May 09, 2012, 02:56 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Locating receiver, ESC, battery and antenna

Are there any problems mounting these items closely together? I'm running out of room in the fuselage with a scratch build. I have a thunder 2700 mah 3S battery, CC Ice 50 amp ESC and Futaba R617FS 2.4 GHz FASST receiver.

To balance properly, I am pretty sure the battery will have to be located directly behind the firewall, followed by the ESC directly behind the battery with the receiver directly behind the ESC. There is a tray over the wing (low wing) running from the firewall aft to the trailing edge of the wing. I have a little latitude with the antenna.

Can I expect any problems with this setup?

All replies appreciated.
to remove ads between posts
May 09, 2012, 05:36 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
1) Read the instructions on installation best practices.

are there problems? Maybe, maybe not.

Normally 2.4 FASST is not affected by ESC as their frequencies are different and FASST is extremely interference resistant. BUT.... your smileage will vary.
May 09, 2012, 06:31 PM
68 years an RC flyer
The key requirement is that the antennas be well separated, not blocked by conductive stuff (battery, electronics, CF, aluminum landing gear, etc.) and have the active portions (the last 31mm or so) of the two more or less at right angles. Radios on 2.4 are remarkably resistant to noise but at least one of the antennas needs to be getting a reasonable signal at all times.
May 09, 2012, 09:08 PM
Thread OP
Thanks, guys. I reviewed what information I have. There is nothing in the CC instructions, and in the Futaba instructions, the only thing mentioned was the antenna installation. I'm thinking I saw something about an ESC interfering with a receiver a while back, but a search turned up nothing.

Oh, well. On the bright side, this radio came with a second free receiver. At least I'll have a few things to try again.
May 09, 2012, 10:35 PM
68 years an RC flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwilliams20
Thanks, guys. I reviewed what information I have. There is nothing in the CC instructions, and in the Futaba instructions, the only thing mentioned was the antenna installation. I'm thinking I saw something about an ESC interfering with a receiver a while back, but a search turned up nothing.

Oh, well. On the bright side, this radio came with a second free receiver. At least I'll have a few things to try again.
The ESC is not likely to bother the receiver even if they are very close. Some people even mount them back to back.
May 10, 2012, 08:21 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
There is always a chance of interference, but typically you are OK. Do your range check with the motor off and with the motor at 1/2 throttle. If you pass both you should be OK.
May 10, 2012, 10:44 AM
Thread OP
Alright! I feel better now. Just don't want to start out with a failure.

Thanks for your help.

Quick Reply