Jul 29, 2012, 08:49 AM
a.k.a. GlideZilla
Thread OP
Discussion

JR XG8 vs Graupner MX20?

Hi.

I'm seriously considering ditching the Hitec Aurora 9 for DLG (and F5J) due to the inaccuracy of the timer. I love the programming and flexibility of the A9 but I need an accurate timer.

I'm considering the JR XG8 or the Graupner MX20. I understand both have telemetry for battery and altitude (which should be great for launch practice) and also a vario for practice in thermal detection.

One of my key criteria is the need for the momentary switch to be on the left hand rear for DLG launch and F5J motor. With my A9 and Futaba 10C I moved the momentary switch to the left with a bit of soldering.

Can anyone confirm that either the XG8 or MX20 can be had with the spring switch on the left or that it can easily be moved to the left?

Any other comments on these two radios for DLG?

Cheers
Dean
to remove ads between posts
Jul 29, 2012, 10:10 AM
Hi Dean,

I moved from the A9 to XG8 and I'm very glad I did. It's much much lighter, the grip is way better, programming flexibility is similar, and the additional telemetry modules such as altitude is very handy.
The switch is very easy to swap, the whole back comes off cleanly and is a breeze to put back together.

I'm not familiar with Graupner, but I would highly recommend the XG8. JR's build quality and service is exceptional, plus they're dedicated to providing a a line of useful products to use in sailplanes.

-will reply your PM in a bit, lonnggg day of flying and travelling!
Jul 29, 2012, 12:19 PM
In F3J size does matter!
The XG8 seems really nice. But so does the MX20.
I was thinking of buying the XG8 but I'm waiting for a receiver with built-in telemetry.
The MX20 has telemetry built-in into the receivers but no service in my country so I'm still thinking about it.
At the moment I'm waiting to see what happens first, will JR introduce built-in telemetry or I break and order an MX20 from abroad
Jul 30, 2012, 01:05 PM

xg series and vario

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean.roberts
Hi.

also a vario for practice in thermal detection.

Cheers
Dean
Hello Dean,

Vario for xg series not available, just planning

Jan
Jul 31, 2012, 06:26 PM
a.k.a. GlideZilla
Thread OP
I took the plunge and invested in the XG8. Now waiting for the 6ch Rxs and need to move the spring switch and I'll be good to go.

Need to get my head in the programming though as it not nearly as intuitive as the A9.

Cheers
Dean
Aug 02, 2012, 03:01 AM
The MX20 has voice output, a plug for ear-phone or speaker and they have a bluetooth module available soon. With that module you are able to use a bluetooth (mobile) headset for telemetry. That's innovation! Hope JR offers something like that in the future as well as I'm about to buy a XG8 too.

Quick Reply