Jul 05, 2012, 06:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed
If you are going to do it yourself and I am. You really need to take some time and use magnification to check your work along with cleaning with alcohol after the job is done. Make sure that there are no solder whiskers between pads. Those of you that have built MK esc's know what I am talking about. This is not for the faint of heart or someone that thinks that they can do it all in a few minutes. It will take time. I am half way through one arm. I am hoping to do all of them today. I may not finish them. But I will know that my work is right when I am done. I do have a pro-grade soldering station with multiple tip options and adjustable temps.
Ed what did you use to clean the esc before you desolder? It seems there's somekind of silicone stuff on there..
Cheers
to remove ads between posts
Jul 05, 2012, 09:37 PM
Thanks for the Fish
It is a silicon conformal coating to control moisture. I us a Dremel Tool wire brush with my drill. You can get most of it off the solder joints. From there, you can heat up the solder and remove the wires. Be careful because I almost ripped off two pads because of the adhesion of the coating. If the solder is melted and it is not coming off, the try the wire brush again or use a small blade to detach the wire from the coating. Then try again the soldering iron.
Jul 05, 2012, 11:52 PM
i think we could use this frame with standard 40A ESCs like we do on F550 . just need some DIN plugs or other on each esc to keep it foldable . no more unsafe imprinted circuit and hot ESCs. Maybe someone did that already?
Jul 06, 2012, 12:17 AM
manual flying apologist
Quote:
It is a silicon conformal coating to control moisture. I us a Dremel Tool wire brush with my drill. You can get most of it off the solder joints. From there, you can heat up the solder and remove the wires. Be careful because I almost ripped off two pads because of the adhesion of the coating. If the solder is melted and it is not coming off, the try the wire brush again or use a small blade to detach the wire from the coating. Then try again the soldering iron.
Ed I thought your s800 wasn't one of the affected ones in the recall..... I thought I remembered you saying that.
Jul 06, 2012, 01:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingbiscuit1
can anyone explain what the changes actually do? (besides in theory lowering the temp) What was the reason the capacitors were there for?

thx
Try to do it simple. For "opening and closing" the FET, it needs a very small current, for a small period of time. This current is "cleaned" from spikes and rubish by the 33Ohm resistors and the capacitor.
Because of the high resistance combined with the capacitor, the FET stays open a little longer then it has to, because of the discharging from the capacitor combined with the higher resitance resistors.

There is no need to desolder all the wires, just solder a lower SMD resistor on top of the existing resistor, and put on a little varnish. It's a precise job, but with a magnifying glass and enough light it is not very difficult.

Kind regards,
Aldert
Jul 06, 2012, 01:58 AM
That is, what I thought also, if you just want to bridge, you do not need to remove the resistor.
Jul 06, 2012, 02:54 AM
so could we bridge only with solder on the top of resistor and no wire
Jul 06, 2012, 07:47 AM
Thanks for the Fish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adidas4275
Ed I thought your s800 wasn't one of the affected ones in the recall..... I thought I remembered you saying that.
I have not had the problem with overheating esc's, however, I have been flying without a gimbal since I am waiting for the 2 axis Z15. I rarely fly the S800 right now because of that. It was recommended that I participate in the recall to be on the safe side. The last thing that I want to do is have the gimbal and nex5n mounted and have it go down.
Jul 06, 2012, 08:03 AM
Dealers, and customers who sent email to S800@dji-innovations.com are being notified of our findings. I believe we identified the source of the problem. This is the reason behind some S-800 owners don't have any issues.

Quote:
July 6, 2012

In light of the current events involving S-800 crash and higher ESC temperature, our engineering team has been searching for cause and solution relentlessly.
It has now determined the higher than normal ESC temperature is not the root cause of the incidents. Due to the S-800 design of removal motor arms compound by the longer motor wires and distribution board is causing M1 (motor 1) in the master controller manufactured before January 31, 2012 to fail intermittently. However, they do not affect the use of other airframes using traditional ESC placement. Please note, WKM MCs manufactured after February 1, 2012 does not have the problem.
We are in the process of a voluntary replacement of WKM MC manufactured before January 31 to all S-800 owners. The replacement units will arrive to your dealer where you purchased the S-800. Please send the original MC back to your dealer when you receive the replacement.
To ensure the MC is manufactured before February 2012, an instruction is attached for easy verification.
Customers purchased S-800 during pre-order period will be contacted by DJI for direct MC replacement. However, they can also contact our dealers if preferred. This program will last for 60 days from today.
Customers experiencing high ESC temperature should follow the modification we announced earlier or request replacement ESCs from your dealers or contact DJI directly using S800@DJI-innovations.com email address.
We offer our new OSD transmitter to all S-800 owners affected by this. Also S-800 crash before today will be replaced free of charge (freight prepaid). Our apologies to all S-800 owners affected.
S-800 MC Check (2 min 34 sec)
Last edited by sidneyw; Jul 06, 2012 at 08:09 AM.
Jul 06, 2012, 08:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidneyw
Dealers, and customers who sent email to S800@dji-innovations.com are being notified of our findings. I believe we identified the source of the problem. This is the reason behind some S-800 owners don't have any issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnfu-R58ERo
Ok this is actually good news, they may have found the problem, I assume we still need the ESC replaced? Can you confirm this

thanks
Jul 06, 2012, 08:34 AM
Thanks for the Fish
If you have an effected MC, you don't have to replace the esc's. The Mod will still work and those that did it and it is functioning fine don't have to worry. I am happy that this is something relative simple to fix vs the esc fix.
Jul 06, 2012, 08:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingbiscuit1
Ok this is actually good news, they may have found the problem, I assume we still need the ESC replaced? Can you confirm this

thanks
I would, if the mod is too much to handle; or don't want to handle. Besides, I want a 100% fix, so we all can go forward.
ESCs will be sent to dealers locally.

Quote:
If you have an effected MC, you don't have to replace the esc's. The Mod will still work and those that did it and it is functioning fine don't have to worry. I am happy that this is something relative simple to fix vs the esc fix.
Let's make sure all is fine; peace of mind. Cooler ESC is better in my mind, I will feel better at least. Anyone crashed the S-800 with the sudden crash .... talk to the dealer or send email to the S800 address. It might take a week or more; but less than 2 weeks to get it out.
Last edited by sidneyw; Jul 06, 2012 at 08:41 AM.
Jul 06, 2012, 08:40 AM
Quote:
I would, if the mod is too much to handle; or don't want to handle. Besides, I want a 100% fix, so we all can go forward.
Sorry two conflicting advice here. Just to be clear, was there a problem with the orginal esc?. Do we need them replaced , if you have a later model WKM. Can this be the official word from DJI.

OK you beat me to the answer

thanks!

thanks
FB
Jul 06, 2012, 08:53 AM
Quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnfu-R58ERo
Do you know if DJI have exactly the same repair/replacement and the osd 'freebie' offer in all countries or just the US ?
Jul 06, 2012, 09:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by david.scarbrow
Do you know if DJI have exactly the same repair/replacement and the osd 'freebie' offer in all countries or just the US ?
If you own S-800 requiring ESCs change you will get OSD transmitter free. Only the transmitter and only 5.8 Ghz 500mw; no receiver. Likely we will ship the transmitter with battery tray.

Quick Reply