Feb 15, 2013, 04:23 AM
Thread OP

HK ECO 6 80W or Turnigy Accucel-6 50W or IMAX B6

Hello everyone,

I am looking at getting a proper multi chemistry battery charger. My needs currently are as follows:
  • NiMH battery packs
  • Cellphone 1S 3.7v Li-Ion batteries

I am considering the following chargers
  1. Turnigy Accucel-6 50W 6A Balancer/Charger w/ accessories
  2. IMAX B6 Charger/Discharger 1-6 Cells (GENUINE)
  3. Hobbyking ECO SIX 80W 6A 2~6S Battery Balance Charger AC/DC w/PSU

I am basically looking for opinions on reliability of these chargers. Number 3 on the list looks promising, due to the internal PSU.

Thank you
to remove ads between posts
Feb 15, 2013, 11:17 AM
Not sure what kind of cellphone batteries you plan on charging I would say make absolutely sure that you know what voltage you need to charge to.

However of those I would say the Accucel-6 followed by the IMAX B6. The Accucel6 is by far the most popular basic charger. I would actually consider an internal PSU an negative. Besides an external PSU for a 50W charger is only $10. (psu link)
Feb 15, 2013, 12:40 PM
Thread OP
Thank you for the reply.

The cellphone batteries I want to charge are those like the Nokia BL-4D, BL-5J, BL-5C, etc. Each one is 3.7v Li-ion at different capacities.

I understand what you mean with the internal PSU. It is easier to replace an external one than an internal one. Regarding the external one, will a higher amp rating damage the charger although the volt rating is within specifications?

Thank you
Feb 15, 2013, 01:09 PM
You always want an amp rating higher then the requirement of the device connected to it. It doesn't matter how much higher, it could be 100x higher and it would be just fine. With chargers though it really comes down to watching watts.

Give this a read:
https://sites.google.com/site/tjingu...w-tos/shopping
Feb 15, 2013, 06:46 PM
You already have them listed in what I would consider to be order of reliability and quality.
Feb 17, 2013, 11:47 AM
Thread OP
Thank you for the replies

Since I have a few spare computer PSUs lying around, I will build myself a PSU for the charger. The one PSU is an Antec TruePower 2.0 480 Watts. It can supply 18A on the 12v rail
Feb 18, 2013, 02:19 AM
Youtube channel : solentlifeuk
They are actually near enough the same except the HK is 80W but based on same as the Accucel - which is a clone in a different case of the iMax B6 ...

The Original B6 created a stir that created a huge clone / copy market ... Accucel being one of them.

Personally - I would stay away from these for managing 1S Mobile phone cells ... i would look for a more professional purpose built bench unit for mobiles .... having watched Alexandr - a pal of mine who has a repair biz for mobiles - his charging station has so much more that is required for the work than the listed provide.

I bet he'd laugh his n**s of if I suggested a 6 charger to him !! Sorry but honest opinion.

Nigel
Latest blog entry: Life goes on and new boat
Feb 19, 2013, 08:18 AM
Thread OP
Thanks for your comments Nigel.

I hear what you are saying, and I agree If I only wanted to use the charger to charge cellphone batteries, it would be a total overkill. I do, however, have various NiMH batteries, and battery packs, thus this charger will be used more to charge these, that the cellphone batteries.

I might be able to gain access to an Accucel 6 charger within the next few weeks. I will then test it with my cellphone batteries to make sure it will fit my needs.

Again, thank you for your comments
Mar 02, 2013, 09:48 PM
Entropy is happening!

Turnigy Accucel 6

I have bought 3 of these and so far tested 2 of them. Both have faults - will not charge NiMh reliably.
I have returned one to HobbyKing and they have had it for many weeks now with no report yet.

In contrast, I have two of the HobbyKing HKC6 chargers which work faultlessly.
Cheaper too!

