This thread is privately moderated by IBCrazy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 02, 2013, 11:51 AM
Engineer for Christ
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVIATION_RULZ
I have a question regarding DVR recording. If I take the video out feed from my Lawmate Rx and y-split it, having one end go to my Dominator goggles while the other end goes to my DVR, will it:

a) reduce the video quality on my goggles?

b) will it go blue screen on my goggles if I get blue screen on the DVR?

Thanks
It won't reduce the quality, but it might cut the video out all together. Lawmate has issues with impedance matching and splitters make this problem much worse. You can use a cheap video buffer to fix this problem.

-Alex
to remove ads between posts
Jan 02, 2013, 12:21 PM
The way of being is doing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy
If the Mu metal all connected together it would work better as it would create a Faraday cage

-Alex
Ok I thought about it. thank
Jan 02, 2013, 12:37 PM
FunkMaster
Alex,

As the new year begins, I just wanted to put out a "thank you" to you for all the help you've given everyone, including me. I have one of your antennas and learned much from your postings. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Kent
Jan 02, 2013, 02:02 PM
Swiwin Turbine Dealer
I don't want to step on any toes... This is a video I found that helps sum up antennas....
Antennas 101 - Polarization, Diversity & Gain Patterns (27 min 56 sec)
Latest blog entry: Ryan S-T
Jan 02, 2013, 03:31 PM
Wallop!
Nice video, although a bit misleading and at times too simplified. As far as I remember, the range for different gains was not always scaled properly. Also it looks like receiving a signal is hit or miss, which in reality isn't so.

But nice vid anyway.

Martin
Jan 02, 2013, 06:20 PM
pǝʇɹǝʌuᴉ sɐʍ I ǝsnɐɔǝq
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy
Put an airplane launcher on the roof and you have it made!

-Alex
I will just launch it out of the back of the trailer....
This setup would be great if I ever do cross country. Just ride in the trailer and fly the plane!
What I like about it is that I can do setup at home and then when I get to the field, it is all ready.
Jan 02, 2013, 06:23 PM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin.
Nice video, although a bit misleading and at times too simplified. As far as I remember, the range for different gains was not always scaled properly. Also it looks like receiving a signal is hit or miss, which in reality isn't so.

But nice vid anyway.

Martin
i haven't seen a better video to quickly explain the basics of antennas and polarization. this video pretty much helped me wrap my head around polarization.
Jan 02, 2013, 10:06 PM
uptime4downtime
Had my very first solo FPV today, and my second only FPV flight. I knew the only way to achieve this was to fly my small, light quad, and simply fly it over a deserted field, very slowly and low and carefully. Worked an absolute treat. Most impressed.

Fantastic test for what FPV is like, and good test of the system. Only lost contact when I flew low behind a shed on the field, but not enough to prevent me landing safely.

Couple of interesting observations:
1) took a few seconds to commit to the screen, and not rely on visual, but once immersed, all good
2) i have no mic, so the acoustic sound of the copter as it got close to me was kind of off putting, and I just had to resist the temptation to look at the sound

A few short seconds of lift off here (batt ran out):
First solo FPV - I'm hooked! (0 min 49 sec)

This hobby just keeps surprising in the different avenues you can explore.
Uptime
Last edited by 3D Kiwi; Jan 02, 2013 at 11:11 PM. Reason: added photo of flying contraption
Jan 03, 2013, 12:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash74
I'm looking for a 15" tv also!!

I have a 16" naxa. Only been able to use a couple of times since weather has turned bad.
Naxa NT 1506
Jan 03, 2013, 02:48 PM
uptime4downtime
After looking around on forums etc, and web for monitors, I thought, even tho expensive, the RMRC 10.1 LED would be worth the price simply due to knowing it will work, and not having to mod it, or use DVR's to get it to work etc. It is also easy to get it shipped international from them.

I will look into the Naxa.

