Oct 20, 2012, 08:16 PM
Wow, that is excellent, Hansen. Any changes since the last video? Roll looks spot on and tilt is almost there. Was is if a calm day (can't tell on my phone)
to remove ads between posts
Oct 20, 2012, 08:18 PM
AMA 46133
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmonty
Wow, that is excellent, Hansen. Any changes since the last video? Roll looks spot on and tilt is almost there. Was is if a calm day (can't tell on my phone)
I increased the tilt just a little. I think I did a bit too much. I will back it down a bit now. I have not touched the roll.

It was a calm day so I had to create the movement with my sticks.
Oct 20, 2012, 08:21 PM
The Engineer
Fantastic! So you have to put the camera on manual focus and infinity focus right?
Oct 20, 2012, 08:54 PM
AMA 46133
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by prodriverex
Fantastic! So you have to put the camera on manual focus and infinity focus right?
For the lens I am using yes. The lens is manual focus. Also not to have the lens focus on the yellow ball and blur the background I have to use manual focus. For normal shoot without the yellow ball I just use auto focus.

Manual focus is better if you only plan to shoot farther than 15 feet i none flight. For me sometimes I get real close to get some near shot so I leave the lens on auto focus most of the time.
Oct 20, 2012, 08:59 PM
The Engineer
ok roger that. thanks for sharing..
Oct 21, 2012, 01:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeismicCWave
I increased the tilt just a little. I think I did a bit too much. I will back it down a bit now. I have not touched the roll.

I could tell

Would you mind posting a clip or two of the raw footage against post-stabilized footage? I just want to compare some of the footage you are getting with the "polished" stuff I see from the Cinestar gimbals. Obviously that footage is generally stabilized so it's hard to make a 1:1 comparison when we are looking at raw video from you. I wish there was some raw CS footage I could look at.. trying to decide if there method of higher gear ratios helps with the small bumps/ticks.

Anyways, your raw footage is some of the best I have seen. Great job
Oct 21, 2012, 02:28 AM
AMA 46133
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmonty
I could tell

Would you mind posting a clip or two of the raw footage against post-stabilized footage? I just want to compare some of the footage you are getting with the "polished" stuff I see from the Cinestar gimbals. Obviously that footage is generally stabilized so it's hard to make a 1:1 comparison when we are looking at raw video from you. I wish there was some raw CS footage I could look at.. trying to decide if there method of higher gear ratios helps with the small bumps/ticks.

Anyways, your raw footage is some of the best I have seen. Great job
Let see if I can understand what you are saying. You mean you want to see me stabilize some footage with software? I can do that.
Oct 21, 2012, 02:36 AM
The Engineer
I was confused for a moment.
But why the need to compare post stabilised? Evaluating software like smoothcam?
Oct 21, 2012, 08:57 AM
Having done a number of flights that weren't super smooth and always having to use post stabilization, I can tell you that Hansens latest raw video is probably about as smooth as any post stabilized result I've ever gotten. As smooth as his raw video is his post stabilized video should come out perfect without any noticeable loss of resolution / sharpness.
Oct 21, 2012, 09:54 AM
Can you give us the fc you are using now? And gimbal gain settings?

Any new pics of the gimbal?

Quote:

Oct 21, 2012, 11:06 AM
AMA 46133
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffem62
Can you give us the fc you are using now? And gimbal gain settings?

Any new pics of the gimbal?
I am using the CC3D FC and also as gimbal control. My input range on roll is 36 and on tilt is 86.
Oct 21, 2012, 01:02 PM
Quote:
Let see if I can understand what you are saying. You mean you want to see me stabilize some footage with software? I can do that.
Ya, I could have said that a bit more clearly. Yes
Oct 21, 2012, 01:56 PM
Thanks

And your servos?

Nice video by the way

Quote:
I am using the CC3D FC and also as gimbal control. My input range on roll is 36 and on tilt is 86.
Oct 21, 2012, 05:27 PM
tomeparker
Do you think you could get the gimbal to work that good with a Naza? Apparently the Naza isn't as good at gimbal control compared to other FC such as the CC/CC3D.
Oct 21, 2012, 06:48 PM
I finally had the chance to get in a flight this afternoon...and of course my camera had a file error while recording! It also is pretty windy and I had the copter leaning at an angle just to keep it in place, so not the best day for testing. I did get one other very short flight in with a nearly dead battery, certainly not a very good test video but here it is. The weird out of focus yellow thing in the top of the frame is the best I could do for a point of reference without going to the store to get stuff. I will try to make something better for the next test flight.

gimbal 121021 a (1 min 5 sec)

I still need to tune the gimbal some more and I know I can see some vibrations, but I'm not sure if they are from my motors (some of which don't spin as smooth as they used to - I'm looking into new bearings) or from the gusts of wind hitting the copter / gimbal. I'm also wondering if my gimbal to UAP mount might need more work.

As for the gimbal / servos, with smaller or slower movements it seems to be doing pretty good, but with larger or quicker movements it looks like it isn't keeping up on either axis. I should have another chance tomorrow evening to get in at least one more flight, hopefully it won't be as windy and I will make sure I have a fully charged battery!
Last edited by mattchase; Oct 21, 2012 at 09:53 PM.

Quick Reply