Mar 06, 2015, 12:57 AM
I ain't afraid of no gravity
Thread OP
Discussion

My Indiegogo Quadcopter Project

Hello All,
I've started a campaign on Indiegogo to help me fund my Autopilot and Aerial Photography project. As I go to a residential high school I'm unable to hold a job. Any and all help would be appreciated, even If you can't donate personally getting the word out to family/friends would help me immensely. Here's the link https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/a...tup/x/10074797

Have a Great Day
Cheers,
Malik R.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 06, 2015, 02:51 AM
It's like those irritating campaign asking money to buy a dslr. It's not expensive to really fly. It depends how badly you want it. Asking for money to fund you a 5k quad is a no way dude.
Mar 06, 2015, 08:29 PM
Thread OP
It's not a 5k quad, it's a $500 fundraising project as I'm unable to hold a job. And it's not begging it's politely asking for donations as I try to find money other ways simultaneously.
Mar 07, 2015, 09:52 PM
I'm not sure who in the US uses the term "industrial high school", but I dont know of any programs in the Bollingbrook area that tell students they can't have a job like a normal American high school student, particularly over the summer. I worked through high school to buy my cameras (and film, paper and chemicals back then.) If anything, I thought that part of the point to these programs was that students worked in the trade they're learning and got paId something to help them financially. If there's some "rule" at your school against working (as unlikely as that is) it's probably time to commit a lie of omission.

In lots of professions, people doing it tell kids "no, don't try it. Do something else." I was certainly told by plenty of architects to not try to be an architect. It turns out that many of the people who take that approach are basically saying, "life is tough. You gotta want it and hustle and bust your ass to get what you want." We genuinely are telling you that asking for donations is a bad (and ineffective) approach. You've got to find a way to bust your ass and earn the money for the gear you want. If you don't want it that much, then it would be a waste to just give you stuff in the first place. I genuinely look forward to seeing your work in a few years!
Mar 07, 2015, 10:10 PM
Thread OP
It's a residential high school in Aurora and it's the Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy and since it's the middle of a school year there are virtually zero ways to acquire en ough cash for the components I need. The time of the year I buy most of my stuff is between September(my birthday) and Christmas. I understand that asking for donations isn't the most effective approach but I was at a grasp for straws as my FPV unit (a quanum box) isn't the best in the world and I'm trying to get better in Aerial Photography.

Thank you for you good advice
Cheers,
Malik
Mar 07, 2015, 10:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by malik98
Hello All,
I've started a campaign on Indiegogo to help me fund my Autopilot and Aerial Photography project. As I go to a residential high school I'm unable to hold a job. Any and all help would be appreciated, even If you can't donate personally getting the word out to family/friends would help me immensely. Here's the link https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/a...tup/x/10074797

Have a Great Day
Cheers,
Malik R.
if you lower the request to APM products instead of DJI components you can have the same results for roughly half and a few odd jobs you will quickly get the funds, good luck!
Mar 08, 2015, 12:30 AM
Ah - I'm not sure why my brain registered what you wrote ("residential") as "industrial." Congrats on being at IMSA. In the same way that you can go online to set up the Indiegogo deal, look for opportunities to make money online or in meatspace. I get that you're in a more-difficult-than-normal spot for the moment. It sucks to wait, but you may be stuck until you can make some money over the summer.

There may be grant money available for something like this. Talk to the faculty and the administration about looking for grant programs or similar that you might apply for (and of course, look online also.) You might even want to look for grant programs that typically are for university students because of what IMSA is.

(Just as an aside, it's probably not a good idea to link a bunch of personal info such as your name on the Indiegogo page plus info like where you're at school here, particularly as a minor. I get that in order to do the Indiegogo thing you have to use your name, and then you're explaining what your situation is here in response to these comments. You're doing each of the steps that are immediately obvious for these processes. But you need to maintain an awareness from a bit of an overview of how these elements could link together online.)
Mar 08, 2015, 01:45 AM
Knowledge prevents flyaways
It's begging! It's extremely annoying, in fact it's worse as I sometimes give money to beggars (the ones that don't ask).

If you want something bad enough, then WORK for it. Anyone can afford to buy a machine but you need to save money, maybe buy one bit at a time.

Quick Reply