Oct 10, 2012, 10:10 PM
Thread OP
Help!

Where should I start ?

Hi guys ! It's been a while for me, and I'm a bit out of the loop..
This plane is getting to be pretty hard to find ( Extra 300L House of Balsa).. So, I picked up this crashed bird for cheap, in hopes of fixing it.. Like I said, I haven't worked on anything in a while.. Where would you guys start the repair process ?
to remove ads between posts
Oct 11, 2012, 03:02 AM
Thread OP
Thanks for the reply Rick.. Although, the airplane is on their website, it is long out of production, and unavailable.. HOB, is local to me and I've made a phone call to them.. This kit is no more.. I kind of want to rebuild it for the fun of it.. I do have the plans, and a spare kit to duplicate parts.. So in my opinion, I'm ahead of the game..

Not sure whether, to start cutting the former before the wing saddle, or to make a new firewall? I've rebuilt planes in the past and built several kits... But, sometimes repairing can be a challenge.. I'm open for suggestions..

Thanks
Oct 11, 2012, 03:07 AM
Thread OP
Oh, and thanks Rick for the links.. I will be purchasing a fiberglass cowl for this project..
Oct 11, 2012, 02:30 PM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
I think for that amount of damage, you may just be better off building a new fuse.
Oct 11, 2012, 03:07 PM
Reduce the drama...
Suggestion:
Cut the airframe in half, lengthwise top to bottom.
Restore framework (bulkheads, spines, stringers.
Regards
Rick
Oct 11, 2012, 05:59 PM
Thread OP
I have to kindly disagree with you dedstick .. I've seen much, much, worse brought back from the dead.. Problem is these days there aren't to many builders left..
Oct 11, 2012, 06:51 PM
Reduce the drama...
We're here, always been, always will.
Oct 12, 2012, 03:45 AM
Bellanca Kruesair

Restoration

Add as much stuff as you can,before removing as LITTLE as you can..Leaving things in place helps alignment a whole lot.

Since this is the "builders's Corner",step forward and build.

Recently,there have been several repairs done......the Citabria comes to mind.

I don't know how to "Link" you,but his is a classic example of what to do in your type of repairs.

Patience and accurate measurements will get you well on your way.

Good luck on the repairs.Keep us posted.
Oct 12, 2012, 12:38 PM
Play that funky music right
Do you have any of the missing parts? Even if damaged hey can serve as a pattern for new. If you have the firewall that would go a LONG ways to getting on the right track.

The CAP in my avatar started life as a H9 ARF. It, not me crashed due to the horizontal stab not wanting to play with the rest of the plane At first glance I thought a new wing would fix most of the damage along with said stab repair. WRONG! The fuse doublers had mostly broken loose from the balsa sheet and the light ply formers were heavily damaged. I wound up scratch building a whole new plane. I did save the canopy, cowl, turtle deck behind the canopy and the rudder and elevator. I used the parts and pieces as patterns for new parts. Some would say it should have been trashed and they are right. I took the challenge and have a pretty nice plane.

Good luck on your rebuild. Keep us posted on the progress!

ken
Oct 12, 2012, 07:30 PM
Thread OP
Hi Ken...

No, I do not have any of the crashed parts.. But, I do have a new kit.. I can scratch build the bulkhead and firewall.. Congrats, on getting your cap flying again...!
Where would you start Ken ?
Oct 12, 2012, 09:50 PM
Play that funky music right
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCdude7478
Hi Ken...

No, I do not have any of the crashed parts.. But, I do have a new kit.. I can scratch build the bulkhead and firewall.. Congrats, on getting your cap flying again...!

Well, it kind of crashed again https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1743082

Where would you start Ken ?
Well, first off I would strip the covering to check the rest of the fuse to make sure it is worthy of saving. If not you have the perfect opportunity to copy the parts in your kit to rebuild a new fuse. You can reuse the old canopy and turtle deck.

Provided the fuse can be used again I would see if the doubles forward of the wing saddle could be removed. It would make tying into the old part easier. If not, no problem. Glue up any cracks in the fuse to restore what you have to as good as possible. Make new sides forward of what is broken. Leave them plenty long to help position the new firewall. Repair the top after the new firewall is in place. If the firewall will tie into the top as is that is even better. Use some tri stock on the side/firewall junction and a little glass cloth on the top/firewall junction for strength. Fuel proof now while it is wide open then fill in the bottom where the LG fits. Use plenty of tri stock to tie everything together.

I have a Hobbico Extra 300s that lost it's fire wall in flight... Like you I don't have the missing pieces. Almost exactly the same repair you have there. I have no plans of kit to reference from so it will be a bit more of a challenge. I do have the assembly manual though with some pictures.

For all you out there reading this.....The moral of the story is..... SAVE all the parts and pieces you can find of your crash. If you don't want to fix it, maybe the next guy will. Having the pieces goes a LONG way towards the repair.

Good luck on your repair. Keep us in the loop!

Ken

PS Because of my rebuild of my CAP, i was given a CG Pitts S12 Monster with a broken firewall and lower wing panel crushed with four aileron servos still in the wings and a Sig Ultimate bipe profile with a broken wing. Part of a kit with a new wing parts came with the deal.
Oct 12, 2012, 09:57 PM
Thread OP
I just bought a Sig Ultimate kit.. It's built and ready to go !
Should be a ton of fun.. ! Thanks for taking the time to respond..
I will be attacking this plane soon ...

Quick Reply