View Poll Results: Add Another Option: BMN (Bare Minimum Necessities)
no batteries, no charger, and no tx! $59.99(BMN) 776 86.61%
were just asking for too much 120 13.39%
Voters: 896. You may not vote on this poll

Oct 07, 2011, 08:52 AM
AAces High
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATC Chilli
I started getting an occasional loud screeching noise when flying my UM T-28. It lasts a few seconds with loss of power. Is it time to replace the gear box or could it possibly be the motor?
Mine started doing that about a week after I bought it. I checked and lubed the GB but the problem persisted. It tuned out to be the front bearing in the motor. I replaced it and all has been fine since. From what I've read elsewhere these motors can be problematic.

Reset

EDIT: Duhhh I see this has been addressed.. Sorry to step on your toes cardnation..
Last edited by aeronaught; Oct 07, 2011 at 08:58 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 07, 2011, 09:00 AM
Okay Thanks. I have about 20 flights on mine. My GB looks good. I lubed it and the front motor bearing. If worst comes to worst, I'll replance the motor. Thanks guys!!
Oct 07, 2011, 10:30 AM
DX5e fatal flaw- PM me!!!!
My home-terminated Hyp 240 cells are quite nice to run when it's breezy, but it does need much more elevator to fly inverted.

Dave
Oct 07, 2011, 02:13 PM

Now for something completely different... well, at least for me

Funny you'd mention "breezy." I'm thinking about taking my T-28 to fly early in the morning on the beach when I'm in Florida next month. The winds should lighter in the morning but since it's on the beach, I'm still expecting more wind than I usually fly in (less than 5 mph). Any battery recommendations? Other advice? I do love the Hyperion brand.
Oct 07, 2011, 02:22 PM
Battery further forwards than usual and keep it out of the sand, at least out of the dry sand, or you'll be cleaning the prop and servo gears all the time.

Dave
Oct 07, 2011, 02:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY_Dave
Battery further forwards than usual and keep it out of the sand, at least out of the dry sand, or you'll be cleaning the prop and servo gears all the time.

Dave
Can you land on a beach towel??
Oct 07, 2011, 02:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSEN
Can you land on a beach towel??
Now that might be a challenge for me. Good points on the sand, not to mention the water.

There are some very lightly traveled roadways to the beach. I may just keep the LG on and stick to landing on the roadways near the beach. I've gotten pretty good on touch-and-goes. I've noticed the T-28 can be fun with a little light wind "surfing," as long as the wind is fairly constant and not too turbulent. Thought I'd try a little beach wind soaring.

Currently using Hyperion 160's. Maybe move the battery a little further forward, as suggested, and add a little ballast, if necessary.
Oct 07, 2011, 02:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG
Now that might be a challenge for me. Good points on the sand, not to mention the water.

There are some very lightly traveled roadways to the beach. I may just keep the LG on and stick to landing on the roadways near the beach. I've gotten pretty good on touch-and-goes. I've noticed the T-28 can be fun with a little light wind "surfing," as long as the wind is fairly constant and not too turbulent. Thought I'd try a little beach wind soaring.

Currently using Hyperion 160's. Maybe move the battery a little further forward, as suggested, and add a little ballast, if necessary.
Where in FL are you going? I will be in Daytona Beach in January. Thinking of getting a champ and see if my 92 year old father wants to learn to fly it
Oct 07, 2011, 03:08 PM
Just down the road from Daytona Beach, in Cocoa Beach. I don't have a Champ but I'll bet it would be hoot for your father.
Oct 07, 2011, 08:31 PM
F18
F18
Quote:
Funny you'd mention "breezy." I'm thinking about taking my T-28 to fly early in the morning on the beach when I'm in Florida next month. The winds should lighter in the morning but since it's on the beach, I'm still expecting more wind than I usually fly in (less than 5 mph). Any battery recommendations? Other advice? I do love the Hyperion brand.
Unlike the UM Corsair, UM Mosquito and UM P51 the UM T-28 has a very exposed spur gear. The beach sand and grit can really do a number on the small teeth on it if you take a header into the dunes. Bring along a small stiff bristle paint brush to reach behind the prop to clean away any debris in the spur gear and pinion.
Oct 09, 2011, 08:53 AM
I sold off my UM Trojan to work on some heli skills. thanks for all the wisdom and knowledge.
Oct 10, 2011, 07:13 AM
PA Enthusiast
Also, canned air (like you use on computers)for keeping the gears clean.....
Oct 10, 2011, 09:26 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Just down the road from Daytona Beach, in Cocoa Beach. I don't have a Champ but I'll bet it would be hoot for your father.
I haven't lived there for a long time but the areas just south of Melbourne beach were never crowded. That would be a great place to fly. Also Spessard Holland beach has a nice flat parking lot to land on.
Oct 10, 2011, 03:53 PM
Trying to fly inverted; but every time I do the plane drops nose dives out of the sky. I will usually roll and apply full down elevator and or throttle but the plane usually ends up hitting the ground anyway. Do I need more elevator travel? I haven't opened up the plane yet since I taped up the nose when i first got it. I'm coming from the heli world and can fly inverted without issues.
Oct 10, 2011, 03:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scriber
Trying to fly inverted; but every time I do the plane drops nose dives out of the sky. I will usually roll and apply full down elevator and or throttle but the plane usually ends up hitting the ground anyway. Do I need more elevator travel? I haven't opened up the plane yet since I taped up the nose when i first got it. I'm coming from the heli world and can fly inverted without issues.
Center-of-gravity is critical, and you will need to move the elevator rod closer to the pivot at the elevator.

Heavy battery or forwards CG makes inverted much harder.

Dave

Quick Reply