This thread is privately moderated by Fish99, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 24, 2011, 08:20 PM
Go Ugly Early
I got the 20C instead of the 25C, since I didn't want to "push it" to far with all this old stuff.

Oh...Marlin...that Spitty...sold for 101 usd. Can I call it, or what? lol
to remove ads between posts
Jan 24, 2011, 08:22 PM
20C is perfect for this plane. it's what I use.
Jan 24, 2011, 08:32 PM
Go Ugly Early
Cool...looking forward to trying it.
Jan 24, 2011, 08:33 PM
Flying addicted and lovin it!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hog Pen
I got the 20C instead of the 25C, since I didn't want to "push it" to far with all this old stuff.

Oh...Marlin...that Spitty...sold for 101 usd. Can I call it, or what? lol
No kidding, good call.

I got a fuse on order for about $80 delivered up here to the LHS, best I could figure out but means I will have ANOTHER old Brushed 480 can and gear box in my spare parts drawer, with FM Rx. I had the wing and horizontal stab already, just needed a fuse and new Rx, but going to pick up the Rx at LHS as well, as just as cheap as buying from Horizon Hobby anyway.

Talk to you later Hog,

Marlin
Jan 24, 2011, 08:37 PM
Thread OP
Rich,

Got the servo pockets glassed up and servos installed, taped over the slit for the wire leads, and put on two coats of PAINT on the underside of the wings. I am going with a paint scheme I saw on some old photos online, light / sky blue underneath, grey on top with investion stripes. The blue looks VERY nice so far. Can't wait to flip it over and give it the GREY top, then stripes and cover it all with a couple coats of clear coat for protection!

It's going to be a great looking plane. And I used the hinge tape on top to cover the small seam, I think it will look awesome, as long as the paint doesn't crack. Great idea Rich!

Marlin
Jan 24, 2011, 08:40 PM
good stuff Marlin. can't wait to see some pics.

the paint should be just fine on the tape. if it's the clear stuff, you could also have added it after the paint layer, but it'll be fine.
Jan 24, 2011, 08:51 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvEvolution7
good stuff Marlin. can't wait to see some pics.

the paint should be just fine on the tape. if it's the clear stuff, you could also have added it after the paint layer, but it'll be fine.
Yeah I was think to but it is the stretchy, clear, hinge tape so the gap would have still shown through. This way once I put the paint to it, the gap will not only be covered by the clear tape, but painted over to look like the wing has those fancy gapless hinges like yours ... sort of! .

We'll see. If it looks crappy after a couple flights I will pull the tape, touch up the paint and then re-tape OVER the paint, or simply just leave the gap, as I am sure there will not be any real noticable aerodynamic hit from the thin gap.

Talk to you later,

Marlin
Jan 25, 2011, 04:27 AM
on a model that small, you won't notice a difference with the gap. it's just more pleasing to the eye. not that you'll see much when the plane is whipping by you at 90MPH with the brushless setup. LMAO.
Jan 25, 2011, 11:58 AM
Go Ugly Early
We were discussing this in another thread...and look what someone found:

SPITFIRE FUSE - ELECTRONICS

Doesn't that make you sick. I'm tempted to order one just to have...thinking it might be a typo.
Jan 25, 2011, 12:56 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
We were discussing this in another thread...and look what someone found:

SPITFIRE FUSE - ELECTRONICS

Doesn't that make you sick. I'm tempted to order one just to have...thinking it might be a typo.
MAN !!!! It sure does! I think I will order one as well, as a back up, wonder if they have any wings ... will check. That sucks! Thanks for finding this for us Hog!

Marlin
Jan 25, 2011, 01:08 PM
Go Ugly Early
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish99
MAN !!!! It sure does! I think I will order one as well, as a back up, wonder if they have any wings ... will check. That sucks! Thanks for finding this for us Hog!

Marlin
I tried calling them, to verify it's in stock, but I got a busy tone. I found 20 other sites witht he same item, and all are out of stock. I imagine they are out as well,a nd we are getting excited over a ghost.
Jan 25, 2011, 01:13 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
I tried calling them, to verify it's in stock, but I got a busy tone. I found 20 other sites witht he same item, and all are out of stock. I imagine they are out as well,a nd we are getting excited over a ghost.
I was thinking the EXACT same thing when I went back and looked it showed "NEXT DAY" vs "AVAILALBE" ... bet you money they don't have any in stock. If they don't then they won't be getting any either, as HH stocked making them.

If you are calling let me know what you find out my friend ... might have to pick up the wing, H.Stab and bare fuse if they have them, just to have another spare. (I like this airframe, and with these mods it's going to be awesome!)

Marlin
Jan 25, 2011, 03:19 PM
Go Ugly Early
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish99
I was thinking the EXACT same thing when I went back and looked it showed "NEXT DAY" vs "AVAILALBE" ... bet you money they don't have any in stock. If they don't then they won't be getting any either, as HH stocked making them.

If you are calling let me know what you find out my friend ... might have to pick up the wing, H.Stab and bare fuse if they have them, just to have another spare. (I like this airframe, and with these mods it's going to be awesome!)

Marlin
My thoughts exactly...will do!
Jan 25, 2011, 08:30 PM
Go Ugly Early
I called, and the guy verified that the $22 fuse IS available.

However, being an Ebay junkie...'ll be watching this:

Looks as if only one of them has skele damage, and the others seem to be rather easy fixes. These would make great candidates for glassing.

If I buy this...assuming my wife doesn't leave me...would anyone be interested in picking up one of the fuses from me? I only want the best one, and the worst one.

There's likely enough to build an entire (stock) plane...which I would like to do, and perform the glass-mod. I can probably sell off the busted TX's if I can't get a new throttle slider for them, and I can use the guts, since I'm running old stuff.

I dunno...whatcha think?
Jan 25, 2011, 11:14 PM
the third and fourth from the front look ok. the second one's not even worth fixing IMHO and the closest to the front is iffy at best. it's busted in a bad spot, right under the canpoy, which also happens to by right around the neutral point of the airplane. basically, the flight stresses are centrally located in this position, so you'de have to reapair, brace and glass this section very well indeed. that's weight and weight is bad. although, it would make a very nice display model, which I'de be very tempted to do. what are they asking for all that stuff?

Rich

Quick Reply