Aug 23, 2015, 09:59 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by zewill
Get a free account with FedEx. Ask hobbyking to add your account number in their shipping. Call fedex when you get your tracking number and and link it to yout account. It's a lot of work but you save 10 bucks brokerage. You will still pay taxes though.
I always declare full value... But I see a lot of people declare different values on hobbyking... Where do you get this option? I don't see it in the checkout...
Thanks for the hint. Does this apply to high value shipments, too?
HobbyKing tend to declare a value of 30% automatically when stuff comes from Hong Kong. Not sure if they do the same for stuff coming from US warehouse. I don't think we get a choice on this.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 24, 2015, 07:21 PM
I think so but depends what you mean by high value. I ordered from hongkong and didn't get to declare less.. It that's ok as it's risky, especially with fedex.
Aug 26, 2015, 04:35 PM
Its funny, because now i see the option to declare different value on their website... Didnt get the option a few days earlier... Wierd!
Mar 20, 2016, 11:58 PM
Seeing that you are from Canada, what is your experience with Team Great Hobbies 50C batteries?
Mar 21, 2016, 10:00 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creative RC
Seeing that you are from Canada, what is your experience with Team Great Hobbies 50C batteries?
I no longer post on RC Groups due to their ridiculous censorship rules and the God-like philosophy of their mods. I have migrated to HobbySquawk.com as "xviper2". I can also be reached at RC Universe and rccanada.ca as "xviper".
I am making this one exception just to let you know that I will send you my response by PM. Please ensure your PMs are activated.
Any further questions, I will gladly answer via PM but this is my last post here until RC Groups dramatically changes their censorship rules, moderation attitudes and issues a public APOLOGY to everyone they have offended and chased away.
Jun 03, 2016, 05:03 PM
Getting back to shipping LIPOs to Canada,...
I ordered some equipment and 8 LIPO batteries a week ago from Hobby King Int'l. I chose the Fedex method and all seemed fine (although expensive). After complaining about an invalid tracking number, Hobby King sent me a UPS website for the tracking. Now I'm fighting with UPS to see where my package is. It appears to have gone from China to Alaska, Louiseville, Hamilton ON, and New Brunswick. I live in Ontario. Is UPS now the only shipping option with Hobby King?
Oct 21, 2016, 08:12 AM
Sorry to revive the thread. I was about order some lipos from HK but decided not to.

Instead, I've ordered a lipo from Banggood along with other items, all shipped separately. The other items have arrived many weeks ago except for the lipo.

I know all the hoopla with respect to importing lipos to Canada. I'm just wondering whether customs would actually confiscate the lipo? I've ordered 1s 3.7's with a charger and noticed that they do put "charger" on the customs declaration form, but never order a single 3s lipo before.

Thoughts? Experiences?
Last edited by rcmark127; Oct 21, 2016 at 09:00 AM.
Oct 21, 2016, 08:31 AM

LIPOs

I did end up receiving my LIPO batteries by UPS from Hobby King in about one week. Apparently Hobby King only ships LIPOs by courier, which is very expensive to Canada.

I once ordered a transmitter which had a LIPO in it from Hobby King by regular mail. After 5 weeks I started complaining about not having received it. They assured me it would arrive. It finally did in 8 weeks! They explained it had to go by ship instead of air because of the LIPO.

Now with the Samsung Note 7's and the Hoverboard batteries catching fire, I'm sure it will be even more difficult to ship LIPOs.
Jan 24, 2017, 02:44 PM
Suspended Account
Breaking my "no posting on RCGroups" to update with new information.

Purchased some batteries from HobbyKing US west warehouse in Oregon. Purchase was $95.00 US. I just got a bill FedEx for $45.00 in fees. THIS IS INSANE! Something has changed with FedEx. BUYER BEWARE!
Jan 24, 2017, 04:36 PM
Yes, it's insane! Most of that is likely the brokerage fee. The last time I ordered from HK West Warehouse, I had it shipped by Fedex to the US near the border, then I drove to that pick-up location and brought it over the border myself. Customs did not charge anything, but it's always a gamble that way. I live about an hour from the border in Ontario. NEVER use Fedex to ship to Canada unless it's necessary. USPS is much cheaper and normally does not charge a brokerage fee. The problem is they won't ship batteries by USPS any more.
Jan 24, 2017, 07:13 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by tictac80
Yes, it's insane! Most of that is likely the brokerage fee. The last time I ordered from HK West Warehouse, I had it shipped by Fedex to the US near the border, then I drove to that pick-up location and brought it over the border myself. Customs did not charge anything, but it's always a gamble that way. I live about an hour from the border in Ontario. NEVER use Fedex to ship to Canada unless it's necessary. USPS is much cheaper and normally does not charge a brokerage fee. The problem is they won't ship batteries by USPS any more.
HobbyKing west warehouse only has FedEx as their shipping option to Canada, no matter what you buy. I won't make that mistake again.
Oddly enough, MotionRC is still using USPS to ship batteries to Canada so long as the mah total is not excessive. Also, for bigger items, using UPS expedited is also much cheaper. I ordered a $500.00 plane from them and the shipping was only around $50.00 and UPS sent me a bill for another $10.00 when it got here.

Quick Reply