Apr 15, 2012, 10:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic
I've read of others doing the same with no issues. The advice I've gotten from some ESC manufacturers (Castle Creation being one) was to not run different power sources (ESC BECs) in parallel as they could interfere/fight each other. That was many years ago and the technology has evolved and maybe it's not as big a deal as it used to be. I've gone both ways on this...sometimes I connect up power wires on multiple ESCs and sometimes I don't. Usually if the frame is large enough to 'store' the removed wires I will remove them. If the frame is smaller and space at a premium I'll leave all the wires connected...and never had a problem either way.
actually most esc do have switching bec. you can run them in parallel. but you have to respect the max current of one. don't expect with two of them in parallel you will have double the current.
the one with the higher voltage will handle all the load.
witch sbec the voltage will not drop but the current increases with the load. if you overcharge it. it will shutdown, burn or whatever.

with linear bec this is more possible.
the voltage drops as current increases. the voltage drops to the voltage level of the next esc(bec) in parallel and this one will now also deliver current and try to keep the voltage at this level.

you can run them in parallel. it will not harm as long as you respect the max current of one!
to remove ads between posts
Apr 15, 2012, 10:26 AM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Quote:
Originally Posted by shdwkeeper
Did you touch the AccelBias in Attitude Mode?
Ummm...I don't think so 'cause I'm not really sure to what you are referring. If you mean adjusting the X,Y,Z for autoleveling in Attitude mode, no, I didn't touch that. I just placed my frame on a flat surface, and ran the accel calibration. That worked pretty good for me. With the newest firmware you can also set it for auto-accel calibration. You click some settings, fly and hover level for ~1 minute then land. Go back into the GCS, load and save the settings and should be good to go. Sorry I don't remember the exact steps as I've only experimented with it once. You can find more info on the OpenPilot.org site.
Apr 15, 2012, 03:08 PM
FC flux'd
eeek whoops - pressed the order button...
Apr 15, 2012, 03:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katch
I've never done that! Honest! Ask my wife.
Apr 15, 2012, 03:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katch
out of stock already ?
Last edited by w4Rd3n; Apr 15, 2012 at 03:58 PM.
Apr 15, 2012, 04:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by w4Rd3n
out of stock already ?
You might want to look again! I just went to the HT site and the black FPV frame shows in stock... the blue 450 above it is out of stock.
Apr 15, 2012, 08:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by csned1
You might want to look again! I just went to the HT site and the black FPV frame shows in stock... the blue 450 above it is out of stock.
Well, if it wasn't out of stock before, it is now... it's possible I needed to refresh my cache.
Apr 15, 2012, 08:24 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er

More Flight Power Tests

I did some more flight data tests on my HT-FPV quad today. I tested the 920kv DJI motors on 4S with Gemfan 9x4.5 carbon filled props. I ended up with less mAh consume per minute than with the 8x4.5 props; however, to date the overall winner is still the 850kv motors with 9x5x3 props on 4S. My results are below. The very first reading was with 930kv motors on 4S w/o FPV equipment on a Tricopter. It, certainly won hands down for flight time and mAh consumed. Of course it's also lighter and only has three motors. I'm didn't have a GoPro mount for it so couldn't test it fully loaded...I'll do that next weekend. I will say that the tricopter seemed smoother in flight than any of my quads. I'm going to attribute this to the motors not having to change rpm to yaw the craft...so things stay on a much smoother key. I'll get a total weight and flying time test on it to really compare it against an FPV quad...that'll be later though. Anyway, here's the flight data:
Apr 15, 2012, 08:33 PM
Gravity is a cruel mistress...
Thanks for that info Van. Also, I should report that I think the culprit for my issue was the 2 tabs that I missed when filing them down. Since that arm wasn't fully seated in the slots it must have been vibrating which caused the issue on both of my flight controllers.

I've got it dialed in pretty nicely but I also had to adjust my accelbias to something like X: 90 to keep it from pitching forward in atti mode. I am feeling much better about it now and will just tune out the rest of the issues. I'm stoked to finally be at this point with the frame.
Apr 15, 2012, 08:49 PM
LOAD "FLIP-FPV",8,1
Have you guys who are having pitching forward problems tried sliding your battery backwards? Thats what the slots are for. Mine pitched forwards also, until I slid my battery back... I have about 1/4" hanging off the end of the tail for my 2200 packs. Now the naza flies perfectly even in stunt mode.
Apr 16, 2012, 08:52 AM
Gravity is a cruel mistress...
I am using a 4s 2650, to get it to balance at the CG specified in the manual it does stick off the end about 1/4" but then again that is with it butted right up against the back of the top plate. I did try moving it back even further to counter the pitch forward issue with the CC but it didn't help too much. I suspect it has something to do with the wider angle of the 120 degree arms and the way the CC calculates attitude.

When I tried it with the Naza since fixing my issues, it hovered nice and level. Its just that I prefer the feel of the CC.
Apr 16, 2012, 09:56 AM
Mmmmmmm!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vic20owner
Have you guys who are having pitching forward problems tried sliding your battery backwards? Thats what the slots are for. Mine pitched forwards also, until I slid my battery back... I have about 1/4" hanging off the end of the tail for my 2200 packs. Now the naza flies perfectly even in stunt mode.
That's good to know. So.. We should just ignore the CG location? Or perhaps dial in the CG, THEN move the battery back slightly? I'll try that, my quad wants to pitch forward a bit in manual and ATTI.
Apr 16, 2012, 12:11 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blucross
I am using a 4s 2650, to get it to balance at the CG specified in the manual it does stick off the end about 1/4" but then again that is with it butted right up against the back of the top plate. I did try moving it back even further to counter the pitch forward issue with the CC but it didn't help too much. I suspect it has something to do with the wider angle of the 120 degree arms and the way the CC calculates attitude.

When I tried it with the Naza since fixing my issues, it hovered nice and level. Its just that I prefer the feel of the CC.
I had no problem with balance and drifting when I had my CC board mounted...felt pretty good in both Rate and Attitude modes. I'm using a Naza now and it does drift in ATTI mode some, not much, but a little....'cept it drifts rearward, so I have to slide my battery further forward. It does fine in Manual mode though...so I just 'deal' with it...not a huge issue. I wish you could calibrate/offset the Naza accel's to fix drift issues without having to 'shim' the controller (which is mounted between the center plates on my quad).
Apr 16, 2012, 12:42 PM
Finally did a little FPV with this. It's been windy here, but at least it was manageable.

Open Pilot CC HT-FPV (3 min 25 sec)
Apr 16, 2012, 12:57 PM
When in doubt, throttle out...
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinv033
at least it was manageable.

http://vimeo.com/40429380
till the end!

:-)

Fly's nice bud.

Quick Reply