Sep 06, 2012, 12:33 PM
Addicted to building...
Looks great and you are getting close. Are you going to pull a clear canopy? If not, are you going to hollow the foam one out? Keep it coming!

Fred
to remove ads between posts
Sep 06, 2012, 05:05 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Looking good Chris!
Sep 07, 2012, 08:42 AM
it wasn't me flying that plane
Thread OP
Freddie,Dave,
Thanks for the encouragement fellas....

OK,
I finished up the wiring last night and I must admit I dislike soldering this tiny stuff..lol...And the tiny heat shrink...Oh my what a PITA....
I also wanted to mention my technique for hinging my control surfaces on these tiny little beast..
On my 70 mm jets I use dubro poly hinges with the stainless pin..(2 flat pieces of plastic with a pin for hinging)
But did not know what to use here to save weight..
I decided on taking a piece of blenderm tape and sticking the sticky side onto itself to create a piece double layered with the sticky sides stuck together..I cut a slit in the airframe first and slide the cut-to-size piece into the slit and then take a T-pin and dip it in gorilla glue to get a small drop on the tip and i slide this in the slit over the tape..also put a small drop under my tape hinge..I let these pieces dry in place and make sure I/am happy with the length and then do the same to the control surface..this gives me a hinge with nearly zero resistance..it takes nothing to push these back and forth..
Here's a pic or 3......,........Chris
Last edited by Hover or die; Sep 07, 2012 at 08:52 AM.
Sep 07, 2012, 09:18 AM
Looks great Chris! Paint,, I use the craft paints from wally, thin with windex, the surficant in it helps the paint to flow better, dry better too.. I use an airbrush for this.. Test on scrap, the spray cans might be lighter stuff though I don't know because I haven't used them.... good luck! walt
Sep 07, 2012, 09:44 AM
Addicted to building...
Hey Chris, I like your hinge idea, and that should be very strong and light. I will add that to my list of hinge materials and will sure give it a try. I use some Drafting Mylar Vellum most of the time using foam safe or Epoxy. The GG makes too much of a mess for me and dries slow. On real tiny stuff, Tyvek (Think Priority Mail Envelope ) works well, but needs a small hinge gap. Maybe I'll try doubling Tyvek like you did the Blenderm just to make it a bit stiffer. You couldn't tear Tyvek if you tried!

Hope you have a tiny soldering iron for your favorite micro soldering jobs! Makes life easy if you don't, get a 15/30w combo unit at Radio Shack, it's a great help to me on the tiny stuff.

Getting ready for a maiden I see! Good speed and best of luck. Hopefull Ksqm will get his F-20 done soon too because these two jets with composit ducts are sort of related now, and are both very cool!

Fred
Sep 09, 2012, 08:22 AM
Thread OP
Freddie,
Sorry I missed your question...yes I do plan to pull a canopy but need to build a box first so will prolly just use it as is for maiden and test flights.its very light as is without hogging out the foam..maybe 2 or 3 grams..
I need to form the tail pieces and add the front pin and tiny magnet to the canopy and should be ready for maiden..of course I will need a little spackle a a wee piece of sandpaper to pretty er' up....
My charging board for my cellpro 10s is not working on the 2 s plug so will have to get a new board to charge non thunder power packs..also will order a slew of batteries to try out this week..
Please let me know what you guys are using and where to purchase small 2 and 3 cells batteries up to 450-500 mah....Preferably 250-350...may...
Thanks fellas............chris
Sep 09, 2012, 10:12 AM
Addicted to building...
Wow Chris, that really looks hot! I love it. On batteries I always check Hobbypartz first. SkyLipo and GensAce are good, cheap, and get here fast! Think there is still free shipping if you meet a minimum. I got some nice batteries from Hobby Lobby taht were long and thin, 370's I think. NitroCharged swears by a source he has, but I never checked if they are Stateside.

