Apr 10, 2012, 06:43 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Proposed Future Outboard Models from LEGEND MODEL BOATS

There has been it seams a lot of interest in some of the future model releases of outboard model boat kits from Legend Model Boats recently, so to that end I will post some of the models we are thinking about doing.

First is a model which I will have to contact the manufacturer of since they are still in production by the same manufacturer since they were first built, The Aristo Craft Torpedo, a 14 1/2’ rocket ship that was burned in my memory since the 1962 when I first saw one for real. The boat was so far ahead of its time that its lines still make a statement today.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 10, 2012, 07:03 PM
Nice looking boat!
Apr 10, 2012, 07:23 PM
Grumpa Tom
Very snazzy!
Apr 10, 2012, 08:06 PM
The Aristo Craft is an interesting boat, could have possibilities!

I'm looking forward to the 16' Lyman, for sure- I'm already making room for it!

You might also look into "interpreting" some of the early fiberglass outboard boats with a laser cut wood kit- lots of interesting shapes and colors - and nostalgia.

http://www.fiberglassics.com/ is an interesting place to browse.
Apr 10, 2012, 08:10 PM
Had it's smaller brother early '50's. Merc Mark 20, 16hp advertised, probably 20+. Fun boat. Posted a picture a while back.
Apr 10, 2012, 11:08 PM
Thread OP
AEROMINDED- Thanks for the input on the suggestions but keep in mind one thing, Legend Model Boats is only making models of wooden real boats, not classic glass. This is what I set out to do when I started Legend Model Boats, but that was when there were still companies around doing fiberglass model boats.

I may have to rethink my approach on the matter of modeling other than classic wood boats, but not for a while. There are still a lot of wooden classics left I want to model first.
Last edited by frankg; Apr 28, 2012 at 07:03 PM.
Apr 11, 2012, 05:10 AM
Hey Rich, How about a Sid-Craft utility? I am going to loft my Dad's 1959 Sid-Craft DU Hornet at the ABM here shortly (once they're open weekends again), and will be building a couple models of it.

Or a Raveau? Maybe one of the Mercury 25,000 Mile endurance boats?
Apr 11, 2012, 05:32 AM
Woodfumbler......
Sweet boat like it, hope that you will produce it, then im on. The engine on the picture looks wrong to the boat, think the proboat brushless will look good on this one The thread name is modelS (notice the S as in more than one) would love to se more... Robert
Apr 11, 2012, 06:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankg
There has been it seams a lot of interest in some of the future model releases of outboard model boat kits from Legend Model Boats recently, so to that end I will post some of the models we are thinking about doing.

First is a model which I will have to contact the manufacturer of since they are still in production by the same manufacturer since they were first built, The Aristo Craft Torpedo, a 14 1/2’ rocket ship that was burned in my memory since the 1962 when I first saw one for real. The boat was so far ahead of its time that its lines still make a statement today.
Did someone make a boat simular to this one ,didn't have the light panel on it, but for some reason I think it had a bumble bee decal. late 50's a friends father had it
Apr 11, 2012, 06:38 AM
Thread OP
As far as I know there was never any insignia of any kind on the Aristo Craft boats. They all how every had their “Aristo Craft “ decal on the boat.

As for the “S” in models in the post, yes I will be doing a number of outboard models from days gone by. The one that may be a remake of an old kit some of you may remember is the “ TROJAN SEA BREESE” which was a outboard cabin cruiser.

Chinewalker- I would be interested in a set of line drawings for the boat for a look see as to a maybe a kit.

Apr 11, 2012, 08:11 AM
Quote:

Chinewalker- I would be interested in a set of line drawings for the boat for a look see as to a maybe a kit.

Rich - I would be happy to share my project notes and drawing with you. I'm actually hoping to get into the Museum before they open if time permits...
Apr 11, 2012, 08:32 AM
GILL
Hay Rich the Aristo Craft line had a few great looking boats, yes they were ahead of thier time. I'm glad that you are getting away from the CC's. I think they have been done to death.
You might want to look at Lonestar some thing like the Meteor.
http://www.theclassicboathouse.com/l...rmeteor59.html
If you don't I might.

My question is were people going to get the outboards. You could dummy an outboard, with a shaft under the model. Or a surface drive but that would not be scale.
Apr 11, 2012, 08:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Browndog
Did someone make a boat simular to this one ,didn't have the light panel on it, but for some reason I think it had a bumble bee decal. late 50's a friends father had it
You may be thinking of YELLOWJACKET boats. Molded plywood, very light and fast.
http://www.martyonline.com/yellow_ja...ory/index.html
Apr 11, 2012, 11:48 AM
Quote:
AEROMINDED- Thanks for the input on the suggestions but keep in mind one thing, Legend Model Boats is only making models of wooden real boats, not classic glass. This is what I set out to do when I started Legend Model Boats, but that was there were still companies around doing fiberglass model boats.

I may have to rethink my approach on the matter of modeling other than classic wood boats, but not for a while. There are still a lot of wooden classics left I want to model first.
I hear ya, there are a lot of boats out there that need to be built- I must admit that my familiarity with classic wood, outboard boats is limited- even more limited when it comes to those classic outboad boats that would look "right" with an EP-1 on the back- this takes out the earliest outboard boats- You've picked a good one already with the 16' Lyman.

"Classic Glass" offers a potentially larger playing field for classic "outboard boat" subjects- the kit itself could be wood, no need for it to be 'glass- to my knowlege there are exactly zero model kits available, wood or 'glass that capture this "transitional era"-- Perhaps there is a good reason for that.

Just a thought-
Apr 11, 2012, 01:21 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
Quote:
Originally Posted by GILL RC

My question is were people going to get the outboards. You could dummy an
outboard, with a shaft under the model. Or a surface drive but that would not be scale.

I was wondering the same thing, as it seems scale outboards
have been a bit rare over the last couple years. Especially since
the Aquacraft bass boat was discontinued.

Quick Reply