Oct 22, 2010, 12:41 AM
Need 4 Speed!
Thread OP
Ran the electrolyte tonight on a 4s 480. The power was definitely improved compared to 3s but I believe the packs are still too small for the fan. After 10-20 seconds the power significantly tapered off. The 18 amp esc was surprisingly warm also. Next up will be a 4s 730.
Latest blog entry: original Y/A F-18 Kit
to remove ads between posts
Oct 22, 2010, 07:01 AM
Dont forget the velcro straps
hmm. any way you can measure thrust installed? i wonder how much it went up?

depending on how many amps my modded 6 blade works with dons motor....it may end up around 200W....in that case, ill run 2 610 3s packs....i know it will be a bit heavy, but i should be making 12-13oz of thrust.....last night i measured eflux with no tail pipe, and a 5000kv motor, and i got 95mph. the dons is a 7000 kv......and then add in the tail pipe......

40mm unlimited class here i come!

also, i plan on a auw of about 10 oz. im going to be setting up flaperons for sure. also, ill be using pretty much a flat bottom air foil, with a little semi sem introduction at the begining of the airfoil.
Oct 22, 2010, 09:25 AM
Live to ride... and fly!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdawg
Ran the electrolyte tonight on a 4s 480. The power was definitely improved compared to 3s but I believe the packs are still too small for the fan. After 10-20 seconds the power significantly tapered off. The 18 amp esc was surprisingly warm also. Next up will be a 4s 730.
You're running the 2018 setup, right? I'm not surprised it's taxing the 480's, Eric was getting 18.5 amps on an old beat up 4000 pack. Granted that's a big pack, but considering its age a newer, smaller pack would probably still yield similar results. I was originally going to run 910 TPs in mine, but I ended up going with 850's because they're 30c versus the 910's 20c and they're the exact same weight as the 910's. They're also a little shorter than the 910's so it gives me more room to slide them back and forth for CG adjustments. I think you're going to puff those 730's!

I'm hoping to make some good headway on mine this weekend, if I get it all wired up I'll test it on the 850's and report back on the amp draw.
Oct 22, 2010, 09:33 AM
tres, what you putting your setup into?
Oct 22, 2010, 10:11 AM
Need 4 Speed!
Thread OP
Tres,

I am using a custom 30mm Nitrocharged power system that is 3-4s capable. I was unsuccessful at purchasing the 2018 fan from GWS. Let me know if you have one you'd like to sell. I would use it in the 40mm stock class for the speed challenge.
Oct 22, 2010, 10:25 AM
Live to ride... and fly!
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut
tres, what you putting your setup into?
It's going into a modified Bullet, it's not nearly as sleek as Bret's airframe, but it's a design I'm used to tinkering with and flying

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdawg
Tres,

I am using a custom 30mm Nitrocharged power system that is 3-4s capable. I was unsuccessful at purchasing the 2018 fan from GWS. Let me know if you have one you'd like to sell. I would use it in the 40mm stock class for the speed challenge.
DOH! In that case ignore my post Sorry about that, I thought I had remembered you saying you picked one up and when I looked at your photo in post 339 it actually looks like the 2018 motor end bell. I wish I had one for you, but I've only managed to get two of them- one is in the Bullet that's running on 3s (love it!) and the other is going in the 4s Bullet frame I'm hoping to finish this weekend. I've been checking every day to see if they're shown in stock because I want to get a couple more. I posted a thread on the GWS forum a few days ago and Chen said that they should be back in stock, but so far they're not showing as in stock on the Caliber web site.

EDIT- now that I look at that photo again, that is a teeny little fan in there
Last edited by Tres Wright; Oct 22, 2010 at 10:30 AM.
Oct 22, 2010, 02:47 PM
my dons 7000kv 18mm outrunner will be here today, ill get that puppy installed and give you guys some numbers. should be in the 200W range with my special 6 blade...... that should be some rockin thrust and eflux! im gunna guess about 130-140mph, and about 12-13 oz of thrust. if thats the case, should get the electrolyte to 100mph. im pumped. cant wait to get my hands on one of brets sport jets! already been thinking of the scheme...i think im gunna go with a white/orange navy scheme....like the FJ-2 fury, or the RCL cougar i did.....id really like to do the blue on blue aggressor spliner camo....but i fear on something this small...that just aint gunna work!
Oct 22, 2010, 06:01 PM
Need 4 Speed!
Thread OP
Here is a comparison of the 3s vs. 4s static thrust from NC's power system. I cant confirm whether the static thrust numbers are accurate but the difference between 3s and 4s according to the watt meter is double the power (95 vs. 200 watts) however the thrust was increased by about 35g. The larger pack added 23 grams alone. What do ya think...should I give it a shot?

electrolyte 3s vs 4s 0001 (2 min 1 sec)
Oct 22, 2010, 06:45 PM
the thrust increase is huge there. from 80 to 125.....thats pretty crazy. yeah, your thrust to weight doesnt get a whole lot better, but jus timagine how much the eflux has gone up. i say give it a go.

man, were you dropping the throttle...or was that pack sag??? if that was sag....thats just crazy!
Oct 22, 2010, 06:51 PM
Suspended Account
Give it a shot? Heck yeah. Is the video up yet?
Oct 22, 2010, 07:09 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Pdawg, a 350 3S is too small for that unit. I'd recommend a minimum of 450/460mah for either cell count and if you can get them, nano tech lipo's from Hyperion or HK. You'll see what I am talking about the moment you use them.

The 4S you tested isn't up to the task.
Oct 22, 2010, 07:14 PM
Need 4 Speed!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged
Pdawg, a 350 3S is too small for that unit. I'd recommend a minimum of 450/460mah for either cell count and if you can get them, nano tech lipo's from Hyperion or HK. You'll see what I am talking about the moment you use them.

The 4S you tested isn't up to the task.
Yep...your right. The drop in power pointed out by CN was the sag and thats part of the reason I posted the video. I'll use TP 730's for the upcoming testflight. That should help.
Oct 22, 2010, 07:24 PM

GWS 2018 Motors

Hey guys if you want the motors get the 50mm fan. They are in stock. From my understanding though is that they are the old batch and not for the 4 cell operation.

GWS Chen has sent Caliber 3 replacements for an exchange for me. These should be the new motors, but I been advised to add a heat sink and not run at full speed for very long. Chen says the newer batteries are spitting out more juice and the motors wont handle it for very long. They (GWS) seem to be trying to figure out a fix. Ill keep updates on my 40mm Fan Thread.

Send the guys at Caliber an e-mail - it seems the online ordering shows out of stock when they are actually there.
Oct 22, 2010, 08:16 PM
man, i F'd up my dons motor trying to install it....wont be running it. i need to figure somethin gelse out now

do those stock 50mm outrunner motors have a 20mm diameter??? hmm....
Oct 22, 2010, 08:53 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Chen needs to use stronger magnets, thicker copper and thicker flux rings...

Brent, PM sent.

Quick Reply