Oct 19, 2012, 03:33 AM
I was just about to announce that.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 19, 2012, 09:26 AM
MultiCopterPilot & Film Maker
Thread OP
Here's another FPV-type video I just finished shooting. The Scarab FPV Reconn is so smooth that very little went into editing and producing this video... :-)

Enjoy the grooving ride!

Scarab FPV Reconn - FPV Grooving (3 min 18 sec)
Oct 19, 2012, 11:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyj
Here's another FPV-type video I just finished shooting. The Scarab FPV Reconn is so smooth that very little went into editing and producing this video... :-)

Enjoy the grooving ride!

http://youtu.be/r962AqaGT7s
Another GREAT vid, Jason... thanks!

Two quick questions:
Are you using 5.8 or 1.3?
It looks like Patch antenna on the tripod, hardwired to the goggles, yes?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

I'm trying to make some decisions regarding the last of the FPV hardware. I'm in the mountains, will be flying in ALOT of trees, and understood that 1.3 "punches through" modest obstacles a bit better than 5.8.

I'd appreciate anyone else's opinion as well. I've learned a TON from this forum, and truly appreciate everyone's contributions.
Oct 19, 2012, 11:43 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10x200
Another GREAT vid, Jason... thanks!

Two quick questions:
Are you using 5.8 or 1.3?
It looks like Patch antenna on the tripod, hardwired to the goggles, yes?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

I'm trying to make some decisions regarding the last of the FPV hardware. I'm in the mountains, will be flying in ALOT of trees, and understood that 1.3 "punches through" modest obstacles a bit better than 5.8.

I'd appreciate anyone else's opinion as well. I've learned a TON from this forum, and truly appreciate everyone's contributions.
Thanks! I'm using 5.8 200mw with CP antennas on the TX and RX. Yes, it doesn't penetrate trees very well - I have to manage my flight path to avoid the thicker parts.

My 1280mhz 700mw FPV gear works great behind the trees - so I suggest that for FPV in the brush.
Oct 19, 2012, 01:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyj
Thanks! I'm using 5.8 200mw with CP antennas on the TX and RX. Yes, it doesn't penetrate trees very well - I have to manage my flight path to avoid the thicker parts.

My 1280mhz 700mw FPV gear works great behind the trees - so I suggest that for FPV in the brush.
I appreciate the input. I'm finishing my Armour Stealth build and about to order TxRx for FPV. I'll be flying primarily Mtn Biking and Skiing, and also exploring using it with the Mountain Search and Rescue Team that I'm on. LOTS of trees here, lol.
Oct 19, 2012, 07:24 PM
Dear all,

Here is a new film release, made with the QuadOcta set up as Quad. This is with the Graupner e-props. My personal conclusion on these is a prefer the triples as they give good results in hover as well as fast forward while the e-props tend to give a small gello when flying fast forward (even if the balancing is done carefully).

This is again in the South of France, this time in Rustrel, the place is called Provençal Colorado !

Colorado Provencal - Rustrel - Luberon - FPV Multiwiicopter Carbonbird Quadocta (1 min 50 sec)

Cheers,

Gregory
Oct 20, 2012, 06:36 PM

It flies and it dies.

I just thought I'd post an image of my newly completed carbon armour. It had its maiden a couple of days ago and being a complete noob it did all the things I expected it would do i.e. porpoising (too much throttle - over compensate with too little- then overcompensate the other way before a heavy landing). My second flight however was in acro (big mistake) and I flipped it 45 degrees and drove her into the ground from about 5 metres.
I did get the GPS/MAG unit but I'm flying with them off (I think).
Anyway the result is three broken props and two bent engine mounts. Lucky Quinton is having a sale.
First noob impressions - this $hits harder than it looks. But those fleeting few seconds where I thought I had control and complete mastery of my aircraft have me hooked.

Lessons learnt - I've had to move the battery forward to compensate for the rear boom. The battery position and thus the CG was better on the maiden than the second time as it may have been a little nose heavy and thus harder to control. Also next time, I'll leave it in level mode and won't try acro until 2014

I should be flying (bouncing) again next weekend. There are so many interesting natural and historical (WWII) sites here in the Northern Territory of Australia that I'd love to share from our unique perspective.
Oct 20, 2012, 08:28 PM
Thread OP
Gregory - Nice video, interesting place to visit and explore...

Groboz - looks good - everyone's got to start somewhere, glad you started with the Scarab! It's not easy at all, so get some practice in. Congrats on the new copter and maiden flight. Looking forward to the WWII sites when you get a chance.
Oct 21, 2012, 05:02 PM
FPV flyer

New Y6 Scarab footage, finally stable video :)

Here is it, first flights with doublebladed props 8x45, the threeblades 9x50 are now out of the game for me

the doublebladed are so easy to balance and copter is now how to say "more active", I like it!

