Jan 07, 2013, 09:01 AM
foamie re-cycler
Thread OP
Discussion

>>Any FJ Cruiser owners out there?

..I've recently discovered the joys of extreme off-roading,Unfortunately my KIA Sportage as good as it is off road ,isn't up to the task as far as ground clearance and power .Most around here are driving either Jeep CJ's ,Land Rovers or FJ 's.I wouldn't own a Chyrsler product on a bet and the I don't need a third set of tools so anything British is out,I'm seriously considering the Trails Team Edition of the FJ Cruiser ..any one have any good/bad experiences with it?
Jan 07, 2013, 09:03 AM
St. Boondock
One of my knifemaker friends in Texas is putting the finishing touches on a really nice one right now. There is a thread about it on our knife forum but you have to join the forum in order to browse there. PM me if you would like the details.
Jan 07, 2013, 09:26 AM
St. Boondock
OK, he has pics on his website. Here's a teaser

Jan 07, 2013, 09:31 AM
Random Pic #23982
That's the issue I have with the FJ. It would be an aswesome jeep, but it's got the worst aspects of a jeep with none of the benefits.

But that's nothing that 10K in mod's wont fix.
Jan 07, 2013, 09:54 AM
foamie re-cycler
Thread OP
Perhaps i should clarify things a little.I've veiwed many videos on youtube concerning perfomance modifications as well as visited several other aftermarket sites ,and have come away impressed by the capabilities of the FJ ,but I could spend 10 k on my KIA and make similar mods that would rival those .
My primary interest right now is reports from those who own basically unmodified (save for factory mods)FJ's.Satisfaction ,would they buy again etc.
Jan 07, 2013, 10:18 AM
St. Boondock
One of the baddest offroad rigs in my area is an old Suzuki Samauri with a rotary engine. He has about 15K into it and it will out crawl any other street legal vehicle around.........and we have some serious ones.
Jan 07, 2013, 10:37 AM
foamie re-cycler
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL Knifemaker
One of the baddest offroad rigs in my area is an old Suzuki Samauri with a rotary engine. He has about 15K into it and it will out crawl any other street legal vehicle around.........and we have some serious ones.
Many of the older Suzukis were made by KIA with Mazda engines ,the engine in my KIA is a mazda 2.0 l 4 cyl....heck if KIA had stuck with more of an SUV in their Sportage lineup and less of a crossover/car I'd likely just buy another ,but like many manufactureres they couldn't leave well enough alone ,instead of upgrading that line to a more capable SUV/offroad vehicle ,they went the other way towards a more luxurious car that one can occasionally take off road .
Last edited by daddiozz; Jan 07, 2013 at 10:47 AM.
Jan 07, 2013, 11:24 AM
St. Boondock
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddiozz
Many of the older Suzukis were made by KIA with Mazda engines ,the engine in my KIA is a mazda 2.0 l 4 cyl....heck if KIA had stuck with more of an SUV in their Sportage lineup and less of a crossover/car I'd likely just buy another ,but like many manufactureres they couldn't leave well enough alone ,instead of upgrading that line to a more capable SUV/offroad vehicle ,they went the other way towards a more luxurious car that one can occasionally take off road .
Ya, those early Sportages were nice. The new ones are glammed up, watered down soccer mom haulers.
Jan 07, 2013, 05:57 PM
Closed Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddiozz
..I've recently discovered the joys of extreme off-roading,Unfortunately my KIA Sportage as good as it is off road ,isn't up to the task as far as ground clearance and power .Most around here are driving either Jeep CJ's ,Land Rovers or FJ 's.I wouldn't own a Chyrsler product on a bet and the I don't need a third set of tools so anything British is out,I'm seriously considering the Trails Team Edition of the FJ Cruiser ..any one have any good/bad experiences with it?
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...body-rips.html
Jan 07, 2013, 06:59 PM
Closed Account
Early Pinzgauer promotional video (1970's) (14 min 32 sec)

Puch Haflinger - Werbefilm (22 min 20 sec)

VOLVO SUGGA (4 min 1 sec)
Jan 07, 2013, 08:22 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
Love the full SS jeep.
Jan 07, 2013, 08:47 PM
when you see trucks going off road in third world countries on various TV shows, I don't recall ever seeing a jeep CJ or otherwise...almost always toyotas.
Jan 09, 2013, 02:34 PM
MTT
MTT
I care about rising air !
Knifemaker, that pic brought back lots of memories to me...

When living in Venezuela I had one of those....
4.3 L straight six, 4 speed manual trans.
In 4 wheel drive, low gear, that thing was almost unstoppable.
We went off roading a lot, took trips into the interior of the country, crossing creeks and small rivers, at times I would be in the drivers seat, with water up to my belt line, engine never missed a beat, both the air intake and distribuitor are mounted fairly high on the engine.
Those were the days....
Jan 09, 2013, 03:54 PM
The old Toyota Land Cruisers are the prized vehicles in many middle east countries. They are amazing and fun to drive but a rough ride when on-road. My brother had one years back.

Quick Reply