Dec 26, 2009, 12:49 PM
Thread OP
Help!

New to rc planes. Transmitter question.

Hello all. I'm the proud owner of a new rc jet. All thanks to ny boss.
This is what he got me http://www.bananahobby.com/1951.html

He got it for me for xmas kind of in the hopes that I will crash it. He tried his hand at flying an rc plane years ago (before I knew him) and failed miserably. I'm a fan of flying/combat/sim video games, and have been telling him that I could easily learn how to fly an rc plane. He knows I love the F-15, so thats what he got me. Now I know there's a big difference between a video game and this hobby. So that is why I'm here. I wish to show him up. To actually learn how to fly this thing and not crash it, I hope. So my first of many questions to come is about the transmitter.

Is this a good one? I have no instructions on it. I would like to get a cable to interface it with my pc and run a rc sim with it. Is that possible?

What are these jacks on the side?

I'm assuming one is for the pc interface cable, and the other for a battery charger?

I'm going to my local hobby store today to buy some good glue, and I hope to start assembly today. I will be taking my time. I'm in no hurry. It's snowing where I live, so I don't think I'll be flying anytime soon.
Thanks.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 26, 2009, 01:26 PM
Nice looking plane.
You are GUARANTEED TO DESTROY IT IF YOU TRY TO FLY IT!!
No BS. That is a VERY advanced plane. I've been flying 3 years, have 2 jets I fly with no trouble and that would scare the bejeezus out of me.
Even with lots of video game experience-no contest. SIM flight is NOT real flight, but it does help.
New RC fliers excited about jets go down that discouraging path all the time.

The TX is 'OK'. It'll do the job but it's nothing beyond basic. One jack port should be a charge port, the other may be a buddy box/SIM port-hopefully.
You can use rechargeable NiMh or alkaline in it most likely. Did you get a manual?

If you ACTUALLY want to be successful, stay on course with the SIM work, get a GOOD trainer (there are several- Hobby Zone Super Cub, Multiplex Easy Star, GWS Slow Stick), and learn to fly that first. Then get a good 4-channel aileron plane that's faster and master that.
Only then should you even attempt the jet, though getting a 'tamer jet' (like the ParkZone Stryker) would be a better step. You could even consider that instead of the 4-channel if you actually find you have some talent.

BANANA has GREAT marketing but lackluster customer service-many think lackluster would be a kind representation. Don't expect much help and DO NOT believe the marketing hype on their products.
Last edited by flydiver; Dec 26, 2009 at 01:31 PM.
Dec 26, 2009, 01:55 PM
Thread OP
Yeah, I know I'm not ready for this plane. And I've been doing a lot of reading this past day or so & am finding out about Bannan Hoppy. I'm not too concerned with thier cust service. Everything seems in order from them, other than a manual. It did come with assembly instructions, but thats it.

What are the MIX AIL ELE THR RUD switches for in the lower part of the tx? Is it to reverse the settings? Kinda like changing controller mappings?
Dec 26, 2009, 02:30 PM
Student of ohms law
Quote:
Originally Posted by killerv
Yeah, I know I'm not ready for this plane. And I've been doing a lot of reading this past day or so & am finding out about Bannan Hoppy. I'm not too concerned with thier cust service. Everything seems in order from them, other than a manual. It did come with assembly instructions, but thats it.

What are the MIX AIL ELE THR RUD switches for in the lower part of the tx? Is it to reverse the settings? Kinda like changing controller mappings?
The switches reverse the directions of the servos assigned to those channels. Please.. follow Flydivers suggestions to the letter.. he is giving you excellent advice.
Dec 26, 2009, 02:31 PM
Quote:

Yes-changing direction or mixing controls.
AIL = aileron
ELE = elevator
THR = throttle
RUD = Rudder
MIX = for mixing ailerons + elevator (elevons) for deltas and jets with that style of wing.

I am NOT sure but that 'may' be an Exceed TX in different clothing.

You might do some research around that top and look this link over a bit.

Even though they don't have good service apparently there is ONE GUY there that is decent. I'd try to connect with him and see if there is data/manual/info on the TX.

