Dec 08, 2012, 07:09 PM
I am surprised anyone would feel the need to upgrade to a bigger motor and battery. I just tried this silly little 3 blade propeller and it fits perfectly:

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=23966

and I used this colet adapter:

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=19593

I am using a tired old 3S battery (20C) and the new prop has about 2mm clearance with the fuselage. This thing is much quiter now and it is insanely fast. It pulls about 28 amps when the battery is fresh, but that drops down pretty fast at full throttle with this battery. I toss it, literally piont it stright vertical and it climbs continuously until it's nearly out of sight. If I fly it around at full throttle, I am afraid it might rip the wings off. Now you can really feel the plane push nose down when you throttle it up. With that much power pushing above the Center of Gravity, you can really feel that effect now. That was one heck of a $5 investment.
Last edited by paul2pilot; Dec 08, 2012 at 07:21 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 09, 2012, 02:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul2pilot View Post
I am surprised anyone would feel the need to upgrade to a bigger motor and battery. I just tried this silly little 3 blade propeller and it fits perfectly:
Yeah I guess I am just not that advanced of a pilot to need anything over 70mph lol I am sure one day I will! I huck it into the air as well and it takes off perfectly. I'm using a master airscrew 6x4 3blade and its sharp (cut my finger lol) and way quieter then the stock prop.
Dec 09, 2012, 02:24 AM
An Aussie in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyhoc3 View Post
Yeah I guess I am just not that advanced of a pilot to need anything over 70mph lol I am sure one day I will! I huck it into the air as well and it takes off perfectly. I'm using a master airscrew 6x4 3blade and its sharp (cut my finger lol) and way quieter then the stock prop.
Mine is way more noisier than stock Sounds like a small jet!. Building another one with a upgraded 2700 KV motor with cut down wings. Will not fly as slow but should have a faster top speed.
Dec 09, 2012, 03:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrnk View Post
Mine is way more noisier than stock Sounds like a small jet!. Building another one with a upgraded 2700 KV motor with cut down wings. Will not fly as slow but should have a faster top speed.
I wonder how well they glide after cutting the tips off. sounds like fun haha
Dec 10, 2012, 01:21 AM
I have just bought the PNF kit for this. The wing servo on one side of the wing is not factory aligned correctly. On neutral position the flaps is a bit up compare to the other side.

Is there a good way to remove the servo for adjustment?

Also I am not sure how to put the props on, it comes with so many of them little black adapters. Which one do I use and how far does it need to go towards the end of the motor rod?
Dec 10, 2012, 01:33 AM
BGR
BGR
Foam Junkie
Quote:
Originally Posted by quacka View Post
I have just bought the PNF kit for this. The wing servo on one side of the wing is not factory aligned correctly. On neutral position the flaps is a bit up compare to the other side.

Is there a good way to remove the servo for adjustment?

Also I am not sure how to put the props on, it comes with so many of them little black adapters. Which one do I use and how far does it need to go towards the end of the motor rod?
The servos are held in with double back foam tape. You can carefully pry up one side and then pull them out. Remove the foam tape and get them setup the way you want, then hot glue them in. I did this on both of my AXNs so that I could adjust the arms.

I use a bullet type prop adapter on mine, I believe that the shaft is 3 mm so this adapter should work.
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...r-3.0mm/Detail

Find the ring that fits snugly on the prop adapter and super glue it into the prop hole.
Last edited by BGR; Dec 10, 2012 at 01:43 AM.
Dec 10, 2012, 05:19 AM
Thanks BGR. I will try to remove it in the weekend.

So the prop saver and plastic rings that comes with the kit is no good?
Dec 10, 2012, 05:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by quacka View Post
Thanks BGR. I will try to remove it in the weekend.