Has anyone else used that RMRC monitor? The price is up there, but perhaps worth it (if 10" is large enough) . Having the tripod mount installed is also a plus.
Jan 03, 2013, 11:42 PM
I need some pointers from your guys please. I'm using a Dragon Link V2 with my DOSD and 1280mhz Video Tx. I was using a 72mhz Futaba Tx until last week and my video was crystal clear. Now that I've upgraded to the 433mhz Dragon Link UHF, my video is garbage. I am in no way blaming DL... I'm simply trying to find out what I can do to make my system work. I know there are many guys out there that have successfully used DL with 1280mhz and I am hoping you guys could give me some input please. Basically, the only type of filtering I got going on is a LC filter on both the video Tx and camera. Also, I have a low pass filter on my DL Tx. That's all. What else can I do to help video quality??? My Lawmate Receiver does not have a SAW filter so maybe I can upgrade to one that has a SAW filter. I'm not sure how much this will help but I'm willing to give it a try. But what else??? How are you guys able to get clear video on 1280mhz and 433mhz running at the same time?

Here is a list of the gear I'm using:
Dragon Link UHF
Original RMRC 1280mhz video Tx
Lawmate Rx with NO SAW filter
Low Pass Filter on Dragon Link Tx.

Thanks guys!
Jan 04, 2013, 04:53 AM
I've been thinking about these two units:

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...500mW_FPV.html

and

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...mpatible_.html

I'm not intimidated by making a pcb for this receiver module, just want to know if its good or not..Meaning that with the same antenna combo I use for 5.8ghz, just built for the 2.4ghz frequency I would go farther? Currently I use the HK 5.8ghz system (although the transmitter I made myself from the bare module).
I'll make a nice filtered power supply although the datasheet is a bit skecthy...it say it work from 3-5V so does it have some internal voltage regulator?

Here is the datasheet from that receiver: https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...X752504X38.pdf
Jan 04, 2013, 08:30 AM
FunkMaster
Quote:
I need some pointers from your guys please. I'm using a Dragon Link V2 with my DOSD and 1280mhz Video Tx. I was using a 72mhz Futaba Tx until last week and my video was crystal clear. Now that I've upgraded to the 433mhz Dragon Link UHF, my video is garbage. I am in no way blaming DL... I'm simply trying to find out what I can do to make my system work. I know there are many guys out there that have successfully used DL with 1280mhz and I am hoping you guys could give me some input please. Basically, the only type of filtering I got going on is a LC filter on both the video Tx and camera. Also, I have a low pass filter on my DL Tx. That's all. What else can I do to help video quality??? My Lawmate Receiver does not have a SAW filter so maybe I can upgrade to one that has a SAW filter. I'm not sure how much this will help but I'm willing to give it a try. But what else??? How are you guys able to get clear video on 1280mhz and 433mhz running at the same time?

Dragon Link UHF

Thanks guys!
As a data point, I'm using the exact same setup as you only instead of the Lawmate Rx, I'm using the RMRC Rx with the SAW filter (not sure if I'm on the 1280 or 1258 mhz). My video is clear and to tell you the truth, I don't notice any difference with the low pass removed from the DL transmitter.

For what it's worth.....

Kent
Last edited by KentF; Jan 04, 2013 at 11:06 AM.
Jan 04, 2013, 11:02 AM
Engineer for Christ
Thread OP
Quote:

Dragon Link UHF

Thanks guys!
The SAW filter mod isn't going to help you. And it is most likely the Dragonlink that is at fault. I had several issues with mine even after upgrading.

You can try a notch filter. Check my blog for the how-to, but all you need is an SMA Tee and a short coxial cable extension. This is the only thing I can think of that might help.

-Alex
Jan 04, 2013, 12:19 PM
hello, a bad man stole my fpv equippement in my cellar... :0
I do not want to buy a new pair of goggles yet.
I am planning to use a netbook (intel atom n2600) with a easycap. Do you think thst it would be fine?

Quick Reply