Fred
Sep 09, 2012, 01:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddie B
Wow Chris, that really looks hot! I love it. On batteries I always check Hobbypartz first. SkyLipo and GensAce are good, cheap, and get here fast! Think there is still free shipping if you meet a minimum. I got some nice batteries from Hobby Lobby taht were long and thin, 370's I think. NitroCharged swears by a source he has, but I never checked if they are Stateside.

Fred
I was happy with my most recent purchase from Hobbypartz as well. They got here fast, price was right and they have been great batteries. I just wish they would keep their stuff in stock more.
Sep 09, 2012, 04:37 PM
Need 4 Speed!
HoD,
Looking good! What is your weight at this point?
Latest blog entry: original Y/A F-18 Kit
Sep 09, 2012, 04:55 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Me love rclipos.com long time. (www.rclipos.com)

Based in the USA. Fast shipping. I always recommend the TP G6 series where possible.

Almost there Chris. She's lookin' good.
Sep 09, 2012, 05:07 PM
Thread OP
Freddie,
Thank you I will check the site to see what's availible..
Primate,thanks
Pdawg,
Thanks!
74 grams with the little 200 mah battery..one little piece of dep to go now + a little spackle..another couple 3 grams or so....of course it will gain another few with added color..
Nitro,
Thanks will check it..I love the g6 series myself..tough as nails for me personally..results may very...lol...trying to avoid a stoning here.....batteries are a touchy subject round these parts.....
Take care fellas................Chris

More pics tonight or in the morning....
Sep 11, 2012, 11:04 AM
Thread OP
Well alright...
I am finished with all but attaching the ailerons..i will finish the bodywork before doing this last part so i do not damage these fragile parts..
I'm pretty happy with the first build of this jet at this scale and i now know where to make the small changes to tweak the airframe into a better example of this jet..

I'm going to finish the spackle and sanding and will then start thinking about building a plug for the micro-viper..
I have little doubt it will be a good flier as they all are and the little German tosser model flies extremely well as a pusher set up properly..
This will certainly be my first set of plugs for composite jets..I believe I have just about figured out the process for doing this airframe..
I will post more pics after I have the sanding done..its already getting a smooth look about it..here's a few/and more pics to come..
I will also video the maiden..ordering 2 and 3 cell packs today..a little mixture but mostly the tp 350's in 2 and 3s..
Take care................Chris

83 grams right now all up..will lose 1 or 2 from sanding all the excess spackle that's there for filling..I will post where it is after body and paint.....ooppps,also have those 5 little pieces of wire and my 5 tiny plywood control horns..no more than a gram or 2 for all that tiny stuff..I doubt the 5 horns would even register..lol.
Last edited by Hover or die; Sep 11, 2012 at 11:16 AM.
Sep 11, 2012, 03:37 PM
Addicted to building...
Excited for you and the build. Just wanted to mention a very little Rubbing Alcohol (Isopropyl) goes a long way to make tape fall off of the foam without leaving any damage or marks. Well you do have to drip it on the edge, lift slowly as the alcohol follows the tape edge and yes, it all but falls off! Practice you will like it!

Fred
Sep 11, 2012, 04:50 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
That thing looks fast just sitting there Chris!
Sep 20, 2012, 07:19 PM
Thread OP
Alright,most of the body work is done and I'm waiting on my testors paint markers to show up to put some color on this thing..
I'm ordering the stuff I need this week to get my composite off the ground and running..
I have an idea I want to try and will detail my trial and errors right here..I may expand the title to include composite construction...
I will be starting the plugs this week after flying and wringing out the jet on 2 and 3 cells...my elevators are a tad bit on the small side and i want to see if they need enlarged,ect....
Here's a few pics to show most of the body work finished on this little prototype..my batteries should be here tomorrow...I think they were having aircraft problems and had to revert to the pony express to get my package across from Cali..lol
I ended up getting a pair on 2 and a pair of 3 cells TP 350's or 325's what ever they/are....lmao.....
Been so long I forgot the size...lol...alright you guys let me have it if its a dog....
Also time for a new thread,,,wink,wink...

Quick Reply