Jul 18, 2012, 09:46 PM
Carthage, TX
OK, this is a serious question and i'm not trying to be a smarta#*. Why take a brand new plane that is a great flier and rip it apart, change everything up and try to push it beyond it's tiny limits? I could understand if it's a cheap Dynam or FMS that you have to mod to get it to fly right but an e-flite UMX? I didn't even have to touch a trim button from the first flight. Wouldn't it make more sense to get a cheap airframe and build it up yourself? Just asking.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 18, 2012, 10:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colbyntx
OK, this is a serious question and i'm not trying to be a smarta#*. Why take a brand new plane that is a great flier and rip it apart, change everything up and try to push it beyond it's tiny limits? I could understand if it's a cheap Dynam or FMS that you have to mod to get it to fly right but an e-flite UMX? I didn't even have to touch a trim button from the first flight. Wouldn't it make more sense to get a cheap airframe and build it up yourself? Just asking.
The Sbach is far better than a "cheap airframe". And, there was no "ripping" involved. I built this plane out of Sbach spare parts: fuse, wings, tailfeathers. I went down to the LHS and bought the spares. I have not pushed it beyond its limits. It is up to the task. Many high speed planes require expo at speed to be controllable.

Not only all that, but it's FUN! This is one of the most amazing planes I've owned. It's a frigging monster.
Jul 18, 2012, 10:26 PM
Carthage, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq
The Sbach is far better than a "cheap airframe". And, there was no "ripping" involved. I built this plane out of Sbach spare parts: fuse, wings, tailfeathers. I went down to the LHS and bought the spares. I have not pushed it beyond its limits. It is up to the task. Many high speed planes require expo at speed to be controllable.

Not only all that, but it's FUN! This is one of the most amazing planes I've owned. It's a frigging monster.
I wasn't talking about anything you did or said and nothing about an Sbach. I thought this was a UMX Mig 15 thred? I'm just trying to figure out why somebody would replace the EDF, ESC and use 3S on this little plane? Like I said, serious question, not a smarta@# question. I could care less if somebody buys a plane and see's how fast they can fly it into a brick wall, just curious.
Jul 18, 2012, 10:27 PM
Dr John
Quote:
Why take a brand new plane that is a great flier and rip it apart, change everything up and try to push it beyond it's tiny limits?
Because we can
Jul 18, 2012, 10:37 PM
Quote:
I wasn't talking about anything you did or said and nothing about an Sbach. I thought this was a UMX Mig 15 thred? I'm just trying to figure out why somebody would replace the EDF, ESC and use 3S on this little plane? Like I said, serious question, not a smarta@# question. I could care less if somebody buys a plane and see's how fast they can fly it into a brick wall, just curious.
No one is trying to fly anything into a brick wall. But I get your point about the Sbach. Sorry. Wrong thread.

I think people would like sustained vertical climb. I know I would.
Jul 18, 2012, 10:45 PM
Quote:
Because the stock fan is ANEMIC as compared to what many experienced DF flyers are used to!!!..I want an EDF to execute LARGE loops with power...Not to just dive to gain speed and then give full up and hope for the best for an egg shaped loop!!!...

Horizon Hobby has designed this plane so that the newby can fly EDF...To be honest---The power from this plane kind of insults those of us that have flown ducted fans with real power...Forget about what is scale or not---The experienced guys demand that a plane push through the vertical with gusto and not to run out of power 15' into the vertical, mushing the nose over over to gain speed to just fly...

There will always be those that demand more power---There's nothing like seeing a jet make a large perfectly round loop from level flight, with the entry speed being almost equal to the exit speed...

Stock, this plane is a good plane for a micro EDF beginner jet designed for the masses...Anything more advanced and HH would get a huge amount of returns from newbies that don't know how to setup/fly micro EDF's...

Kevin
Last edited by Kevin Greene; Jul 18, 2012 at 10:58 PM.
Jul 18, 2012, 11:08 PM
Since we are on the topic---With the stock electronics this plane on 3S has proven to be a dud...The AS3X overcompensates for the higher speeds causing the rudder to wag the tail back and forth as well as the ailerons to be overworked...

For those of us that are more adventurous, HH should have made the AS3X more programmable---Meaning that we could turn down or up the gyro gains for each control surface via computer if we choose to go with 3S or whatever setups...But since this would violate the intended purpose ( a plane numbed down for the masses) I don't see any programs readily available for those willing to experiment with 3S...

Kevin
Jul 18, 2012, 11:27 PM
**I'm Battman**
We mod because we must!

rc
Jul 18, 2012, 11:33 PM
**I'm Battman**
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler
I totally second this motion!

Are you flying russian yet RC? I know I beat you to the punch, but didn't want to beat you by that much!
RG,

Worn out that MiG of yours yet??

Does she rank in the top 5 of your UMs?

