This thread is privately moderated by Wake Turbulence, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Nov 18, 2009, 09:17 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Thread OP
Cool

Hawk

This guy was in my back yard on Sunday.
Last edited by Wake Turbulence; Nov 18, 2009 at 09:35 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 18, 2009, 09:36 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Looks like a dove/pigeon had a bad day...................

Mike W
Nov 18, 2009, 10:32 PM
][' ([]) ([]) [[_
looks more like a mocking bird.look at the first photo with its wing tips.
Nov 18, 2009, 10:54 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
Been checking Peterson's Field guide, looks like Cooper's Hawk.
To me it looks like a dove had the bad day. The tail feathers are all that seem to be in the picture.
Just my opinion. Cool pictures. Nice Job.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Honor, MI.
Nov 18, 2009, 10:55 PM
just CHUCK it!
That would be a Coopers hawk....One very fast and extremely high tempered hawk. Used to do falconry and had one......She was a handfull!
Nov 18, 2009, 11:06 PM
Yup! A Coopers! Beautiful bird. Lucky you that you got to see on in your back yard like that. Though I'm coming to find out that the Coopers and Sharpshin are gutsy little birds. Had a Sharpshin come in one time, less that 15ft. and take a sparrow that I was using for training with my Kestrel.
Fun agile little birds.
Nov 19, 2009, 05:39 AM
space1
i love hawk;s https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1117083
Nov 19, 2009, 09:00 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by racingodds
That would be a Coopers hawk....One very fast and extremely high tempered hawk. Used to do falconry and had one......She was a handfull!
a Local guy here does Falconry in the SCA. He has a red tailed hawk Sally. and not sure if he still has the coopers named T-X ( fitting name for it imo, that coopers shared the same tude that T-X from T-3 had.)

Sally on the other hand was gentle as could be. Watched her hunt once. Rabbit ducked under tall grass and she laid eyes on a 4-5 year old wearing a hoody w/hood up. She lost the rabbit and laid eyes on the boy. I held out my hand for the boy to stop he did but then Sally looked at me. I lowered my arm thinking she was going to fly over...... but i guess since I took her perch away she landed on my neck as I ducked Very gentle hawk.

They poked the grass, and Sally was on that rabbit quick. was a fun day
Nov 19, 2009, 09:40 AM
Closed Account
Does it look like this?
Last edited by bluefalconhollan; Feb 09, 2010 at 12:15 PM.
Nov 19, 2009, 10:03 AM
Nice pics. It looks like the one I saw up here in NJ eating a bird as well. I saw feathers flying and it landed on top of a light pole having a feast lol. I have to find where I put the video and pictures.
Nov 19, 2009, 08:42 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Thread OP
I saw this bird hanging out in the tree that's outside the edge of my yard for two weeks, I got pictures of him then. I didn't know that he was really on a stake out.
Nov 19, 2009, 08:46 PM
Not all Red Tailed Hawks are like that. Mine wasn't. She had a temper on her. Might not be as high strung as Sharpie, or Coopers, or other falcons. Birds tempers are just as wildly varied a humans are. I now a Gry Falcon that is very gentle, so much so, that you can handle her without a glove.

Below is a picture of her

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metieval
Sally on the other hand was gentle as could be.... Very gentle hawk.
Nov 19, 2009, 08:51 PM
This one looks like it might be a Sharpshinned Hawk. Hard for me to tell without actually seeing it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wake Turbulence
I saw this bird hanging out in the tree that's outside the edge of my yard for two weeks, I got pictures of him then. I didn't know that he was really on a stake out.

Quick Reply