View Poll Results: Where are you putting the motor for your Zephyr build?
As far forward to the LE as possible (at internal spar) 25 30.12%
Somewhere in-between the TE and the internal spar 22 26.51%
As far back towards the TE as possible 36 43.37%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Feb 19, 2011, 01:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by timnilson
You can get an OSD like the Dragon OSD with Return To Home built in. Or get an ardupilot or something similar.
Rsrs, i forgot to say, i already have OSD, my osd is OSDPRO from Eagle tree, some body have RTH config for ritewing zephyr ? Thanks for all
to remove ads between posts
Feb 21, 2011, 07:08 PM
Mum is the word!

Zeph X monster, I have ben bizy,lol

This one is 83'' , I wil be making a blunt nose for it so she is over 90'' WS.
The 60'' in the pic is for comparison, more pix to come of it with a blunt nose making it over 90''

ck
Feb 21, 2011, 07:44 PM
Crashomatic
that's huge ^^
Feb 21, 2011, 07:54 PM
Cut - Print - It's a wrap
Really nice! What does it weight?

Mike
Feb 21, 2011, 08:05 PM
Mum is the word!

Weight of bare wing pannels

The weight of both bare wing pannels together is 460 grams, just over 1 lb for us USA guys.

Appx 8 oz per wing 1/2
Feb 22, 2011, 12:31 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by klique
The 60'' in the pic is for comparison, more pix to come of it with a blunt nose making it over 90''
ck
Chris -- that makes my 60" look tiny! Very nice. I'll update the manual with the new size.
Feb 22, 2011, 12:49 AM
I think my wheels fell off.
Quote:
ck
Yeah baby!!! Now we're talking Chris.

Avaliable..............for $.........US and will require a ..............W motor and prop combo.

Please sir can you fill in the blanks when you get a chance.

Feb 22, 2011, 01:18 AM
Thread OP
I just confirmed that I'll be receiving a new Ruby unit from uThere when they are shipping out early in March. This should be a great combo unit with the ezOSD, which most notably lacks RTL. Ruby will add stabilization, fly by wire, return to launch, loiter, landing assist, and even automated landing.
Feb 22, 2011, 03:25 AM
OSUFPV - KF7VFT
Quote:
I just confirmed that I'll be receiving a new Ruby unit from uThere when they are shipping out early in March. This should be a great combo unit with the ezOSD, which most notably lacks RTL. Ruby will add stabilization, fly by wire, return to launch, loiter, landing assist, and even automated landing.
Ive been looking at the ruby lately (got a beta code). Idk if I will get it or not, the lack of OSD, some of the autopilot features, and the way the controls are set up sound iffy. And then there's the whole 3,000 ft auto-RTH and non-supported planes for phase 1 of the beta. AND it has to compete with RVOSD gen 5 coming out *soon*....

I'm just going to wait as long as I can to pull the trigger on either.
Feb 22, 2011, 12:29 PM
Mum is the word!
Hi Numb I am thinking two motors turning counter rotating 7/5 e props so there is no torque at all.
This will make it fly so smooth that it will be a dream to fly.
Plus with the props being small they wont get ripped out on landings.
Two 7/5 will be 14'' inches of props .

It takes twice the foam as the 54'' zeph so it will be just under twice the price plus shipping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumb_number
Yeah baby!!! Now we're talking Chris.

Avaliable..............for $.........US and will require a ..............W motor and prop combo.

Please sir can you fill in the blanks when you get a chance.

Feb 22, 2011, 01:36 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Hi Numb I am thinking two motors turning counter rotating 7/5 e props so there is no torque at all.
This will make it fly so smooth that it will be a dream to fly.
Plus with the props being small they wont get ripped out on landings.
Two 7/5 will be 14'' inches of props .
Chris -- what about servos? I am assuming you'll need 2 for each elevon given the length of the TE.
Feb 22, 2011, 02:16 PM
Mum is the word!

Hi Tim

That would be the builders call,they make some nice high tork servos that will be fine with two.
This foil needs way less travel than the Zeph foil,so little throw is needed.

This plane will have a large speed range, and since the surfaces will barely move it will not bleed speed when turning.

Two inboard servos could be utilzed for split flaps for breaks.

ck

Quote:
Chris -- what about servos? I am assuming you'll need 2 for each elevon given the length of the TE.
Feb 22, 2011, 03:51 PM
Hi, my 54" ritewing zerphy arrived, i will start build it tomorrow, i will use 2x nanotech 3300mah batterys, gopro + 1 servo for pan, OSDPRO, FY20a and hacker motor (and ESC too), i would like to know how can i find CG, before i fly only with regular planes, never had wing, somebody can explain how i will get CG ? Thanks for all
Feb 22, 2011, 05:29 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by felipesalomao
Hi, my 54" ritewing zerphy arrived, i will start build it tomorrow, i will use 2x nanotech 3300mah batterys, gopro + 1 servo for pan, OSDPRO, FY20a and hacker motor (and ESC too), i would like to know how can i find CG, before i fly only with regular planes, never had wing, somebody can explain how i will get CG ? Thanks for all
CG on a 54" is about 10.5" inches from the nose of the wing.
Feb 28, 2011, 09:05 PM
Thread OP
Great to see that 28 Zephyr builders answered the poll already. Interesting to see that about half of all builders are putting their motor right on the spar and the other half at the TE. Only a few (3) put the motor somewhere in-between the Spar and TE. When I posted this poll, I though only a small number of builders would put the motor at the TE -- good to see that's not the case as that's where I put my motor (using 2 3300mah batts)!

I also updated the manual with FPV equipment choices/suggestions from ImmersionRC.

Let me know if anyone would like to see additions/clarifications to the manual.
Last edited by timnilson; Feb 28, 2011 at 11:55 PM.

Quick Reply