Won't be much longer for mine.

rc
Jul 18, 2012, 11:34 PM
Do you see what I see?
You still don't have yours yet Babbel???? Can't wait to hear 'bout your flights with your batts!! Just watch out for bushes.....
Jul 18, 2012, 11:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene
Forget about what is scale or not---The experienced guys demand that a plane push through the vertical with gusto and not to run out of power 15' into the vertical, mushing the nose over over to gain speed to just fly...
Indeed. Very few rc fliers would be satisfied with scale power in anything they fly, except maybe the modern day fighters. 2:1 thrust in a prop plane is common in rc. But I don't think even the Turbo Raven had 2:1, and that was a 1600 pound plane with a 750 hp turbine in it!
Jul 19, 2012, 06:17 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Thread OP
The UMX Mig in it's stock form is a very nicely designed jet and performs well. The guys did a great job balancing: speed, weight, stability and scale looks with it.

With that said, me modding it will make it fly and perform the way I want it to!!! It's a personal choice. Even if it did fly in a way that I loved, I would still mess with it to squeeze more out of it!

Once you have seen a 12" wingspan EDF jet go vertical until you have to come back down because you're losing sight of it - there's no going back!

The power unit I have ready to drop into the Mig will give it 1:1 static thrust on 2S (but it can go 3S). I'm looking forward to seeing that!
Jul 19, 2012, 06:29 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL
RG,

Worn out that MiG of yours yet??

Does she rank in the top 5 of your UMs?

Won't be much longer for mine.

rc
Broke my front wheel recently. 58 flights so far. Still look mint (that's strange for me!). I have many large EDFs, so maybe that's why I'm not rating this one very high in my UM fleet. I TRULY love it, but not enough to rank it high though. Too much gain on aileron and rudder on mine. Rudder is not effective enough, even flying inverted!, and front wheel is too easily broken (many reports, not just me). Add to this wire hanging in front of the rotor. If you compare that to a Beast or a Sbach, which fly perfectly out of the box, and last a very long time without having to replace a part, I cannot honestly give it top ranking... That being said, for somebody who's flying a EDF for the first time, it's still an awesome bird!!! I'm probably the only one who absolutely love the fact that it doesn't have much vertical, so when it stall, it's right there in front of your eyes instead of 400ft in the air. Stalling is part of the fun of flying an EDF. I REALLY love stalling EDFs, and this one awesome for that. Let's put it this way, I would still recommend it to any friends. It's a little work of art. Love the hidden linkages, the strong wing, how quiet it is (you can fly it in a local park), how smooth it does fly (when there's not much wind to get the flutter), etc. I'm truly hoping we will be able to reduce the gain just a little with the USB interface. And I have not flown it without wheel yet (which is a shame, but most people say it's worth it...).

So to answer your question, I'm not sure it's in my top 5 yet... But that doesn't mean much. I have LOTS of UMs.
Jul 19, 2012, 06:48 AM
Parkzone junkie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene
Since we are on the topic---With the stock electronics this plane on 3S has proven to be a dud...The AS3X overcompensates for the higher speeds causing the rudder to wag the tail back and forth as well as the ailerons to be overworked...

For those of us that are more adventurous, HH should have made the AS3X more programmable---Meaning that we could turn down or up the gyro gains for each control surface via computer if we choose to go with 3S or whatever setups...But since this would violate the intended purpose ( a plane numbed down for the masses) I don't see any programs readily available for those willing to experiment with 3S...

Kevin
The brick in the mig IS programmable, USB programmer here. That said I fixed my tail wag at high speeds. It took some manual trimming and trial and error but now even on a 3S pass there is almost no noticeable tail wag. Also moving the CG a bit more forward helped too.
I almost think that the ailerons are causing some of the perceived wag. The rudder just isn't that effective.

Quote:
No offense taken and a very legitimate question. The stock mig flies decent, however there is room for improvement. Mainly it is underpowered when flying with the gear on. I like takeoffs and landings and in its stock form I can not fly it with the gear on and even get a single round loop. I don't want a 60mph Mig, only one that can fly at the gear off speed with the gear on and be able to have the thrust to pull vertical from level flight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged
The UMX Mig in it's stock form is a very nicely designed jet and performs well. The guys did a great job balancing: speed, weight, stability and scale looks with it.

With that said, me modding it will make it fly and perform the way I want it to!!! It's a personal choice. Even if it did fly in a way that I loved, I would still mess with it to squeeze more out of it!

Once you have seen a 12" wingspan EDF jet go vertical until you have to come back down because you're losing sight of it - there's no going back!

The power unit I have ready to drop into the Mig will give it 1:1 static thrust on 2S (but it can go 3S). I'm looking forward to seeing that!
Nitro can you give us any more information on the power unit?

-Brian
Jul 19, 2012, 07:08 AM
I review RC Products
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoconut
Here's a good laugh for you guys. You can fast forward to 2:11, that's where I begin my approach....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XeFN6jkHDk
That is a nicely trimmed bush!

Quick Reply