So the prop saver and plastic rings that comes with the kit is no good?
Mine flew off within a few minutes of flying So I put the 3mm prop adapter on
Here is where I bought mine you get 2 for the price of one http://www.ebay.com/itm/200851108178...84.m1497.l2649
Dec 10, 2012, 04:32 PM
Crash Expert
My brother and I just put this on ours
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=28117

and the prop adapter
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=24527

We had one flight on the stock setup, then 4+ of the magnets got loose. We didn't lose any of them, but I'm not going to trust the stock motor with my FPV stuff on it. Did about 4-5 minutes of flight and only lost .1V per cell on a 3S 2200mAh battery and 60amp Esc. Might be overkill, but we had the 60 amp esc laying around. Also using a Master Airscrew "Electric Only" 2 blade prop 6x3. Goes like nobody's business, but still floats as it should. No problem doing loops etc. Hope to get some vids up soon, as this is our first FPV, we are making it because he is legally blind. He can see about 6ft from him depending upon lighting conditions...but he can see a TV just fine if he sits up close. He should be able to fly it if all goes well.

I do have a question though...it just snowed 15 inches or so here. I was thinking we could take it out for a few more test flights with added weight to simulate the camera etc. If I cover the two holes up front, I should be able to land in the snow without any problems right? (on top of it I hope )
Dec 10, 2012, 07:20 PM
Just thumbing through...
Covering the vents is good, should be cool enough anyway. Make sure to shake out any snow, including around the wing servos. And get video!
Dec 10, 2012, 09:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyhoc3 View Post
I wonder how well they glide after cutting the tips off. sounds like fun haha
I cut about 7" off each wing tip (just before it starts to curve upward) and it's still very floaty but now I can do aileron rolls...maybe 2 in one second.
Dec 10, 2012, 10:35 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Quote:

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=23966

and I used this colet adapter:

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=19593

I am using a tired old 3S battery (20C) and the new prop has about 2mm clearance with the fuselage. This thing is much quiter now and it is insanely fast. It pulls about 28 amps when the battery is fresh, but that drops down pretty fast at full throttle with this battery. I toss it, literally piont it stright vertical and it climbs continuously until it's nearly out of sight. If I fly it around at full throttle, I am afraid it might rip the wings off. Now you can really feel the plane push nose down when you throttle it up. With that much power pushing above the Center of Gravity, you can really feel that effect now. That was one heck of a $5 investment.
Looks like you hooked it up to a wattmeter so could you give us the other specs like watts and voltage?
Dec 11, 2012, 01:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eckace1 View Post
Looks like you hooked it up to a wattmeter so could you give us the other specs like watts and voltage?
I am using a stock 3S battery, so by definition, it's 12.6 volts when fully charged. Peak wattage will vary depending on the C-rating of your battery. In my case, the voltage drops down to about 10.5 volts when running wide open, so that's about 290 watts (28 amps times 10.5 volts). The wattage drops quickly at wide open throttle. I woudl say it was down to about 230 watts within 30 to 40 seconds. Again, these figures will vary depending on the C-rating of the battery. If you use a 40C battery, your voltage won't drop nearly as much and you will end up cranking more watts (possibly enough to overheat? Not sure.).
Dec 11, 2012, 02:23 AM
An Aussie in Chicago
Quote:
I am using a stock 3S battery, so by definition, it's 12.6 volts when fully charged. Peak wattage will vary depending on the C-rating of your battery. In my case, the voltage drops down to about 10.5 volts when running wide open, so that's about 290 watts (28 amps times 10.5 volts). The wattage drops quickly at wide open throttle. I woudl say it was down to about 230 watts within 30 to 40 seconds. Again, these figures will vary depending on the C-rating of the battery. If you use a 40C battery, your voltage won't drop nearly as much and you will end up cranking more watts (possibly enough to overheat? Not sure.).
That engine should easily pull 40-50amps with the right battery / propeller combination.
Dec 11, 2012, 11:18 AM
Crash Expert
Quote:
Originally Posted by victapilot View Post
Covering the vents is good, should be cool enough anyway. Make sure to shake out any snow, including around the wing servos. And get video!
Will do. Hope to sneak it out soon, the wind has been up as the storm passed through.

Quick Reply