Good chance you can yank the RX (receiver) out of the plane and use the TX and battery in a suitable trainer. I'd get new servos and speed controller and motor depending on what you get. The servos will be too hard to take out, the motors unsuitable for hardly any other application and the speed control, well maybe depending on several factors.

I'd mentally just put the plane aside. Focus on picking a trainer you would find most palatable and putting energy into that goal. HUGE amount to learn in this sport. Basic Flying is easy, learning all this other stuff takes time.
Dec 26, 2009, 02:46 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
"MIX" is for either V-tail or elevon mixing. Don't worry about that one for now.

"AIL" is for aileron reversing, which means that if the ailerons run the opposite direction from what they're supposed to you just flip the switch and they move correctly. Same goes for all the other switches.

Do yourself a favor: Follow Flydiver's advice and DO NOT try to fly it yet. Get a lot of time in on a simulator. Also, there are some huge differences between games, sims, and actual R/C flight. In a game the flight controls are dumbed down a lot to allow the player to concentrate on shooting, checking radar, etc. Try flying in a game with this in mind. You'll see that the way the plane reacts with inputs is very predictable.

On a sim, you get a better idea of what flying is like but you don't get depth perception and the plane gets pixellated if you go too far away. You plane will cover the pixellation distance in about 10 seconds. The sim helps with locking down the orientations (what to do when the plane is heading towards you inverted etc.) and learn to not panic when it's in a sticky spot.

A very, very important part of flying the simulator (and I see this one a lot) is the fact that a crash is a guaranteed solution. The pilot flys around for awhile then gets bored and just crashes. Or a pilot will be in a tough spot and just crash so he can push the button and start over. Whenever I'm flying the simulator at my hobby shop (they have one set up for customers to try out) I make a hard point of taking off, flying, and then landing the plane safely and positioning it for the next person. It's fun to just ram a plane into the ground once in awhile but it might come back to bite you.

I've been in positions with my own (physical) planes where my frst reaction is to smash it and push 'reset'. I've never done it but still.....

Then there's actual flight. (You'll hear this from any experienced pilot, by the way) No amount of sim time or flight instruction can prepare you for that first second when you apply throttle to your own plane and let it go off down the runway. There is no comparison. Simulators are often much easier to fly than real planes (the planes don't fall as fast etc.) and when you take off for the first time that plane is going to go like a rocket. You'll jerk the sick one way, then the other, then swear, then watch it hit. 100% destruction.

Start on an easier plane (Slow Stick, Super Cub, EasyStar) and learn to fly in real life. Going from a sim to an F-15 will be impossible.

Get help from experienced pilots and do them and yourself a favor: listen to them and pay attention. They know what they're talking about. A lot of noobs like to say "Well, that doesn't make sense. I'm gonna do it my way" and crash immediately.

Also, the people here are always around and ready to provide answers to your questions.

Good luck with your Eagle
Latest blog entry: Park pattern/pylon perfection!
Dec 26, 2009, 04:59 PM
Hot glue is for everything.
I would not fly that jet until you get a trainer(ex.multiplex easy star)and learn how to fly. Only then can you even start thinking about flying jets. I fully reccommend multiplex easy star,I have been flying for only 1 year and I'm ready for a different plane but not a jet,especialy an expensive one.
Last edited by alpha8; Dec 26, 2009 at 06:06 PM.
Dec 26, 2009, 05:08 PM
Thread OP
Well you guys pretty much summed up exactly what I thought. I should not fly this thing....yet.
I did go to my local hobby shop today & tried out RealFlight on a pc they had setup. I was able to take off, flip, turn,fly around and land. It had a real rc transmitter hooked up & it felt pretty good. I've never used this rc sim before and it looked real good. I might get that one before the real flight (crash)

However, if I crash, it's nothing out of my pocket. But we'll see. Like I said, i'm in no hurry.
But I am going to assemble it soon. If anything, this is going to look awsome pu together. It will be a very expensive F-15 model for a while.
Last edited by killerv; Dec 26, 2009 at 05:21 PM.
Dec 26, 2009, 05:39 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:

I wish to show him up. To actually learn how to fly this thing and not crash it, I hope.
Hi Killer,

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that's why he's the boss. He knows beyond a shadow of a doubt that the plane will last maybe 4 or 5 seconds before it explodes in a shower of foam.... on your maiden flight.