Note: I use them mostly for NiMh though!
Mar 02, 2013, 11:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim.Thompson
I have bought 3 of these and so far tested 2 of them. Both have faults - will not charge NiMh reliably.
Note: I use them mostly for NiMh though!
Interesting!
I wonder if the AC-6 has been infected with the crap components showing up in the IMAX B6 copies? They won't do NiXX properly either!

I have a several year old AC-6. Works fine for lipo. I use it a LOT for NiMh and cycling cells. It works properly for all chemistry. The little fan sucks, and the copper is brittle but the basic charger is quite satisfactory. .
Mar 04, 2013, 08:56 AM
Thread OP
So it seems as if the newer AC-6 chargers are crap then I do not want to take a change on it, only to find it does not work, and then have to pay a lot of money to send it back

Can anyone else relate their experiences with the HobbyKing HKC6 chargers?

Thank you
Mar 04, 2013, 09:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flydiver
Interesting!
I wonder if the AC-6 has been infected with the crap components showing up in the IMAX B6 copies? They won't do NiXX properly either!.................
I was told ages ago that they are same animal - just different cases and labels ..........

Nigel
Mar 04, 2013, 10:07 AM
One problem creeping into this sport is the total lack of quality assurance couple with the persistent pressure toward 'cheap'. It has it's advantages (cheaper components) but it also has disadvantages as no components seem to be actually stable and brand name is not reliable. Batteries with the same name, size, and power designation change chemistry and performance like changing underwear. The "blue wonder/2730" motor has gone through at least 3 major revisions with an improvement, then a back slide.
I suspect the components to chargers get re-sourced on a routine basis, and may even change factories if a cheaper version is found.

The Chinese are in the business of copying more than innovating. Since they can copy about anything a sticker, or a paint job is not a good indicator of what's inside.

The B6 way back had a known problem with balancing. They had put poor quality parts in. There was a LONG thread about replacement parts. That seemingly got fixed. Now there are copies of THAT B6 that aren't working properly. Sigh.

Personally I'm think one has to be on guard and it's great we can talk to one another and provide some way to catch this. The only real way to stop it is not buy the garbage. But first you have to know what the problems are. That means some people are going to get stung.

Just because one person has a great unit from 6 weeks ago doesn't necessarily mean the next guy is getting the same unit anymore. This is very unfortunate.
Mar 04, 2013, 12:15 PM
Ok ... lets take it further ....

What Computer are you using to type out / read posts etc. ? are you aware that the major manufacturer of PC components was ACER and they finally got act together and produced their own PC's ... after years of supplying parts to others.

ACER was shunned, degraded and generally accused of various - because it hit the market cheaper than competitors. But it had same gear inside !

IBM thinkpads and their Deskjobs were standard in many offices / Co's in the belief that IBM gear was THE BEST .... little did many realise that IBM for years had their PC's built in a little known factory in China ... later of course they sold the line to that factory ....... Lenovo.

You can look at Nokia, iPhone, Nike ... many leading brands ............ where are they made ?

You would be surprised to find out that China is on the road to inevitable as we all did ... other locations are coming up that will take on China at their own game of low cost manufacturer ....

Nigel
Mar 04, 2013, 03:44 PM
I know all this stuff is made in China. I don't care.
And I don't care what label is on it except as a basic ID. The issue here is fundamental bait and switch at the component level.
What I care about is folks getting garbage and the need to constantly be on top of what the electronic item of the week is so you don't get a lemon in the switch.

Yes, it happens in ALL electronic components. You buy a Samsung TV and you can get one of 3 screens, a good one, a not as good, and a definitely inferior one. YOU have to know the codes and YOU have to look at the individual TV and YOU have to translate this BS. You pay the same for all 3. That's fair?

I don't know why you seem to think it's an advantage. It's a pain. You got a fine B6 but that doesn't help the people that didn't. Are you suggesting everyone should now go right out and buy IMAX B6 off eBay because you are happy with yours? It seems to come across that way.

Quick Reply