This thread is privately moderated by cactus, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Apr 01, 2011, 04:52 PM
< 250g FPV
Thread OP
Oh and I forgot to mention the GWS 9x5x3 props I am using needed more scotch tape than a Christmas present to get them statically balanced!
to remove ads between posts
Apr 05, 2011, 09:27 PM
< 250g FPV
Thread OP
Some flights today with a friend along to film.

WiiMulti.wmv (5 min 47 sec)
Last edited by cactus; Apr 06, 2011 at 11:53 AM.
Apr 14, 2011, 10:17 PM
< 250g FPV
Thread OP
This thing just keeps getting better. Night flying or twlight time is just too much fun. I have been getting more aggressive with it on every flight. It really handles nice. I can highly recommend putting one of these together especially if you already know how to fly single rotor helis.
Apr 20, 2011, 12:32 PM
Cereal Killer.
Hey cactus, I got my quad's endpoints adjust last night and motors to proper rotation.

I watched your video (nice flying, btw) and noticed when you arm yours, nothing happens. When i arm mine, all 4 motors start turning. i've not had props on to tell for sure, but i dont think it would be enough to lift it, sort of like an idle. Could this be related to the endpoints or something? I asked in the MW thread and it got buried in about 3 minutes, and thought maybe you came across this already.
Apr 20, 2011, 01:56 PM
< 250g FPV
Thread OP
What you are seeing is correct. In the Sketch code that you load into the Arduino, the configuration section (near where you define what type of copter you are flying) there is a line to Enable/Disable having the motors turn at low stick after arming. I made mine NOT spin up on arming. I don't have the code in front of me, but I can look tonight.
Apr 20, 2011, 01:58 PM
Cereal Killer.
That makes me feel better. Im running 1.7 final, and know the code section you speak of. Whats the best way to get it "out" and fix it? or is it better just upload a freshly edited version (better write down my PID stuff).

Thanks again.
Apr 20, 2011, 02:02 PM
< 250g FPV
Thread OP

Level Landing Pad

Near my home (about 100ft from my front door) there is an open field with plenty of room to fly my quad aggressively but there is no place to take off or land that is open and level so the gyros can init. I made a 3x3ft square of OSB with outdoor carpeting tacked on top and I placed two small levels on a washer and glued it to the edge near the handle I made. So now I have a mobile platform that can be leveled quickly. Works great! Pics will be up soon.
Apr 20, 2011, 02:06 PM
< 250g FPV
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by branflake12
That makes me feel better. Im running 1.7 final, and know the code section you speak of. Whats the best way to get it "out" and fix it? or is it better just upload a freshly edited version (better write down my PID stuff).

Thanks again.
Make sure you make a copy of the code you edit and save it in another folder. Then you know what you are running and what is old. You can upload that same sketch as many times as you want, but I think you do loose your PID/Rate/EXPO and switch assignments settings. Once you calibrate your end-points in the radio, that should never change...
Apr 20, 2011, 02:32 PM
Cereal Killer.
Great, since my 1.7 is bone stock, Ill reupload it but with that change (and also to shut off right stick disarming, i ran into that last night, could be troublesome).

Your Copter-Pad sounds nifty!
Apr 20, 2011, 10:35 PM
< 250g FPV
Thread OP

Landing Pad With Levels

Few shots of my home-brew leveled landing pad.
Apr 21, 2011, 08:45 AM
Cereal Killer.
Nice. Folds up to carry?

Also, where did you get the black tubing for your orientation ball?
Apr 21, 2011, 09:06 AM
< 250g FPV
Thread OP
Unfortunately it does not fold up and is rather heavy.

The tubing was scrap fiberglass from a kite frame joiner. The ball is made out of craft foam and is very light.
Apr 30, 2011, 10:46 PM
< 250g FPV
Thread OP

New Configuration

I'm trying a different visual configuration. Make it easier to tell the front from the back while flying at night and the "eyes" in the front with white to make me remember the front. I ditched the ball and painted the dome flat black.
May 04, 2011, 02:49 PM
< 250g FPV
Thread OP
Got a chance to fly the new visual configuration and I love it. No problems at all with telling the front from the back and the simplicity of the lights helps allot.
May 04, 2011, 02:55 PM
Cereal Killer.
You like it better than the 4 colors you were running? I havent applied mine yet, but got all 4 colors just in case.
Only problem i can see with yours is that at night it might be hard to tell if its going away from you it might look the same as if its heading straight back at you with a serious nose down angle, and vice versa. I suppose the eyes help with that. Any thoughts there?

I myself was thinking 4 colors might look a bit busy (or even 3) and like the look of yours.

Quick Reply