Oct 30, 2011, 02:13 AM
AvB
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
It was even better at Shorncliffe this arvo! Lots of planes in the air when I arrived at 3:10 and I could hardly find a park near the spot! I think there were 10 planes in the air at one time with lots of crazy combat. The highlight for Gerard and me was man-on-man racing our Ozpreys - it got really fast and we were inches apart a lot of the time. We were really locked in and going as hard as we could. The turns were super tight and fast, and I hogged the lip like an F3F demon but Gerard is a hard man to shake. Kept it up for ages and at one stage Mark joined in with his modded Alula. Gerard and I had several inevitable mid-airs, but the planes were always going the same way and tumbled in lightly with no damage. I had an over-the road crash when I launched, looked around and locked onto Gerard's Ozprey while mine arced over onto the opposite footpath but no damage. I somehow blew the SC2 way out the back and managed to fly back through the powerlines and back over the fence. Then on my last flight, while racing Gerard again, the Ozprey seemed to go off line on the turn and landed on the edge of a roof ... no damage and easy recovery.

Huge fun, great lift and a great crowd. I got to meet ElectricRichie and Peter who lives in Honk Kong for months at a time and flies with the guys over there.

Hey Jim etc, Mark was there again so I got some video of his Alula, both in the air and on the ground. Hope to post it later.

P.S. Sean, thanks for checking it out. I can be parked at Bandicoot in 1hr 15 and light nice DS, compared to Maleny 1hr and nil or dodgy DS, so I'll be tempted to visit Bandicoot if I'm free and there's a decent N to NE this summer.
Last edited by AvB; Oct 30, 2011 at 02:25 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 30, 2011, 07:17 PM
It flies!

Is- Free 2 Pack

Has anyone here used isocyanate free 2 pack? Just curious how it compares to regular 2 pack, what the drawbacks are, etc. I started a thread asking about it here:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1531087
Oct 30, 2011, 08:25 PM
Registered Loser
Sunday was nice and windy down Victor Harbor way so I went for a look. First called in at Tunk and had a quick fly and caught up witha few PG buddies, was too strong for PG to fly so I went over to the Bluff at Victor and met up with Glenn and Terry, some fellow SA slopers. They fly at the bluff most weekends and occasionally come along to second valley or wherever it is that Dave and I are flying. Good guys. The wind was pretty S and we flew the main bowl for a while in less than stellar lift then I went to the SE face for a look. The lift was much better so we relocated and had a blast. Glenn ventured to the top to check whether the DS zone would work. I had my doubts because of the wind direction but was surprised shortly after to see Glenns' Zagi lapping it up. So of course we relocated again. Had some fun laps and a few pretty quick ones til inevitably my Fat Albert met the rock garden and smashed some spars. Meanwhile Glenn continued to do laps with the Zagi. Some lucky and hilarious escapes and one or two arrivals but his plane survived longer than mine. He's getting pretty confident DSing now. So another nice arvo of flying.

Glenns Zagi tears up the Bluff (0 min 56 sec)

and a vid of extreme (ly slow) DS action from Glenn
Last edited by gizzo; Oct 30, 2011 at 09:22 PM.
Oct 31, 2011, 04:58 AM
AvB
AvB
Mark at Shorncliffe has a uniquely modified Alula which flies insanely well. I mentioned it the other day and Jimbello and others wanted to hear more about it. We caught up with Mark again on Sunday, so I got a bit of video and Gerard got some photos.

Mark has set up a central elevator with its own servo, and the elevons become ailerons. He has previously done this with his heavy Windrider Bat with great success. He reckons that it's less drag and more stable to keep the elevator central and not have the ailerons and elevator mixed up. I don't have a grip on the theory but one thing I can say for sure is that the Alula (and the Bat) fly incredibly well.

The tail fin is smaller than the original and is made of Depron; and it is fixed to the elevator ... ie it moves up and down with it. The covering is quite dinged up, and he's using cheap servos and basic soldered wire linkages ... but the Alula flies so slick and fast it just doesn't look like your average Alula!

Here are a couple of photos, and some video:

Mark's Alula at Shorncliffe 30 Oct 2011 (2 min 38 sec)
Oct 31, 2011, 06:45 AM
Entropy is happening!
Thanks for the pics Andrew!
Oct 31, 2011, 06:55 AM
AvB
AvB
No worries Jim. Hey Gizzo that Bluff looks like fun.
Oct 31, 2011, 09:12 AM
less sleep more planes
Just entered the "2011 SlopeAerobatics.com Video Contest" First vid upload ,been wanting to give it a go for ever.
Mad Slidin 2.wmv (3 min 1 sec)
Oct 31, 2011, 05:08 PM
DS= -$ & :-)
Onya Shane, best luck! What the video doesn't show is just how big it is. Nice flying.

Eric
Oct 31, 2011, 06:29 PM
Registered Loser
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvB
No worries Jim. Hey Gizzo that Bluff looks like fun.
Yeah it's fun but takes a heavy toll on our planes. It's kinda Rabbit like that. I don't think I'll ever feel confident enough to throw a hard plane down there.
Oct 31, 2011, 08:28 PM
Time to burn up some wind yo!
nice one shane!

good luck!

what are the prizes?

Jarred

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayinInTheParK
Just entered the "2011 SlopeAerobatics.com Video Contest" First vid upload ,been wanting to give it a go for ever.
http://youtu.be/GFZA1GFqi24
Oct 31, 2011, 08:39 PM
Great Vid. What is the model?

Nov 01, 2011, 08:23 AM
less sleep more planes
Plane is a Madslide HUMPHREY1957 the plan is on the net somewhere .
Jarred and others please check out
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1464938
prizes are listed there also ........make a vote ........on your fav Le Frog 's vid is very good on page 17,my one is on page 21 .
They still haven't worked out the scoring system but when they DO

Shane S
Nov 01, 2011, 01:34 PM
Time to burn up some wind yo!
its a good video and all shane but i think you could have chosen a better song...

Luke Million - Arnold [OFFICIAL VIDEO] (3 min 55 sec)

let us know where to vote once the poll is made

Jarred
Nov 01, 2011, 07:38 PM
Planecrazy
">"
Last edited by Freedom Flyer; Nov 07, 2011 at 12:24 AM. Reason: Might have been offensive to some, Sorry

Quick Reply