Old Mar 09, 2012, 07:09 AM
sandy11
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Trolling (Provocation).
Mar 09, 2012, 07:18 AM
Micro-Turbine Superhero
(Maybe this has already been solved)About the piggyback, is't it possible to eliminate the extra 2s battery for the Rx part? powering the brick from the piggy back ESCs BEC?
Mar 09, 2012, 07:59 AM
Power Wheels Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by henke
(Maybe this has already been solved)About the piggyback, is't it possible to eliminate the extra 2s battery for the Rx part? powering the brick from the piggy back ESCs BEC?
You don't need an extra battery if you run the ESC in parallel with the RX. The Brick is looking for 2S, so you wouldn't want to power it from the BEC (unless you use a Spitfire or Ask-21 brick)

ESC signal would come from a Channel 5 mix.
Mar 09, 2012, 08:11 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by henke
Yes. Z8's blog explains how to run 3S the right way on one battery. It makes three beeps his first way only gave two beeps. I'm building a pigged GB too so if you learn anything new let me know
Z8RC "Piggybach" UMX Sbach on clean 3S 3-cell power (0 min 12 sec)
Mar 09, 2012, 10:05 AM
Electric Coolhunter
Getting back to the Gee Bee instead of all this arguing about upgrades. I am perfectly happy with the stock power setup, myself. Given that the uMX Gee Bee is 1/15 scale, the stock setup has it going about 500+ scale mph....

Here is some indoor uMX Gee Bee action at the recent TINY 2012 event...site is a large indoor area in San Angelo, TX...perfect for fast Gee Bee laps, as long as you watch out for the 3D models hovering in the circuit...

Thanks to Richard Ng, ace R/C photographer, for the great in flight pictures of my little speedster!
Latest blog entry: My 2022 event schedule.
Mar 09, 2012, 10:13 AM
Nice pics! That plane looks so nice in the air.. I'll get one someday!
Mar 09, 2012, 11:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy11
Higher achieved RPM and light weight are obviously the only things that make a difference between two GBs running the same prop for top speed. The microdan has neither. Gas mileage is irrelevant. What could be simpler?
Uh; who said anything about running the same prop when switching to a lower kv motor (besides you)?? "Obviously" you wouldn't run the same prop on a lower kV motor, you run a bigger prop and/or higher pitch. Of course dropping the kV without adjusting the prop size isn't going to result in more speed, but no-one's arguing for doing that; you're essentially making a strawman argument here.

Pitch speed, not RPM, is what's going to determine how fast the plane is. RPM is only half the equation, prop choice is the other half.

Still waiting to see what the long-term OCP fix is before I decide whether to pick this guy up or not...
Last edited by WRXpilot; Mar 09, 2012 at 11:27 AM.
Mar 09, 2012, 12:21 PM
Have fun
Quote:
Oh I'm sorry, I did't realize you owned this forum.
I can stand reckless arguing(barely), Ive tried not to get involved in this. But that is blatantly horrible, someone says that you should respect and learn from the wisdom of others, impart your own wisdom when its useful, and you say I didn't realize you owned this forum? That's way beyond reckless arguing.
Mar 09, 2012, 01:16 PM
Diverted by planks
Quote:
Z8's blog explains...

[link removed]
Please do not link to sites and materials from previously banned posters in an effort to get their material promoted here, circumventing the intent and effect of the original banning.

You doing so violates the Terms of Service that YOU agreed to when you signed up for membership on RC Groups.

Thanks in advance for your compliance.

Mar 09, 2012, 01:17 PM
Diverted by planks
Quote:
Originally Posted by airpower
I can stand reckless arguing(barely), Ive tried not to get involved in this. But that is blatantly horrible, someone says that you should respect and learn from the wisdom of others, impart your own wisdom when its useful, and you say I didn't realize you owned this forum? That's way beyond reckless arguing.
Please report posts that you find to be trolling or otherwise purposefully violating the TOS.

There is a button to do this, right there in the upper right of each message.

Thanks.

