Jul 31, 2010, 10:24 AM
Plane Destroyer / Life Enjoyer
Thread OP
Discussion

Burned up an ESC, question

So I had an E-flite 10amp ESC, a Rimfire 300 motor, a 3 cell 800mah lipo on Leadfeathers EPP Edge540.

I was using this same set up on my EPP Infineon and a few other foamies I have built and it worked fine.

The Edge weighs a bit more.

I maidened her yesterday and the flight went well. The motor seemed a little to weak since I had to have her at 75% throttle to hover. Again its a pretty heavy little foamie for the motor.

I landed in some WET GRASS (don't know how sensitive the gear is) but it didn't seem like anything got wet.

I gave the motor a little juice on the walk home it turned like 5 times and then stopped. I figured the battery was dead. I got home and hooked up a new battery to test my theory and a spark shot out of what I thought was my motor but on closer inspection my ESC had smoke coming out of it.

Here's my question, I grabbed a 18amp ESC from my toolbox just to test the motor and now it sounds a little weird while running and once I pass half throttle the motor sputters.

Did I blow my motor and ESC at the same time? The motor was smoking hot yesterday after the flight.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 31, 2010, 10:38 AM
Yep. I believe you cooked both of them.
Jul 31, 2010, 10:49 AM
Surface, Air & Water Rc Toys..
I you mite of smoked the motor that melted the shielding on the winding and cause a short in it then that smoke your ESC.

Check the motor windings with a meter.
Jul 31, 2010, 12:54 PM
Thread OP
That's what I was afraid of. I need to get a better set up for foamies.
Jul 31, 2010, 01:29 PM
RC Guru
Yeah, and don't buy those ElectriFRY motors, they have a tendency to do that, even with the recommended prop/battery.
Jul 31, 2010, 02:34 PM
... and may I suggest you get a wattmeter so you can check how many amps your setup is actually pulling?

A quick check on the Tower Hobbies site reveals that the Rimfire motor is rated for 9A continuous and 13.5A peak, so I would suggest that your ESC is a bit on the small side anyway.

Using your setup in a heavier than usual model could have made the difference from your previous experience.
Jul 31, 2010, 02:47 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbagit13

The motor was smoking hot yesterday after the flight.
If you can't put your finger on your motor and hold it there for 10 seconds after a flight, then the prop is the wrong prop for the motor/battery combo.
Jul 31, 2010, 08:56 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFlyZone
If you can't put your finger on your motor and hold it there for 10 seconds after a flight, then the prop is the wrong prop for the motor/battery combo.
This helps me a lot, HOW HOT IS TO HOT? Thats what I always used to wonder, this is a good rule of thumb.

I am buying a watt meter right now, I am doing way to much experimenting without one, its just going to cost me money in the long run.
Jul 31, 2010, 09:35 PM
Thread OP
I went to headsupRC and bought a Blue Wonder motor and 10 amp ESC, a Wattmeter and a bunch of other nifty stuff. Should be good to go.
Jul 31, 2010, 09:50 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress..
Yeah, and don't buy those ElectriFRY motors, they have a tendency to do that, even with the recommended prop/battery.
The funny thing is that I called the LHS and said "I want something like the ""infamous blue wonder"" and the guy said I don't sell cheap motors I only sell quality" and he sold me the Rimfire.

I had to return the first one he gave me because it was defective and he replaced it saying "yeah this happens all the time."
Jul 31, 2010, 09:57 PM
Thread OP
1 3 in 1 Wattmeter, Battery Balancer, Battery Checker @ $39.95 = $39.95

Can't go wrong.
Jul 31, 2010, 10:57 PM
AMA #953123
You will like the little BW motors. They have lots of power for their size.

Quick Reply