Dec 13, 2011, 05:59 PM
devIAtion..one TX to bind them
Thread OP
Discussion

Next version of Phoenix?

I'm pretty happy with Phoenix, but with the release of RF6 and the Heli controller, I'm started to get tempted....

Phoenix has the brandnames and models I like and looks and flies great.

I wonder if Phoenix is working on a new version?

Here's a couple things I'd like to see;

- Either a Phoenix usb radio like the one in RF6 or some other way of saving battery and wear and tear on my spektrum rx. I like using my radio, but I'd also like other options.

- Full on custom models and a user community website. I couldn't make a 3d model to save my life, but there are some great artists out there. Even if they don't allow custom models, at least have an offical repository of paint shcemes and variants. I find it's hit and miss to find a good variant of any particular model.

- Some kind of fix for the fish bowl effect. I don't exactly know what view it is, or what zoom level it might be, but sometimes the backgound image moves in a weird way that kind of hurts my eyes... I know.. weird.

Any ideas of what we might see in a new version of Phoenix? And would you be willing to pay for it? Updates have been free so far...

(Or maybe I should just pick up RF6?)
to remove ads between posts
Dec 13, 2011, 10:01 PM
There's some great idea's. I was hoping for some updated models including the Velocity 90, Fusion 50, 600E FBL, some more night flight models and even an in built music system so you can integrate it though flying to the music.
Dec 13, 2011, 11:28 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruku56021
There's some great idea's. I was hoping for some updated models including the Velocity 90, Fusion 50, 600E FBL, some more night flight models and even an in built music system so you can integrate it though flying to the music.
Yeah, as far as models go I've been hoping they would do the eflite T-34 mentor with ePTS. Seems a natural fit being eflite and all.

I love the music idea... night flight smack down...

Thinking about the models, this might be a pretty big wish on the wish list, but what if they were to actually break models down in to parts you can buy... (We know which manufactures they will do for sure).

But imagine you have a Blade 450 3D model in Phoenix and you can virtually buy and install the FBL head from the 450x. Or the motor, or the canopy.

Want to know how your eflite T34 mentor will fly with the Power32 instead of the stock Power25, just select it and install it.

Then add user creatable objects and models... every part would sooner of later be created and shared. People would spend weeks debating over the power settings on a motor object, or servo object... "No, the motor you created has more power than the real Park400, try mine."

Yeah... when I dream, I dream big.
Dec 14, 2011, 04:38 AM
I'm still waiting for the ability for users to create their own models that was promised when the original version of Phoenix came out. They said it would be in "the next version or possibly the one after". That was in about Sept 2006 so I'm glad I didn't hold my breath .

Steve
Dec 14, 2011, 04:24 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipstick
I'm still waiting for the ability for users to create their own models that was promised when the original version of Phoenix came out. They said it would be in "the next version or possibly the one after". That was in about Sept 2006 so I'm glad I didn't hold my breath .

Steve
LOL
I don't put full custom models on the top of my wish list. It's on there, but the more I think about it... the quality of the models in Phoenix is really good, and maybe just painting them is good enough. I like the fact that I can see through the clear part of the mcpx canopy and see the main board and the detail on on main gear and other parts is very good.

One of the things stopping me from getting RF6 is the models and the quality. The mcpx for example is really good in Phoenix, and I know that you can download a user made one in RF, but does it look as good? Fly as good?

Anyone with RF6 Heli pack? How do the user created models stack up to the stock ones in Phoenix?

Cheers
Dec 14, 2011, 05:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexperience
I know that you can download a user made one in RF, but does it look as good? Fly as good?
Depends who makes it. I think that the amateur modelers who contribute to the RF swap pages drives KE to release better models themselves. The artist who colors my models is nothing short of spectacular. A user of RF has all of the same tools that KE has to build a model. They can't do anything we can't do.
Dec 14, 2011, 07:17 PM
Toilet paper profiteer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexperience
- Some kind of fix for the fish bowl effect. I don't exactly know what view it is, or what zoom level it might be, but sometimes the backgound image moves in a weird way that kind of hurts my eyes... I know.. weird.
This is mostly caused by zooming way out and it's easy to fix. "View" menu, "Camera", click "Reset zoom level".

Otherwise, once the configured zoom level goes beyond the natural "frustum" (what you'd see from your position if the monitor was merely a cutout in a large plywood board), the only way for the computer to simulate the requested view is to start doing the fisheye lens thing.

For an even more natural experience, select "shift look" instead of "normal" on the same menu. "Normal" seeks to have the plane continuously centred within the window, which means the view jumps around all the time to track the plane's flight. By comparison, "shift look" keeps the frustum as still as possible, and only moves it once the plane reaches the periphery of vision, which is actually easier on the eyes and similar to the way we move our heads when tracking a moving object.
Dec 14, 2011, 10:40 PM
Thread OP
Thanks, I'll try that.
Dec 15, 2011, 08:05 AM
Registered Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2SO4
This is mostly caused by zooming way out and it's easy to fix. "View" menu, "Camera", click "Reset zoom level".

Otherwise, once the configured zoom level goes beyond the natural "frustum" (what you'd see from your position if the monitor was merely a cutout in a large plywood board), the only way for the computer to simulate the requested view is to start doing the fisheye lens thing.

