov 17, 2012, 05:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66
If I understand correctly what you need right now is simply the hookup between the board and the USB connector.

Hope this helps.
Yes and it does, thanks!
Nov 19, 2012, 06:45 PM
Custom quad builder
Hello all I just pulled the trigger on this for my 9x I was just wanted to know if it is as easy as they say
Thanks
Nov 19, 2012, 07:10 PM
68 years an RC flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69x
Hello all I just pulled the trigger on this for my 9x I was just wanted to know if it is as easy as they say
Thanks
It's very straight forward. One hint. Make sure the printed circuit board in the Tx is REALLY clean. Wash off any flux from the pads with isopropyl alcohol. And if the pads have bumps of solder on them, use solder wick to soak up the excess. It's crucial to get good contact.

Then follow the instructions carefully.
Nov 19, 2012, 07:12 PM
Custom quad builder
Thank you for your reply. One more ? Where is the best place to find the firmware thanks again
Nov 19, 2012, 07:46 PM
Registered Loser
That's a loaded question I'd recommend starting here and reading for the next few days. Or skip to the Wiki as its at least somewhat condensed.
Nov 19, 2012, 07:52 PM
Custom quad builder
Quote:
That's a loaded question I'd recommend starting here and reading for the next few days. Or skip to the Wiki as its at least somewhat condensed.
Thank you
Nov 19, 2012, 10:47 PM
Custom quad builder
I think I'll go with the er9x
Nov 20, 2012, 12:08 AM
Registered Loser
great choice.
Nov 20, 2012, 12:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69x
Thanks
My biggest problem was the dripping sweat from my forehead from the fear. Turns out that fear is an acronym for False Expectations Appearing Real.
Relax, work slowly and even if you have never done a single electronic project in your life you'll be just fine. Any questions.. the forum is here to help and Steven is an amazing vendor.
Nov 20, 2012, 12:26 AM
Quote:
Also download EEPE or Companion9X and get the feel of things so the firmware is not so foreign when you start with it.

Quick Reply