Sep 18, 2012, 09:29 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

ArduPilot Mega 2.0 not poering from output rail

hi guys, i hope this is the right place to put this!

I just set up my APM2.0 which has been sitting in its box for a few months now. All worked fine on calibration when powered via USB but won;t fire up when powered via the output rail

a google found this thread on diydrones - i'm not a member of that forum so thought i'd ask here

http://diydrones.com/forum/topics/he...age=1#comments

lt looks like a diode may be faulty? what should i do? is there an easy fix to power it via a BEC?

If I power via external BEC in to the rx or input rail, the lights come on and flash encouragingly but there is no response from the servos so i guess something isn't happening.

Any ideas what I should do?
to remove ads between posts
Sep 18, 2012, 11:49 AM
Chris Anderson
Do you have the JP1 jumper on?

All tech support is over at DIY Drones, so if you want more help please register there.
Sep 18, 2012, 02:34 PM
A man with too many toys
The APM2 is designed to have two independent power sources. One for the APM2 and receiver and another for the servos. The reason is that the APM2 requires exactly 5v and some like to run servos at a higher voltage.

The APM2 does not have a voltage regulator so it’s important to use exactly 5v.

There is a jumper option to power everything from one power source but like I said that will have to be exactly 5v regulated power (BEC).

What are you flying?
Airplane (large or small)?
Helicopter?
Multirotor?

Sep 18, 2012, 02:55 PM
Hi,
had the same problem here, didnt work through the output rails, however removing the jumper 1 i could power it from the input rail. Yes the problem is the diode. I sent mine back to the 3DR support waiting for an answer... If you want to know more visit the forums in DIYDrones.
Sep 18, 2012, 04:38 PM
A man with too many toys
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosduch
Hi,
had the same problem here, didnt work through the output rails, however removing the jumper 1 i could power it from the input rail. Yes the problem is the diode. I sent mine back to the 3DR support waiting for an answer... If you want to know more visit the forums in DIYDrones.
Did either of you guys apply more than 5V.

Sep 18, 2012, 06:44 PM
Are the servos moving at all in manual mode? When I got my APM2 6 months ago I just plugged in a Hobby Platnium 40A esc (set at 5v) and everything works. I do have to reset the APM a couple times to get the esc to arm (common problem) but mine works great. I should check and see if the jumper is installed on my board. I didn't even bother to look.
Sep 20, 2012, 08:50 AM
No, I dindt apply more than 5v at any time
Oct 04, 2012, 04:03 PM
Al Lowrie
My APM.2.0 was damaged simply by unplugging and swapping 2 of the servos at the RX while powered by the flight LiPo and plugged into the usb port. A very small surge can cause the damage. Its not a big deal, just run a second line to the input rail w/ a 5V bec. You can run both sides of the board on the same battery. I have been flying this way for quite some time.

Quick Reply