Oct 02, 2012, 02:47 PM
Just Limin'
Thread OP
Discussion

Another Geat Company-Minwax

I have been using the Minwax Helmsman Spar varnish to finish on 1949 Dumas Chris Craft Racing Runabout. Applying light coats over the hull and decals to seal everything in. I am using the satin and I normally turn the can upside down after I am done to clear the nozzle. I must have forgotten to do this and the whole thing gummed up.

Using my exprience in coatings, I figured no worries, pull the nozzle off, soak it in some solvent and reattach, should be good as new. Nope didn't work. I have the same issue with a can of Gloss I was also using, same thing- didn't work.

Annoyed that I have about a half of can of each that I can't use, I figured let me call Minwax direct and ask them to send me 2 new nozzles, as we would do, when someone would call us with a similar situation.

I called Minwax and really nice lady answered the phone, I told her the problem and asked if they can send me 2 replacement nozzles. To my surprise, she said no. No? That's right, we don't have the nozzles to send, but I'll be happy to send you replacement product for free. For Free! Awesome!

Kudo's to Minwax for waaaay exceding my expectations. I'll have to wait about 5-7 days to get it, but better than buying 2 new cans at Home Depot for about $9.50 each.

Scott
to remove ads between posts
Oct 02, 2012, 03:09 PM
I'll bet the young lady spoke English too. While on the kudo's wagon I've had oppoptunity recently to place a few on-line orders from one of my least favorite stores, Walmart. I was impressed with the ease of ordering, the very low or no shipping, and the very quick delivery. I've also noticed a lot of little thingies in their store made in the USA.
Oct 02, 2012, 03:55 PM
Just Limin'
Thread OP
Yes, she spoke English, I am assuming she was in their headquarters here in NJ.
Oct 02, 2012, 10:29 PM
I had a similar,good experience with the JB Weld people out of Texas.
I had new tubes of the stuff, but the one cap was bad, so on a lark I emailed
them and asked for a new cap. I got a little goodie package from them within
a week, caps, a new set of 2 part,and a single use syringe of epoxy.
so,it's a great product -they took care of me,and I sing their praises if anyone
asks.
edit-this is what I used spar urethane on last,my Marblehead rebuild project.
good stuff over the deck to seal it with.
Last edited by thorsail; Oct 02, 2012 at 10:38 PM.
Oct 03, 2012, 09:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 420TEE
I'll bet the young lady spoke English too. While on the kudo's wagon I've had oppoptunity recently to place a few on-line orders from one of my least favorite stores, Walmart. I was impressed with the ease of ordering, the very low or no shipping, and the very quick delivery. I've also noticed a lot of little thingies in their store made in the USA.
You actually found something (anything?) in China~mart made in the USA, you must have looked pretty hard for it! There is one entire province in China that is known around the world for making the garbage they sell. I go in there for only one thing the $4 generic drugs (which if I fill at another store means I have to mess around for four days to get a refill at my normal store). I used to WORK there and rarely shop there.

As for MinWax I have heard more than a few good things about them over the years. The fact that they would do something like this, indicates that they have a handle on the reality of customer service that giant companies like China mart do not. Make a good customer, they will get on the internet and tell a LOT of people (which is good for us), piss someone off, we can just ignore them (LIKE WALMART) because we just don't care.
Foo
Oct 03, 2012, 05:44 PM
NeverAgainVolunteerYourse lf
First rule of customer service is, if you have a happy customer they may tell four people of the positive experience, bad service will have a customer tell twenty people or more the negative experience
Oct 05, 2012, 12:23 AM
Damp and Dizzy member
I've had good experiences shopping at the Bozeman Walmart. For 10 years or so, I've met with good customer service, both on the floor, and at the return desk. In all that time, only one floor person was not cheerful, and helpful; the rest were always happy to drop whatever they were doing to help me. I am impressed with the management, since cheerful employees are not something I take for granted anywhere.

When I return something, I always make sure Everything is back in the box, which might help. I forgot once, but told the counter person, and they said no problem, so honesty pays.

btw, check the prices at non-Walmart local retailers, some of them will meet Walmart's prices. Competition is a good thing.

I wish there were more US products on the shelves, but that era has passed. For an explanation, you might read this article. It explains why Apple has transferred production to China: it's not All due to low wages. The Chinese have developed production & supply systems that outshine US systems, which surprised me. Systems are something we could learn, and increase our competitiveness. Also read the comments (700+), if you have time/interest in the subject. I learned a lot from them, including the fact that the US suicide rate is 8x as high as the well publicized suicide rate at Foxconn (Apple's Chinese iPhone manufacturer):

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/22/bu...dle-class.html
Last edited by Brooks; Oct 05, 2012 at 12:35 AM.
Oct 09, 2012, 03:48 PM
Just Limin'
Thread OP
Recieved my two cans of varnish today from Minwax. All I can say is that this company has awesome customer service!

Scott

Quick Reply