Apr 15, 2011, 09:32 AM
Mike M.
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONBOYLEMON View Post
rhino 360 2S hyperion ds09

1 hour is my guess based on bench useage on setup.

I will time some flights tomorrow hopefully and see how fast the voltage drops.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6Killer View Post
At what voltage is the Rhino 360 2s considered out of gas (stop flying)?
I have that same exact gear in my Stobel. I fly it for exactly 1 hour and then put about 225 - 250 mAh back into the battery. How low is too low? My advice is to not push it. Stop and recharge while you still have a good safety margin. Some guys (like Charlie) advise not using more than 1/2 the mAh rating before recharging (or 180mAh in this case), and I'm already pushing past that. FWIW, the low voltage warning light on my regulator comes on when the battery gets down to 7.4V, and I can usually fly for about 50 minutes before seeing it light up. I'm sure it also depends on your flying style, how much you move the sticks, and if your surfaces move freely without binding. Pull/spring on rudder/elevator may also use a little more juice than push/pull rods.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 15, 2011, 09:35 AM
Jeremy D Stott
So thats my name now, huh? Don't worry... I'll be there. I read your concerns, excuse me... I mean desire to beat, to my wife and she will help me be there as soon as I can. Logan Temple session is at 10:30 and I'm guessing I'll be out by 12:30 and then getting home around 1:30... Pushing it, but possible.
Apr 15, 2011, 09:40 AM
Full disclosure, not sponsored
TS for short.
Apr 15, 2011, 09:51 AM
Mike M.
Thread OP
Quote:
I would say anything over 6.5 would be good for another throw...... But depending on the burn rate this may or may not be correct. I will fly today if I have time, and time how long I am powered up. I will go for 10 minutes 1st and then check voltage.
One more thing on voltage... 6.0V is considered completely empty on a 2S lipo, and permanent cell damage may occur if it falls below that. But I wouldn't toss my plane again if it was reading 6.5V! My experience is that once it drops below 7.0V it tends to continue dropping at an exponentially faster rate. In other words, the lower it gets the faster it drops. It will go very quickly from 7.0 to 6.5, and even faster from 6.5 to 6.0. So I wouldn't fly below 7. My Tx shuts itself off at 6.8V (don't ask...)!
Last edited by like.2.fly; Apr 15, 2011 at 10:07 AM.
Apr 15, 2011, 10:11 AM
Awwww...... Let me see what the burn rate is.

We are not "Hopefully" pulling any juice from these packs and the discharge rate sould be a VERY LOW C rating, but I will end up erring on the side of caution as it would suck to hook into some crazy good air and have to worry that you need to get back home ASAP.

I am seriously thinking about about trying to see how that pack AD is using would fit in front of my servos. We will see.

If I did go with a bigger pack I could slide all me servos back over 1" which would help on CG w/ a bigger pack.

Also I was thinking I may just hook up my Apache 2500 charger to a 2200 3S pack and use that as my DLG field charger and just charge whenever I am not flying. Would be a nice little package. Even better would be one of these strapped to a 3S 200 but this has too high a charge rate, but it might be ok.....
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=7637

We shall see.
Last edited by JONBOYLEMON; Apr 15, 2011 at 10:31 AM.
Apr 15, 2011, 10:26 AM
Limbo with 30,000V...

Pack Sod Farm

I swung by the Pack Sod Farm this morning on my way in to work. I snapped a few quick photo's so you could all judge for yourselves.

Power lines are all on the west side of the road, depending on where we set up this could come into play when ranging out, but not a huge concern as we've flown closer to power lines (down in St. George).

The east end of the farm is very close to Legacy Hwy. and of course I-15 is just beyond that.

There is plenty of middle ground to work with, but if you get greedy in a thermal you may find yourself flying over plane killin', 70~85mph traffic (closer to 90 if Citrus hasn't made it there yet ).
Apr 15, 2011, 10:34 AM
Me no like traffic......

But it sure looks doable. But it does look VERY wet....

Also I know the farms out in Vernon. I am guessing there could be some killer lift out in the desert on a summer day.....
Apr 15, 2011, 11:16 AM
Mike M.
Thread OP
Quote:
...Also I was thinking I may just hook up my Apache 2500 charger to a 2200 3S pack and use that as my DLG field charger and just charge whenever I am not flying. Would be a nice little package...
I have seen lots of guys at contests with compact charging setups like this. Very cool!

Jim, thanks for the Pack farm photos. I think that site has tons of potential! Looks great to me. The power lines on the west should be no problem, not too tall or too close. As for the highway & freeway to the east, just don't venture too far in that direction without accepting the risks. This would only come into play if flying from the very far east end of the farm. The west and middle ground looks ideal, once it dries out. It is a few miles north of the middle point for all of us, but still the most centralized location so far. Nice find Jon!
Apr 15, 2011, 12:01 PM
Limbo with 30,000V...
Jon L., are you still planning to maiden @ noon? I'll try to join you.
Apr 15, 2011, 12:07 PM
noonish or whatever works for you if you are coming down. Remind me to check voltages constantly!!!!!

Just call me w/ 10 minutes notice. And by call me I me call my cell phone and leave a message and hope Nextel sends it to me............

Or call me @ work #.

Would also be nice if you could give her a once over before I chuck it.

Yo AD, you in the houze???
Apr 15, 2011, 12:20 PM
A different attitude to RC
Jon, I will be there. I want to see your creation...
Apr 15, 2011, 12:23 PM
Always Twirling for Freedom!
Adrian... why isn't your phone accepting incoming calls? You guys are going HOW early? Wish I could make it
Apr 15, 2011, 12:25 PM
Its just your incoming calls.
Apr 15, 2011, 12:27 PM
Quote:
Its just your incoming calls.
You're probably right!
Apr 15, 2011, 01:04 PM
I'm making scorecards for tomorrow, unless someone already has...

Quick Reply