Sep 03, 2011, 12:23 PM
Dance the skies...
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer6891
I share your frustration. I went looking for a Tiger Moth kit online yesterday and was really disappointed to discover that it has been discontinued and isn't available anywhere as a kit. I'm also in the camp that prefers EPS foam and would love to see GWS continue to produce EPS kits. But it looks like GWS simply doesn't want any business, outside of propeller sales. It's a shame - GWS was king at one point, and for good reason: Their products were good.

Oh well.
Not sure where you are looking, but Tiger Moth Kits are still available from several web stores, most notably the GWS web store, a.k.a. Caliber Hobby.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 03, 2011, 02:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank
Not sure where you are looking, but Tiger Moth Kits are still available from several web stores, most notably the GWS web store, a.k.a. Caliber Hobby.
The 400 size Moth, kit only (unpainted, no power system) is nowhere to be found. It looks like it is in stock on caliber but when you add it to your cart it notifies you that it is out of stock.
Sep 03, 2011, 09:31 PM
I think the yellow one is available at Caliber. http://www.caliberhobby.com/tigerm_kits.html

Chen
Sep 04, 2011, 08:50 AM

tiger moth

Quote:
The 400 size Moth, kit only (unpainted, no power system) is nowhere to be found. It looks like it is in stock on caliber but when you add it to your cart it notifies you that it is out of stock.
Try Here; http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id=A3327723 Bob
Sep 04, 2011, 05:41 PM
Ego varius quis.
Suggestions for GWS:

1. Focus more on working with online resellers. If your entire product line were sold through Hobby Lobby or an equally large online vendor, you'd be pretty much set to go. Or start "flyGWS.com" and sell them direct.

2. I'm not an expert on the market demographics, but many of your products are oriented to casual fliers. Many of these fliers have gravitated to Parkzone's micro RTF models for low cost and significant convenience. Were GWS to supply sub-micro servos and ARF models with a wingspan below 22", they would have a very competitive product.

3. EPO flying wings. Make 'em cheap and bulletproof.
Sep 04, 2011, 07:51 PM
Hope the management team of GWS could be aware of your nice suggestions !

Chen

p.s. There's Caliber Hobby, www.caliberhobby.com They are located at the same place of GWS USA.
Sep 04, 2011, 09:47 PM
Ego varius quis.
Quote:
Originally Posted by twn Chen
Hope the management team of GWS could be aware of your nice suggestions !

Chen

p.s. There's Caliber Hobby, www.caliberhobby.com They are located at the same place of GWS USA.
I need to do an internship soon. I wonder if GWS is hiring?
Sep 09, 2011, 04:09 PM
Dance the skies...
Quote:
Just got an email from Caliber... they have EPO White TM400 NPS kits for $45! But only show 2 left.
Oct 13, 2011, 06:30 PM
Houng-wen Lin
The bad economics situation made this year still slow.

Even Christmas did not bring the right orders.

Peoples are worry about where the incomes?

But I believe this will be another good chance to prove GWS has better cost performance than Japan major brands!
Oct 13, 2011, 09:12 PM
Ego varius quis.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWS4CEO
But I believe this will be another good chance to prove GWS has better cost performance than Japan major brands!
The problem you face is that Chinese products are rapidly approaching GWS in terms of quality, and are much cheaper.

GWS' original success largely stemmed from innovation. GWS motors and gearboxes were, in the era before affordable brushless motors, the best value for money of anything on the market. The concept of spending $150 on an airplane - including battery - was miraculous. Similarly, the ease of assembly of ARF foam models made R/C a lot more accessible.

These days, I can go down to the store and buy a RTF Micro T-28 for $100. The Slow Stick and Pico Stick are no longer relevant products: Folks that want to fly in small spaces have access to micro models that make the Pico Stick somewhat pointless. The warbirds, while still very nice planes, must now compete with a wide variety of competitors that previously didn't exist. And Hobbyking now sells motors, receivers, batteries, and servos very much the equal of GWS parts, but at a much lower price.

I would suggest providing a more modern alternative to your core products. A line of 20-24" wingspan warbirds made of low-density EPP, similar to the Hacker Reno Racer series, would go over very well, especially if ~3g GWS servos were available to go with it. A small brushless motor would complete the package nicely, and there's no reason you couldn't source a GWS-branded product from a manufacturer like Oversky.
Oct 14, 2011, 08:30 AM
Houng-wen Lin
Thanks for your advice.
Oct 23, 2011, 09:17 AM
nsg
nsg
Nice to see this thread still alive.

From what I've seen in the field, people *are* spending money, just not at GWS. Every time I see that reference to bad economy, I can't help thinking of that old Russian saying - "Плохому танцору - яйца мешают".

The semi-scale crappy-fly market has been taken over by RTFs. The clone makers Some People complained about a few years ago now design and make their own stuff. Windrider (much to my surprise) apparently did ok with their Hurricane, although the proud owners, all five or so of them, seem to be busy painting their planes rather than flying them. At the higher end of the market, there's now E-flite. Alfa is doing ok. Even FSK is back, I actually spent some money there yesterday, took advantage of the current sale to stock up for a Christmas or three.

What would it take to have me spending money at GWS... Not servos, that's for sure. 3D - no. The bar is way too high by now. Another 40" size model, ideally of a lesser-modelled plane, could be.

I thought the P-40 was a very good start, but there wasn't much after that. T-6, frankly, sucks. Even P-40 wasn't developed further - it would have been trivial to add rotating retracts, a pilot, bombs, rockets, drop tanks.
Last edited by nsg; Oct 23, 2011 at 09:35 AM.
Oct 24, 2011, 08:29 AM
Random Flier
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsg
Nice to see this thread still alive....
Sadly, and it may be cruel to note it, but this thread seems more alive than GWS (model RC kit) R&D

Otherwise fully concur with your comments. I keep tracking this thread just in case GWS can "pull the bunny out of the hat" (i.e. perform the magic needed to turn this situation around). Sadly, selling EPO versions of kits built for NiMH and brushed motor systems isn't anywhere close to what is required.
Oct 24, 2011, 01:27 PM
k. Even FSK is back, I actually spent some money there yesterday, took advantage of the current sale to stock up for a Christmas or three.

WHAT SALE AND WHERE DO I FIND IT?
TNX
Oct 24, 2011, 01:46 PM
nsg
nsg
Quote:
Originally Posted by trroadster
k. Even FSK is back, I actually spent some money there yesterday, took advantage of the current sale to stock up for a Christmas or three.

WHAT SALE AND WHERE DO I FIND IT?
TNX
Your Caps Lock button seems to be stuck

Free shipping if you buy three kits, 10% off promotion code till the end of Oct.

http://shop.flyingstyrokit.com/
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=245

Quick Reply