The only question I have is... I wonder why he spent all this money knowing you were going to just burn it up in a few seconds anyway?

Good luck, you're going to need every bit you can get.

Chuck
Dec 26, 2009, 05:47 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFlyZone
Hi Killer,

The only question I have is... I wonder why he spent all this money knowing you were going to just burn it up in a few seconds anyway?

Good luck, you're going to need every bit you can get.

Chuck
He knows that I'll learn how to fly either before I fly this plane, or after I crash it. Either way, he wants to get into this hobby real bad and now he'll know somebody with experience, and have an "RC buddy". He has an RC helicoptor that I actually flew pretty good the first time. He crashed it pretty bad shortly after.So I might have impressed him. I dunno. He's a good boss.
Dec 26, 2009, 06:33 PM
Real Flight is top notch and if you are a gamer and don't mind the expense your PC should be well up to the task. You can often pick up 4.5 for ~$100 on the groups. There are several free or inexpensive ones, just do a search on something like [RC flight sim]:
FMS, CRRC, Clearview come immediately to mind.
Dec 26, 2009, 07:02 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by flydiver
Real Flight is top notch and if you are a gamer and don't mind the expense your PC should be well up to the task. You can often pick up 4.5 for ~$100 on the groups. There are several free or inexpensive ones, just do a search on something like [RC flight sim]:

The shop near me was selling it for $79. It was not the better version. But it was nice. I think it was G5.
Dec 26, 2009, 07:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flydiver
I've played MS Flight Sim for years with a joystick and throttle. Also have recently tried Real Flight and I have to say Real Flight is worth the money if your new to RC planes. I used Real Flight to ensure my first day out with my new Super Cub LP was not a complete disaster and I must say it was very helpfull in hindsight even after using FSX for all those years. I read somewhere though that when using Real Flight don't get crazy with the controls, because you will take it out on the airfield with you. That is the truth, I found myself doing things without thinking today that I did in Real Flight, sometimes not very safe - I was lucky to correct for them before wrecking my plane. Again, using someone elses saying but in Real Flight or any Flight Sim treat your plane like it is $200.00 or more and do what you would do in real life, because when you get out to the field you will do what you do in the sim.
Dec 26, 2009, 07:58 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rss334
I've played MS Flight Sim for years with a joystick and throttle. Also have recently tried Real Flight and I have to say Real Flight is worth the money if your new to RC planes. I used Real Flight to ensure my first day out with my new Super Cub LP was not a complete disaster and I must say it was very helpfull in hindsight even after using FSX for all those years. I read somewhere though that when using Real Flight don't get crazy with the controls, because you will take it out on the airfield with you. That is the truth, I found myself doing things without thinking today that I did in Real Flight, sometimes not very safe - I was lucky to correct for them before wrecking my plane. Again, using someone elses saying but in Real Flight or any Flight Sim treat your plane like it is $200.00 or more and do what you would do in real life, because when you get out to the field you will do what you do in the sim.

That's good advice. There's a rc sim for the xbox 360 that I've been playing and I'm sure a lot of the moves you can do with the plane are a little more easy than in real life.
Dec 27, 2009, 06:54 AM
どうもありがとうミスターロボット
Moves aren't the hard part. It's easy enough to flip a plane around in the air. The hard part is controlling it smoothly and deliberately. Generally speaking, landing is at least 100 times harder then doing a loop or roll.

Anyway, it sounds like you do have some ability at least in hand-eye coordination, but don't let it go to your head. There is a lot more involved other than just reflexes, including flight theory and so on. Every plane is different and reality has a lot more going on than what a sim could ever completely account for. Though I do recommend using a sim as a learning aid.

Real Flight is a great sim, but pretty pricey. Are you sure it was the full version of G5 that they were selling and not an upgrade or something?

Quick Reply