Sep 02, 2011, 11:19 PM
Thread OP
Help!

Cordless drill RPMs for starting nitro motor

Hey guys, I have the HPI Rotostart for my nitros; but would rather use a cordless drill w/ Starter wand.

What RPM range should I look for, most seem to max out around 1,000-1,200. Is that enough?

Most have many clutch settings so I don't think over-spinning would be an issue.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 03, 2011, 08:00 AM
Kowalski !.....Options
I don't think a drill is going to have enough RPM's to do the job I tried and it didn't work with my drill. A reversible air drill might do it but there expensive.
Sep 03, 2011, 12:18 PM
Thread OP
Kinda what I was thinking, I have a corded drill that I used before and it worked but not sure how fast it spun...

I know some guys use the cordless drills but just not sure on the specs their using.
Sep 03, 2011, 12:31 PM
dusty bible = dirty life
Well when u consider that a single flip will start a properly set up engine then its not the rpm but are the conditins right to start in the engine p
Sep 03, 2011, 01:31 PM
Thread OP
So if my engines are in good condition and RPM isnt much of a deal breaker, shoild I look at a certain voltage(12v, 14v,18v?) or should any of those have enough torque?

Current motors are 4.6 HPI Savage and 3.0 HPI.
Sep 03, 2011, 02:54 PM
Kowalski !.....Options
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majortomski
Well when u consider that a single flip will start a properly set up engine then its not the rpm but are the conditins right to start in the engine p
Nitro truck engines don't have a prop swinging in front of them. It did not work with my HPI 18ss. I need to replace my Roto starter, I thought a drill would work. I don't know if having a flywheel and clutch on the front makes a difference.
I needed a bit more power to get it done. I am going to replace my Roto starter. It is also a good idea to sin it fast when your burning all the left over fuel at the end of the day. You finger would fall off trying to flip the prop on a plane to clear out all the old fuel.
Sep 04, 2011, 01:11 PM
This is what Sullivan (makes Tiger Drives for nitro engines) says -

"Q: What can I use to drive it?
A: Due to the high efficiency gear design and ratios that we use most engines can be started with a wide variety of devices. The 7/32" hex shaft that is used to drive the starters can be spun with a standard hand held starter (such as a Hi-Tork), or any cordless drill or similar device."

I've used my 14.4v Dewalt cordless drill using its higher speed setting.
Sep 04, 2011, 02:51 PM
Kowalski !.....Options
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duster_360
This is what Sullivan (makes Tiger Drives for nitro engines) says -

"Q: What can I use to drive it?
A: Due to the high efficiency gear design and ratios that we use most engines can be started with a wide variety of devices. The 7/32" hex shaft that is used to drive the starters can be spun with a standard hand held starter (such as a Hi-Tork), or any cordless drill or similar device."

I've used my 14.4v Dewalt cordless drill using its higher speed setting.
I tried it direct using the wand for my HPI and it was not fast enough I think the key on the tiger drive is the gearing. I used an electric drill that plugs in to the wall. I thought it would work but it still not fast enough.
Sep 05, 2011, 11:05 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mredzadventure
I tried it direct using the wand for my HPI and it was not fast enough I think the key on the tiger drive is the gearing. I used an electric drill that plugs in to the wall. I thought it would work but it still not fast enough.
See here is my deal, I've succesfully used a corded drill to start my savage 4.6 and have personally seen others start their nitros using unknown type of cordless drill. So in my experience it can be done, I just didnt want to over do it, which seems unlikely if the drill has a clutch setting?
Sep 05, 2011, 06:07 PM
Kowalski !.....Options
I don't think you will over do it. The roto starts move at a good pace.
Sep 12, 2011, 12:59 PM
Suspended Account
I have started my Savage X 4.6 with a cordless drill, no problems.
Dec 05, 2011, 02:03 PM
Thread OP
Just an update, I got a cheapo 18v battery powered drill from Harbor Freight a while back, it has the torque to spin but not the speed. O well I needed a cordless drill for around the house anyways
Dec 07, 2011, 08:05 PM
I have a black@decker 18v walmart deluxe that I started my first nitro with (sh.28) without a hitch.. the drill was cheap specs on it are 0-650/min(rpm).

since then its been bump box all the way
Dec 27, 2011, 01:46 AM
If it can be pull started I'm sure it can be drill started. I could be wrong though. Won't know until you try. I've always used bump starters or starter boxes. I want to try out the tiger drive system. Gunna do some research on them first. Seems like its worth the investment.
Dec 29, 2011, 11:57 PM
hotrod builder
I use my 18 volt dewalt drill as my primary starter for all my savages with roto-start. (4 of em) never had a problem before ...just gotta turn the clutch down to 2 or 3

Quick Reply