Jan 10, 2010, 02:39 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

Satori F3J From Aero-Tec

Guys,

Well I finally received my new Satori back on Monday and due to work and other commitmants did not get to start on the plane until late yesterday. I have attached a few pictures of how the plane comes out of the box and of the servo tray I will be using for the build. The Servo tray is available from Kennedy Composites or SUSA or if you are lucky like me from my brother.

The wings come pre-wired which will save lots of assembly time. The fuse wiring loom is provided but not installed in the fuse. The fuse though does come with a molded recess for the plug and everything fits perfectly. The overall fit of the plane is dead on perfect but the finish leaves a little to be desired. Considering this plane is tool for winning contests and hopefully will be really high most of the time the finish is not an issue.

As you can see from the pictures of the Servo Tray, I am using a JR DS3421 on Elevator and an Airtronics (ATX) 761 for Rudder. My plan is to use the new JR DS378 for flaps and ATX 761's on the Ailerons. I may reverse that choice depending on how the 761's fit in the ailerons. I know the DS378's will fit the ailerons or the flaps. All wing servos will be installed in mounts for easy installation and removal from the wing.

Here are the parts weights. I do not guarantee the accuracy of my cheap scale.

Fuse: 12.3 oz
Center Panel: 25.1 oz
Left Tip: 8.9 oz
Right Tip: 8.8 oz
Left Tip Joiner: .8 oz
Right Tip Joiner: .9 oz
Left Stab: .9 oz
Left Stab: .9 oz
Stab Rods: .2 oz

Total Dry Parts Weight 58.8 oz

As I proceed along with assembly of the plane I will be adding more pictures and details of the build. I hope some of you find this interesting and helpful.

Thanks,

Pat
to remove ads between posts
Jan 10, 2010, 07:09 PM
Hey Pat
Is there a ballast tube of some sort???
BL
Jan 10, 2010, 07:18 PM
Thread OP
Bob,

I did not get one with mine and was kind of bummed. Skip had mentioned in the other Satori thread that it was going to have a tube that would use the Orca Ballast but it was not in the kit and was not installed. Part of getting some of the first run of a plane I guess. On my next one I do not care if it comes with a ballast tube as it is going to be the SL (super Light) version and I will not be flying it when it is windy any way since I will have the STD Satori and still have my Orca for when the wind comes up.

See Ya,

Pat
Jan 10, 2010, 08:37 PM
Looks nice Pat, where did you get the tray? Also, did you have to mod it to accept the 3421 vs. a 368? I am building an Ava Pro and the tray that came willk handle two 368 only, would like to use a 3421 on the elevator.

Marc
Jan 10, 2010, 08:58 PM
Thread OP
Marc,

I got my tray from my brother who got it from Kennedy Composites. Yes I modified it to fit a 3421. I also modified it to fit the 761 I have on the rudder. I also added 1/8" ply on the bottom to give the screw more bite. Not necessary if you use the supplied screws but I wanted to use hex head servo screws which were a little too small diameter for the pre-drilled holes in the mounts. Total Mod time about hour. Could do the next one in about 15 minutes because all the engineering (ha ha) has already been done. Still have to make one more mode to fit my charge jack switch I want to use. Have to pick up the switch tomorrow at the hobby shop so could not do it today.

See Ya,

Pat
Jan 10, 2010, 09:07 PM
I have looked at the tray a couple of times that I have and talked myself out of modding it, but I may rethink that. The one that comes with the Ava now is offset a bit for a short horn long horn on off sides or both on one, but I will look at it again and see what I can do.

Marc

One other question, can 3421's be used for flaps or is that a no go no matter what?
Jan 10, 2010, 09:17 PM
Thread OP
Marc,

I think a 3421 would fit for flaps but I will have to double check. The only one I have currently is in the servo tray. I will take it out and check and get back to you.

See Ya,

Pat
Jan 12, 2010, 01:13 PM
Thread OP

Satori Set up Information

Guys,

I have just attached some Satori Set Up Information I received from Cody at SkipMillerModels

See Ya,

Pat
Last edited by pmccleave; Jan 12, 2010 at 01:14 PM. Reason: add attachment
Jan 14, 2010, 07:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OVSS Boss
I have looked at the tray a couple of times that I have and talked myself out of modding it, but I may rethink that. The one that comes with the Ava now is offset a bit for a short horn long horn on off sides or both on one, but I will look at it again and see what I can do.

Marc

One other question, can 3421's be used for flaps or is that a no go no matter what?
Marc,
Go ahead and do the 3421 in the tray. I did it for my Supra Pro, no problem. I ended up removing about 1/8" or so to fit the longer servo case, and may have had to widen just a bit. Just drilled new mounting holes. All in all a pretty painless process. Plus, you can get a replacement from Barry if needed.

Still in Alabama, so can't take ya a picture of the tray, but will be glad to when I get home end of the month. Remind me if you would like visuals.
JT
Jan 14, 2010, 07:42 AM
Thanks JT, just had not gotten that far yet, and would much rather use the 3421 for the stab.

Sad part is, you have not even got to go fishin down there...

Marc
Jan 20, 2010, 06:29 PM
<>< AKA W4BPS

Build?

How is the build doing Pat? Brian
Jan 21, 2010, 09:00 AM
Thread OP
Brian,

Between going out of town last weekend, work and family committmants I have not had time to work anymore on it. Hope to make a big dent in it this weekend.

See Ya,

Pat
Jan 21, 2010, 10:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OVSS Boss
Thanks JT, just had not gotten that far yet, and would much rather use the 3421 for the stab.

Sad part is, you have not even got to go fishin down there...

Marc
Not a problem. Spending time with Rob and Valeta is well worth it. Though it was a drag not getting some flying, too damn cold. I'll be back in Huntsville this weekend, hope to remedy the flying thing.
JT
JT
Jan 24, 2010, 10:58 PM
Thread OP

Pictures of the Servo Tray and Ballast Tube

Guys,

I finally got a chance to spend some more time on my Satori. After talking to Cody about choice of servo trays, I decided to go back to the supplied tray over the GRP Tray. From what Cody says, Stefan counts on the tray for part of the structure of the nose. I also wanted to add a ballast tube and it was much easier to do so using the supplied tray. Hopefully I can get to the wings next.

See Ya,

Pat
Jan 25, 2010, 09:56 AM
Questio scientia
"Stefan counts on the tray for part of the structure of the nose".

Pat-
Can you clarify on this statement......I'm not understanding what you mean here.
Thanks.

Quick Reply