Promoting Model Aviation...
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by HELModels
^^^^^^That's funny!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Crunch
That's right, I just couldn't rfemember the acronym when I was writing.

Thanks Frank,

Crunch
You are welcome Capt. Those guys are doing something really special in my mind as well. Hundreds of pilots all helping out, spending their time, efforts, and in some cases money, to help promote model aviation. I certainly applaud the efforts for all involved.

The goal of the WAA-08 adventure is to promote model aviation, I did not see what the geeks show's goal is. Is it to simply make the trip?

Frank
to remove ads between posts
Sep 30, 2012, 11:45 AM
Rocket Programmer
Ratings? AD revenue?
Sep 30, 2012, 02:50 PM
It's all fun till Crunch!
Personal voyage of discovery.

Do something most peeps say they can't.

Get out of the house and away from the wifey & kids.

Road trip.

Best water cooler stories.

Lots of good reasons out there.
Sep 30, 2012, 03:19 PM
I fly 3-C Crash,Crunch,Crumble
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murocflyer
I don't know what will happen. I suspect if the airplane is not repairable, game over. I mean that is the goal right? Flying across the USA in one go/trip?

I'm really surpised someone hasn't done this already by riding in the back of a pickup truck and flying their plane across the US.

Frank
1979 Trans Am Relay race in conjunction with the Jerry Lewis Telethon. Our club flew from Tucson ,Az to Blythe Ca. in the back of a pickup, and I still have the TX I used to do it. The plane was a giant Ugly stick with a .60 engine, and a 16 oz. tank. Had to make circles at times as we were only allowed to travel 55 mph. (the posted speed limit) with an official AMA observer with us. I don't remember the weight of the plane, but it was a blast and I would do it again in a heartbeat. Roy Creiglow AMA #8045/CD
ps: No the jacket no longer fits
Last edited by Mr. foambuilder; Sep 30, 2012 at 03:35 PM.
Sep 30, 2012, 04:19 PM
This was done in '76 with the "Liberty Bell" a Goldberg senior Falcon. Check Model Aviation -- history at AMA site for details. Detailsw which I no longer remember/

why reinvent the wheel?

howell
Sep 30, 2012, 04:27 PM
I fly 3-C Crash,Crunch,Crumble
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwinhh
This was done in '76 with the "Liberty Bell" a Goldberg senior Falcon. Check Model Aviation -- history at AMA site for details. Detailsw which I no longer remember/

why reinvent the wheel?

howell
H; here is a link to some info on the flight of the Liberty Bell, of which I had forgotten <https://www.modelaircraft.org/files/RichBob.pdf>
Royhttps://www.modelaircraft.org/files/RichBob.pdf
Sep 30, 2012, 06:39 PM
So... the 1.5 hr @ 70 mph thing... I know it seems they want to go electric, but could Saito's little 4 stroke gasser do the trick? http://www.espritmodel.com/saito-fg1...ngine-82g.aspx Sounds about right for a long distance 5 pound model that flies "on the wing". 20 oz of fuel would take you 1.5 hours with a 20 minute reserve. Would have to be a very sleek machine!
Sep 30, 2012, 06:53 PM
erkq,

I've only flown gliders and eledtric planes, no background in fuel models.
I've sometimes hear the expression "flies on the wing", but have never been able to figure it out because all aircraft fly because they have a wing.
Could you give me some insight on what it means?

Many thanks,

Crunch
Sep 30, 2012, 07:19 PM
I think it means, cruises with a small percentage of available power.
Sep 30, 2012, 07:27 PM
OK, now that I think of it, it makes sense. Like a 3D hover or Harrier isn't flying using the wing to keep it aloft.

Oh, and erkg, you're right, a small 4 stroke engine would go all day on modest fuel, but we're trying to see if an electric plane can do it, since Maynard Hill & the translantic guys proved it can be done on fuel, Maynard was diesel, don't remember on Atlantic crossing.
Sep 30, 2012, 07:29 PM
Quote:
erkq,

I've only flown gliders and eledtric planes, no background in fuel models.
I've sometimes hear the expression "flies on the wing", but have never been able to figure it out because all aircraft fly because they have a wing.
Could you give me some insight on what it means?

Many thanks,

Crunch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HELModels
I think it means, cruises with a small percentage of available power.
Yes. Most models are grossly over-powered and sometimes RC pilots learn to rely on that to get themselves out of trouble. They "fly on the prop" and simply haul themselves out of stalls and other bad situations. Some 3D pilots fly almost in spite of having a wing... lots of hovering and below stall harrier flying. But this Saito is rated at 1.5hp... plenty of power for a 5 pound model. Flying "on the wing" is what most regular GA aircraft have to do... you have to pay attention to airspeed, angle of attack, plan ahead, etc.
Sep 30, 2012, 07:36 PM
Gottcha erkg,

BTW I just read the whole article on the Trans Atlantic crossing again, they used "Coleman Fuel" and the designer and project leader was also Maynard Hill!
Sep 30, 2012, 07:37 PM
Quote:
OK, now that I think of it, it makes sense. Like a 3D hover or Harrier isn't flying using the wing to keep it aloft.

Oh, and erkg, you're right, a small 4 stroke engine would go all day on modest fuel, but we're trying to see if an electric plane can do it, since Maynard Hill & the translantic guys proved it can be done on fuel, Maynard was diesel, don't remember on Atlantic crossing.
Ah... IC. Well I can fly my Bixler at about 20mph for 50 minutes on a 3Ah 3S battery. Scale up from there? I just can't see maintaining 70mph for 1.5 hours. That's going to be a tough one. But we'll be watching with 'bated breath!
Sep 30, 2012, 07:42 PM
Quote:
Gottcha erkg,

BTW I just read the whole article on the Trans Atlantic crossing again, they used "Coleman Fuel" and the designer and project leader was also Maynard Hill!
Must be "white gas"... a very low octane gasoline with no additives.
Sep 30, 2012, 08:43 PM
As I see it the 70 mph is very unreasonable. I once talked to Dr. Selig about what to use for a model for long distance flights, he recomended a very low drag fuse and airfoil optimised for about 40-50 mph range, because the drag goes up as the square of the speed, ie drag at 30 = 1, at 60 = 4, pretty severe penality for increasing speed!

Jeff Keesaman won the last Calif. XC race at Baker using a mini pylon racer with an Astro 10 and 2 Li-Ion cells at less than 50 mph. Longest duration and longest distance for the day IIRC.

Quick Reply