Multikoptéra - Podzim u dendrolky a noční let (3 min 42 sec)
Oct 21, 2012, 05:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprstemvnose
Here is it, first flights with doublebladed props 8x45, the threeblades 9x50 are now out of the game for me

the doublebladed are so easy to balance and copter is now how to say "more active", I like it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkbDZSvhJTE&feature=plcp
FANTASTIC... and you're right, very smooth. I'm pleased to see your video, as the 8x45 doubles have been recommended as more efficient than the triples, and this is an issue for me because of altitude. I live at 8,000 ft and will do alot of video above 10,000ft.

Is this the recorded video from a GoPro? and "raw", without post production stabilization?
Oct 22, 2012, 03:56 AM
FPV flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10x200
FANTASTIC... and you're right, very smooth. I'm pleased to see your video, as the 8x45 doubles have been recommended as more efficient than the triples, and this is an issue for me because of altitude. I live at 8,000 ft and will do alot of video above 10,000ft.

Is this the recorded video from a GoPro? and "raw", without post production stabilization?
Hi, thank you, after three months of fighting with triple blade props balancing I found the 8x4,5 double blades are realy the best for me

Yes it is recorded by HERO2, no post-production, just the night shots are denoised a litle bit.

David
Oct 22, 2012, 10:49 PM
Thread OP
Here's the latest MultiWiiCopter.com video from California... It's a CCX race that took place at Candlestick Point in San Francisco. An Olympic medalist, Dag Otto, was there racing with the locals as well as filming for an episode of "On the Wheel with Dag Otto" (Norway TV show). I met some of the film crew, and they want to include some of my video into their TV show - cool!

Here's the video, enjoy!

MultiWiiCopter.com // BASP Race 2 - Candlestick Repechage (3 min 1 sec)
Oct 22, 2012, 11:16 PM
AKA MajorProps831
Good Deal on getting your footage on the Norway TV Show... Maybe I should have gone out with you that day
Oct 24, 2012, 03:41 PM
Control the Truth#1 goal inWAR
Greetings all, My First post here. I have been building a tricopter carbon bird, with just 3 motors. I have it all together the mid points at 1500 for the two front rotating arms. All motors calibrated and running smooth. I started with the long booms to learn to fly this also. Basically I cannot get it off the ground without it doing a death spin. When I slowly power up the motors I would get a yaw to the left, adjusted back motor to offset. Both front motors are set strait up identical. Now if I power up motors slowly it will still do a death spin. I tried to compensate with sticks but it acts like the servos for front motors turn in direction of the YAW left or right. Its like it turns the servo motors the wrong way for YAW action compensation. I can slide the copter on the floor and all stick movements are correct. The TX is getting correct response from the Copter, but the servos turn into the yaw and goes crazy around, even when the sticks go the other way. Any Idea's on what I've missed?? The servos are at 1500 for mid point 1100 on the bottom and 1900 for the top. I don't think this is mechanical in nature but possibly adrino sketch might need a tweek, but I don't know where.
Thanks for any input on the problem,
Oct 24, 2012, 04:42 PM
I have a video for that
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTronicWSP
Greetings all, My First post here. I have been building a tricopter carbon bird, with just 3 motors. I have it all together the mid points at 1500 for the two front rotating arms. All motors calibrated and running smooth. I started with the long booms to learn to fly this also. Basically I cannot get it off the ground without it doing a death spin. When I slowly power up the motors I would get a yaw to the left, adjusted back motor to offset. Both front motors are set strait up identical. Now if I power up motors slowly it will still do a death spin. I tried to compensate with sticks but it acts like the servos for front motors turn in direction of the YAW left or right. Its like it turns the servo motors the wrong way for YAW action compensation. I can slide the copter on the floor and all stick movements are correct. The TX is getting correct response from the Copter, but the servos turn into the yaw and goes crazy around, even when the sticks go the other way. Any Idea's on what I've missed?? The servos are at 1500 for mid point 1100 on the bottom and 1900 for the top. I don't think this is mechanical in nature but possibly adrino sketch might need a tweek, but I don't know where.
Thanks for any input on the problem,

The direction will be set wrong in the board

Assuming you have a Paris Board: did you order it with the trikopter kit?

If so it should've shipped as a Tri- board

What you will need to do is re-load the arduino sketch file into the board, making sure that the following lines are commented/uncommented:

//#define YAW_DIRECTION 1
#define YAW_DIRECTION -1 // if you want to reverse the yaw correction direction

There is plenty of detail on how to do all this here:

http://www.multiwiicopter.com/pages/multiwiicopter-wiki

Quick Reply