Dec 27, 2012, 10:47 AM
www.scotiarc.co.uk - OMP Helis
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjschauer
Hmm that's interesting!!!
The ones I got we're TERRIBLE!!!
Terrible in actual use, or was it just the internal design issues which you listed?
to remove ads between posts
Dec 27, 2012, 02:29 PM
Just ordered these for my son's we got him for Christmas. Did you have to open the hole anymore or did they drop in?

Thanks,

Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer
Just a follow up on this warning I got about the Solar D658 servos I used in my Slick.

I've been using them since august and they have been fine. They are pretty fast have plenty of torque and centre well. I did open one up to check out the reported issues. Here's what I found:
  • Plastic gear - yes, there is one plastic gear which is the small gear that is driven directly from the motor pinion. I don't see this being great weakness as the torque at that point in the reduction gearing is very low. FWIW the much trusted and recommended Hitec HS-85MG has a plastic gear in exactly the same position!
  • Gear rubbing on the pot - I found no evidence of this.
  • Wire relief - Yep the wire comes straight from it's solder points on the PCB and exits the case. I'm not sure if this will ever prove to be a problem as the wire is gripped by the bottom case cover and the solder points on the PCB are very robust. Only if you were really hauling on the wire constantly could I imagine it causing a problem.

4 months of use probably isn't enough to draw any positive conclusions but so far so good....
Dec 27, 2012, 07:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT.
Put gas in....flip prop till engine starts, taxi out, restart engine after it dies waiting to take off, fly until gas is low or engine dies, land, taxi n (if engine is still running)....repeat as needed....what else do you need to know?

SteveT
A good pilot knows how to setup and run both!
Dec 27, 2012, 07:42 PM
Don't give in to gravity
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingconsulting
Just ordered these for my son's we got him for Christmas. Did you have to open the hole anymore or did they drop in?

Thanks,

Robert
For what it is worth. I have been running the Solar d657's for a few months now and love em. Not sure of the differance between the 658 and 657. I have no issues at all. have one in the Slick tail and the others in my Twisted Hobbys big Sbach.
Dec 27, 2012, 08:45 PM
Quote:
Put gas in....flip prop till engine starts, taxi out, restart engine after it dies waiting to take off, fly until gas is low or engine dies, land, taxi n (if engine is still running)....repeat as needed....what else do you need to know?

SteveT
I think this dle was easy to tune, never had that issue so far anyway.
Here is a short vid of plane when I first got it. A great buy at $800 though
3DHS 74 edge (3 min 30 sec)

Steve L
Dec 27, 2012, 09:37 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
Quote:

SteveT
Guys....

I was just being a little facetious when I posted this, but was also joking, certainly meant no offense to anybody.....

SteveT
Latest blog entry: My old shop....
Dec 27, 2012, 09:59 PM
none taken / was just stating the dle 30 on this plane runs well
Dec 27, 2012, 11:54 PM
Just got them today and they do look pretty nice. A little larger all around so will be breaking out the dremel tool everywhere

Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravitycheat
For what it is worth. I have been running the Solar d657's for a few months now and love em. Not sure of the differance between the 658 and 657. I have no issues at all. have one in the Slick tail and the others in my Twisted Hobbys big Sbach.
Dec 28, 2012, 05:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingconsulting

Thanks,

Robert
Robert,

Yes, I had to open the holes up slightly but the mounting screws still picked up the plywood mount plate ok. I just trimmed the hole out with a modelling knife, I'd not like to take a Dremel to it personally, too hard to control for my liking.
Last edited by Smoggie; Dec 28, 2012 at 05:15 AM.
Dec 28, 2012, 05:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravitycheat
The 657 and 658 are virtually identical. The only difference in spec I can see is that the 658 is a little bit faster (0.08s vs. 0.1s) and 1g heavier. Torque and case dimensions are the same.
Dec 28, 2012, 06:37 AM
Don't give in to gravity
Quote:
The 657 and 658 are virtually identical. The only difference in spec I can see is that the 658 is a little bit faster (0.08s vs. 0.1s) and 1g heavier. Torque and case dimensions are the same.
Thanks
Dec 28, 2012, 08:16 AM
I've done it successfully on my Osiris but I do understand what your saying

Dropping some thin CA in the screw holes helps too.

Robert

Quote:
Robert,

Yes, I had to open the holes up slightly but the mounting screws still picked up the plywood mount plate ok. I just trimmed the hole out with a modelling knife, I'd not like to take a Dremel to it personally, too hard to control for my liking.
Dec 28, 2012, 10:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormz
I think this dle was easy to tune, never had that issue so far anyway.
Here is a short vid of plane when I first got it. A great buy at $800 though
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raU8k...ature=youtu.be

Steve L
What a beautiful grass runway!
Dec 28, 2012, 11:16 AM
I've got a couple of Solar D658's unopened if anyone wants them. $10 each? Also a couple D771's $15 ea? So buy all 4 and I'll pop for the priority mail. Brand new, in the bag, unused. One D771 bag was opened and servo plugged in to a receiver to test it, that's all.
Dec 28, 2012, 12:02 PM
Quote:

SteveT
Well at least the planes are getting to the field. To hot, to cold, to windy, to, to, to. Some dudes at our field to get out there, then they stand over their chargers the whole time. first to charge, the to discharge.

I am just being a little facetious.

Quick Reply