For an even more natural experience, select "shift look" instead of "normal" on the same menu. "Normal" seeks to have the plane continuously centred within the window, which means the view jumps around all the time to track the plane's flight. By comparison, "shift look" keeps the frustum as still as possible, and only moves it once the plane reaches the periphery of vision, which is actually easier on the eyes and similar to the way we move our heads when tracking a moving object.
I tried shift look but the plane just flew of the screen and out of sight
Dec 15, 2011, 08:46 AM
Toilet paper profiteer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris...
I tried shift look but the plane just flew of the screen and out of sight
Sounds like you might have selected "free look" instead. That requires mouse movement to get the viewport to pan around, kind of like playing a FPS game. (I think it's used for spectating - watching others fly in multiplayer mode.)
Dec 18, 2011, 08:04 PM

Phoenix may be going the way of the Phoneix

Its been ages since an update came out. Yesterday at the Hobby Hangar in Chantilly VA, I won a full copy of RF6. I vowed I would never spend the money to buy it --- its a nickel and dime me to death business model. Just hate that.

But, after having loaded it - gotta admit - It is pretty damn good. Its got its quirks - but at least they are alive and kicking. And Yes, that damn thing has flexibility and capability that one can now apparently only wish for in Phoenix

- I can create my own custom airplanes - but then I can do that in X-plane 9 and 10 as well

- I can create my own custom photo-realistic flying field modeled after my home aiport, the Flying Circus in Bealeton Virginia, 3VA3 (wwww.flyingcircusairshow.com) ... Yes I am an Air Show pilo.

Phoenix on the other hand seems to have just thrown in the towell and is quickly fading into RF's dust.

Does anyone have any news or proof that there is in fact hope for Phoenix? I truly enjoy the simulator ... But to stay viable - those boys and girls need to get their game on and do it soon.
Dec 18, 2011, 08:13 PM
Quote:
Phoenix on the other hand seems to have just thrown in the towell and is quickly fading into RF's dust.
That's funny. I have a friend who said the same thing you are saying, only the other way around.
Quote:
But to stay viable - those boys and girls need to get their game on and do it soon.
That's what he says about RF's heli model selection. He says Phoenix is worlds ahead of RF in keeping with the popular models.
Dec 18, 2011, 08:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcWhorter
Its been ages since an update came out. Yesterday at the Hobby Hangar in Chantilly VA, I won a full copy of RF6. I vowed I would never spend the money to buy it --- its a nickel and dime me to death business model. Just hate that.

But, after having loaded it - gotta admit - It is pretty damn good. Its got its quirks - but at least they are alive and kicking. And Yes, that damn thing has flexibility and capability that one can now apparently only wish for in Phoenix

- I can create my own custom airplanes - but then I can do that in X-plane 9 and 10 as well

- I can create my own custom photo-realistic flying field modeled after my home aiport, the Flying Circus in Bealeton Virginia, 3VA3 (wwww.flyingcircusairshow.com) ... Yes I am an Air Show pilo.

Does anyone have any news or proof that there is in fact hope for Phoenix? I truly enjoy the simulator ... But to stay viable - those boys and girls need to get their game on and do it soon.
Free updates for life sounds nice, but limits the incentives for new development. While I can see why you feel reluctant to pay for updates, this is the only way to stimulate new development.

Stefan
Dec 18, 2011, 08:45 PM
The last plane update was 21st of October (Spit IX). Before that, it was the 8th of August (Blade 120 SR). That rate of development tells me that either 1) they have absolutely minimal staffing on it at this point and are basically riding it into the sunset or 2) they are working on something big and don't have the time for the airplane updates, which used to come at a much higher rate.

There are things I really like about Phoenix, but the flight modeling of airplanes definitely leaves something to be desired (I've posted elsewhere about some obvious bugs, but even before I found those, I was looking to switch because of the flight modeling). As for helicopters, I have heard it said they are quite good. I'm not much of a helicopter pilot. I fool around with a MCPx but I'm not doing anything fancy with it.
Dec 18, 2011, 08:56 PM
Сделем Америку Великой Снова
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madratter
The last plane update was 21st of October (Spit IX). Before that, it was the 8th of August (Blade 120 SR). That rate of development tells me that either 1) they have absolutely minimal staffing on it at this point and are basically riding it into the sunset or 2) they are working on something big and don't have the time for the airplane updates, which used to come at a much higher rate.

There are things I really like about Phoenix, but the flight modeling of airplanes definitely leaves something to be desired (I've posted elsewhere about some obvious bugs, but even before I found those, I was looking to switch because of the flight modeling). As for helicopters, I have heard it said they are quite good. I'm not much of a helicopter pilot. I fool around with a MCPx but I'm not doing anything fancy with it.
I am disappointed with the rate at which Phoenix is releasing planes, too. If they were smart, they would offer a downloadable program so that vendors and users could create their own planes, and a community to share them. That way, they get to benefit from others' free labor.

I'm not sure what they're thinking, but talk about a win/win.

As for the MCPx, I have it, and in order to get the sim to fly more like the real thing, you have to set the flybarless to passive in Phoenix.

Quick Reply