Oct 10, 2010, 03:05 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Looking to get back in....

So, after my first venture into the RC Heli world with a HB CP2, and a subsequent hiatus of about 2 years, I'm looking to get back in. Skill level, I could hover it very stable with brief stints of nose in, and do loops and very sloppy piros.

Was looking into getting a HB King 3, then a Belt CP, and now I see the HK 450 Trex clones which I'm liking.

So I know all the info is here, but I've been reading for awhile, and if someone could give me a list of components to put together a cheap/reliable (if that's possible) HK 450 machine, it would really save me alot of time. Or should I just go for the Belt CP?

Edit: Nevermind, got it figured out. Now to find the parts that I need that aren't on backorder at HK...
Last edited by Linker33; Oct 10, 2010 at 12:24 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 10, 2010, 05:52 PM
Get a good gyro not a cheapie, they are more trouble than they are worth! Or better yet, if you can afford the initial investment, go ahead a look at going flybarless.
Oct 10, 2010, 10:03 PM
Thread OP
So, I got the following in my cart. How does it look? Am I missing anything here? Futaba TX is on backorder, however. All together, I'm looking at around $350 total for everything. I could pick up a Belt CP + 2 barebones kits, and a bunch of replacement parts for that amount. Which way should I go. Obviously the below is a better setup, and I will be getting an actual TX, but IDK....

HK450 CCPM 3D Helicopter Kit
(Align T-rex Compat.) Ver. 2 -
$27.99

Futaba 6EX 2.4GHZ FAAST Radio System w/R617FS Receiver (Mode 2) - $179.99

40A ESC w/ BEC - Getting from another site, as all decent priced ones at HK are on backorder.
Oct 10, 2010, 11:23 PM
Crashy McLandington
I would look at the metal upgraded 450 clones. The clones all have their issues, bent mainshafts out of the box- no loctite on some screws- tail problems and so on. Not that they're junk, they can be a good bargain, just read around on the different versions before you pull the trigger.
Oct 11, 2010, 11:39 AM
If I were to start right now, I would get a walkera pro radio. Then you can run their flybarless system/receiver unit or a regular walkera receiver. People appear to be pretty happy with that radio. I would also get a CF metal clone like a 450GT or the EXI belt Pro (http://www.xheli.com/18h18-exi450pro-belt.html). Yes, the CF/CNC kit is more, but the CF frame will stay true when you wreck (unless you crack it). The alum frame gets bent, and then you get weird vibrations as stuff does not align. I personally never had issues with bent shafts out of the box on my clone. However, as others said, check the loctite on the screws.
Oct 11, 2010, 12:54 PM
It might be a bit late, but the blades and canopy that come with that heli kit are horrible, so you might as well save $10 and get the barebones version, then use the $10 you save towards a better canopy and blades.
Oct 11, 2010, 02:49 PM
I love Futaba radios but that's not a great heli radio. For some unknown reason, they left out subtrims on that radio. At least that's what I understood from a friend who owned one. Some may disagree with me but I consider subtrims a must have when setting up a heli. As far as absolute bang for the buck, you can't beat Hitec. I normally fly Futaba but I got back in on a budget a few months ago and went with Hitec.
Oct 11, 2010, 04:09 PM
I would get a dx7. Last radio you will ever need to buy.
Make sure you get a good gyro too. Cost more money but it saves a hell of a lo of irritation.
Oct 12, 2010, 06:49 PM
Well I know I'm about to get jumped on by the Spektrum police but from my personal observations at SEFF for several years running, I would stay away from anything that is Spektrum. Just my personal opinion based on observations of problems at a large event.
Last edited by Sky_Dancer; Oct 12, 2010 at 08:13 PM.
Oct 12, 2010, 08:14 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Dancer
Well I know I'm about to get jumped on by the Spektrum police but from my personal observations at SEFF for several years running. I would stay away from anything that is Spektrum. Just my personal opinion based on observations of problems at a large event.
Well darn it, why did you have to go and say that. I had just finished convincing myself to go for the Dx7 over the Dxi6.

Any other suggestions for that price range? ($200) Was looking at the Hitec Optic 6, but that seemed in the same class as the Dxi6.
Last edited by Linker33; Oct 12, 2010 at 08:28 PM.
Oct 12, 2010, 10:13 PM
4.5 Kilowatts of Awesome
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linker33
Well darn it, why did you have to go and say that. I had just finished convincing myself to go for the Dx7 over the Dxi6.

Any other suggestions for that price range? ($200) Was looking at the Hitec Optic 6, but that seemed in the same class as the Dxi6.
Spektrum is fine... Everyone at my field flies with DX7s and we've never had any problems. Some people have had bad experiences, just like any other brand.
Oct 13, 2010, 03:56 PM
Actually in my mind a Hitec Optic 6 with 2.4Ghz module or an 2.4 Ghz Optic 6 Sport is a better radio than a Dx6i. I'm not saying that just because I don't care for Spektrum either. I think even if you take the choice of Spread Spectrum scheme out of it, they are just nicer radios for the money. That's just my opinion.
For sure, lot's of people fly Spektrum with no issues but personally I saw enough issues over the last several years I've attended SEFF to make me wary.
Again an opinion based on my observations. Your experience may be entirely different.
Oct 15, 2010, 03:18 PM
So have you decided on anything yet? Curious what you got or what you're leaning too. Let us know.
Oct 17, 2010, 07:10 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Dancer
So have you decided on anything yet? Curious what you got or what you're leaning too. Let us know.
I think I've narrowed it down to the following choices... Now I'm stuck and can't decide. If anyone would care to comment or add to the pro/con list below....

Airtronics RDS8000
Pros
- Cheapest of the three choices. Hear a lot that it's the best bang for your buck in this price range.
- From everything I hear it's a good radio with no major issues, besides a minor issue with the airloin stick wire, which is a minor fix.
Con
- No tail expo, which translates into limitations in the CCPM dept for helis as no swash servo EPA adjustment.
The lack of this option is the only reason I have not purchased one already. Not sure if this will be a big issue, but I plan on using this radio primarily to learn 3D on a 450 heli, so I'm not sure if this is the best heli radio.
- Not as strong user support as the 7c or Dx.
- I don't really like the way it looks, although I could overlook that flaw if it wasn't for the EPA issue.

Futaba 7C

Pro
- Seems that it has everything I would need
Con
- Rx's are expensive / no cheap Rx options
- More expensive of the 3 choices

Spectrum Dx7
Pros
- Cheap Rx options (Great for Foamies and homebuilt planes that I'd like to fly, not so great for aircraft that I care about crashing.)
- Strong user support
Cons
- I hear about alot of brownout/connection issues. I do understand that it could just be due to the number of users.
- Decent Rx's are not as cheap as the RDS8000's

Right now I'm kinda leaning towards the 7c. The RDS would have my vote if not for the EPA issue. Spectrum?.... IDK, I've just heard too many bad stories. Other wise it would probably be the definite favorite.
Last edited by Linker33; Oct 17, 2010 at 08:13 PM.
Oct 18, 2010, 06:42 PM
Ummm, can't comment on the reliability but I believe the Chinese are now making cheap clones of the FASST RX's. Also, check Servocity.com for a price on the 7CH/7 channel RX combo. I haven't looked lately but when I owned one, I had bought it there for a good price.

Quick Reply