Mar 09, 2012, 03:21 PM
Make the best of all you have
For anyone who is interested, I started a Gee Bee mod thread.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1610713

Rolf
Last edited by beetyii; Mar 11, 2012 at 06:09 AM.
Mar 09, 2012, 04:07 PM
Have fun
Im starting to get frustrated with Horizon on this one, its been three weeks and they havent found a fix for OCP yet? Either sell them for a lower price or put a new prop in the box for it or lower kv motor or something!!
Mar 09, 2012, 07:13 PM
Shine On !
Nice striping Rolf. I screwed mine up with a sharpie...have some pin striping coming in the mail...hehe
Mar 09, 2012, 09:33 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXpilot
Uh; who said anything about running the same prop when switching to a lower kv motor (besides you)?? "Obviously" you wouldn't run the same prop on a lower kV motor, you run a bigger prop and/or higher pitch. Of course dropping the kV without adjusting the prop size isn't going to result in more speed, but no-one's arguing for doing that; you're essentially making a strawman argument here.

Pitch speed, not RPM, is what's going to determine how fast the plane is. RPM is only half the equation, prop choice is the other half.

Still waiting to see what the long-term OCP fix is before I decide whether to pick this guy up or not...
The microdan dealer page lists their stats with a GWS 5x3 on 3S. Z8RC site also lists stats with a GWS 5x3 on 3S. The 67% higher kv E-Flite 180 achieves 2000 more RPM than the microdan when both are actually spinning the GWS 5x3 on 3S.

Like I said, when you have the same prop and it is on the same plane, more RPM is the same as faster speed.

I'm sure microdan is a good motor and you'll sell plenty, but the kv is too low compared to the 180 to use it for higher speed on a 3S GB. I already posted the exact RPM and GWS 5x3 pitch speed from the dealer listed spec and it would be 10% slower than the 180 both with the GWS 5x3 even if the microdan could achieve its kv limit.

There's no reason to wait on buying the GB. It is a great plane the way it ships. You can snip one mm off the ends of the prop and go a smidgen faster with no OCP cut offs. Or you can do the 8 gram Z8 piggyback and put as many amps through through any ESC and motor you want to use. Z8 has a piggybacked 100mph UMX Gee Bee "soon." Ooooh I can feel one of those coming on.
Mar 09, 2012, 10:45 PM
Airspeed is my drug
Quote:
The microdan dealer page lists their stats with a GWS 5x3 on 3S. Z8RC site also lists stats with a GWS 5x3 on 3S. The 67% higher kv E-Flite 180 achieves 2000 more RPM than the microdan when both are actually spinning the GWS 5x3 on 3S.

Like I said, when you have the same prop and it is on the same plane, more RPM is the same as faster speed.

I'm sure microdan is a good motor and you'll sell plenty, but the kv is too low compared to the 180 to use it for higher speed on a 3S GB. I already posted the exact RPM and GWS 5x3 pitch speed from the dealer listed spec and it would be 10% slower than the 180 both with the GWS 5x3 even if the microdan could achieve its kv limit.

There's no reason to wait on buying the GB. It is a great plane the way it ships. You can snip one mm off the ends of the prop and go a smidgen faster with no OCP cut offs. Or you can do the 8 gram Z8 piggyback and put as many amps through through any ESC and motor you want to use. Z8 has a piggybacked 100mph UMX Gee Bee "soon." Ooooh I can feel one of those coming on.
Those specs are for a motor designed to spin an 8x4 on a 3d plane, so your argument is weak.
The one that will swing the 5x3 at the same speed as the 180, while running cool at 1.5-2 amps less than the 180, on a little 2s battery, is being custom kv wound by the designer for our purpose as I speak. I thought I mentioned that.

For the record. I'm not here to win a contest. I just want to promote the idea of
a local company trying to offer something interesting and useful, and hopefully save a few meltdowns when the ambient temp rises for Summer.

We had over 70 days over 100 degrees last summer at my location.
Latest blog entry: Eight cell fun!

Quick Reply