Apr 14, 2012, 11:14 PM
Oxy 5 Meg, OMP M2 Evo and M1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Skull
That's the main reason I went with a 450 V2/Sport clone rather than a Pro. The pro feels hard and robotic to me compared to the softer more graceful response of the Sport. The Pro is a better 3D machine but to me the Sport flies better.

I thought I would stick with 120's when I started on helicopters last year (anything bigger scared the crap out of me). Then I saw a 600 being flown and was instantly in love with it. So now I'm moving up to a 450 and plan on a 600 sometime next year when I'm confident enough to fly it. I guess I might be more interested in it if I was actually planning on getting any more micros.
IF you did grow a second head, would it be like your username (atomic skull)? LOL... it's too late for corny jokes, or is it?
to remove ads between posts
Apr 14, 2012, 11:18 PM
Have Guitar Will Travel
Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob
My other fear is that Blade will just copy my clutch on theirs and leave me hanging with a big investment and no way out...
Well, if you think a couple of hundred is alot for the heli, just wait till you get the bill from the patent attorney !
Apr 14, 2012, 11:29 PM
Heli collector
Quote:
That's the main reason I went with a 450 V2/Sport clone rather than a Pro. The pro feels hard and robotic to me compared to the softer more graceful response of the Sport. The Pro is a better 3D machine but to me the Sport flies better.
I have a history of buying Blade heli's and then getting the Walkera in the same size and liking them better.. My two mSR's sat on the shelf after getting the CB100's, the two mCPX sit on the shelf after getting the three Genius's.. The two 120SR's mostly sit of the shelf after getting the V120's I do take them out now and then but boy are they hard to fly after the D02S. The SR will even with the DDVP tail I just don't like flying it. the CX2 sits hiding behind the SR. But then that cute S300 sits there going come on you know you want to fly me, remember all the good times we had at the cottage sitting on the deck learning nose in hovers, landing on that little table, flying out into the darkness and back with just my little RX light to glide you...

So now we are looking at getting a Blade 130X in the same size as the V120's that I love.. Just hard to do unless I can justify the cost as R&D for the slipper clutch with the hope of making enough money to pay for it.. But the volume might be there but then that adds to the time involved both making them and the computer time keeping track of the orders, more trips to the PO at 5+ bucks in gas, even more lost ones in the mail that I have to replace out of my profit. Good thing I have months to think about it..

I'm going to bed,,, good night guys...
Apr 14, 2012, 11:33 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Quote:

I thought I would stick with 120's when I started on helicopters last year (anything bigger scared the crap out of me). Then I saw a 600 being flown and was instantly in love with it. So now I'm moving up to a 450 and plan on a 600 sometime next year when I'm confident enough to fly it. I guess I might be more interested in it if I was actually planning on getting any more micros.
For me, I just can't afford to crash anything bigger than this. This isn't my only hobby but it's currently the cheapest one even at 2 or 3 hundred for a bird... I can't buy a decent pro quality camera lens or piece of gear for my recording studio or musical instrument for that. Those other hobbies suck my wallet dry as it is, so I need to keep the initial layout and maintenance on this one as reasonably low as possible while still owning things that appeal to me... for helis I'm capping that at 120 size and I'm about to pay for my first plane ($170) and will probably pick up a car/truck/buggy ($200-$250) when my tax refund comes in

... then I'm done (yeah, right )
Apr 15, 2012, 12:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_of_49
For me, I just can't afford to crash anything bigger than this. This isn't my only hobby but it's currently the cheapest one even at 2 or 3 hundred for a bird... I can't buy a decent pro quality camera lens or piece of gear for my recording studio or musical instrument for that. Those other hobbies suck my wallet dry as it is, so I need to keep the initial layout and maintenance on this one as reasonably low as possible while still owning things that appeal to me... for helis I'm capping that at 120 size and I'm about to pay for my first plane ($170) and will probably pick up a car/truck/buggy ($200-$250) when my tax refund comes in

... then I'm done (yeah, right )
The funny thing is that except for the frame Tarot parts (which are the same or nearly the same quality as Align parts) are actually cheaper than the parts for my V120D02S. Maingear for my D02S is $5, Tarot 450 maingears cost $2 for a pack of two. Mainshaft and feathering shaft for the D02S are $4.50 and $4.00 each, Tarot 450 mainshafts and feathering shafts are $3.50 and $2.50 for packs of three. Even if I have to go to the LHS to buy Align parts it still comes out either the same or less than buying an equivalent part on the D02S. The entire helicopter together actually costs slightly less than my D02S.

Hobbyking HK-450GT Full Alloy: $46.99
Turnigy Typhoon 450 2215H brushless outrunner: $13.30
Plush 40 amp ESC: 19.99
3x Towerpro MG90 cyclic servos: $22.28
Fitec 9357 digital tail servo:$12.99
Tarot Gy550 MEMS gyro $19.99
Walkera RX802 receiver: $33.94
Set of pinons: $3

Total:$172.48
Last edited by Atomic Skull; Apr 15, 2012 at 01:06 AM.
Apr 15, 2012, 12:40 AM
Quote:
The funny thing is that except for the frame Tarot parts (which are the same or nearly the same quality as Align parts) are actually cheaper than the parts for my V120D02S. Maingear for my D02S is $5, Tarot 450 maingears cost $2 for a pack of two. Mainshaft and feathering shaft for the D02S are $4.50 and $4.00 each, Tarot 450 mainshafts and feathering shafts are $3.50 and $2.50 for packs of three. Even if I have to go to the LHS to buy Align parts it still comes out either the same or less than buying an equivalent part on the D02S.
I'm pretty much invested in DSM2/DSMX now... would I be able to bind something like that to the DX6i I just bought? I picked it up hoping it would be the last Tx I would need to purchase for this hobby (besides surface vehicles).
Apr 15, 2012, 12:57 AM
Quote:
I'm pretty much invested in DSM2/DSMX now... would I be able to bind something like that to the DX6i I just bought? I picked it up hoping it would be the last Tx I would need to purchase for this hobby (besides surface vehicles).
It would use whatever radio you want provided you put the appropriate receiver in it. If you wanted to save some money you could use this or this.
Last edited by Atomic Skull; Apr 15, 2012 at 01:07 AM.
Apr 15, 2012, 01:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisBean
I really wish they would demonstrate some regular sport flying to show how stable and smooth the heli is. Some sweeping figure eights and what-not.
Somebody equated the non-stop 3d flight to that of a mosquito. Definitely don't loose the 3d, but mix it up a little.
I agree. There's a leeetle, tiny bit starting @ 4:48. Hover, nice couple of pirouettes and then a slow drop to a landing. You got a few seconds anyway.
Last edited by erkq; Apr 15, 2012 at 01:14 AM.
Apr 15, 2012, 01:31 AM
Quote:
It would use whatever radio you want provided you put the appropriate receiver in it. If you wanted to save some money you could use this or this.
Right. Gotcha.
Apr 15, 2012, 11:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by liduno
I find it funny so many people are worried about a thread title..lol
+1
It is funny that people even give this a second thought indeed

I started the other thread after seeing HH announce on FB, within 7 minutes I had the news, I pre-ordered the bird and posted the "other thread" failing to refresh my browser to see an already, ill-named thread, in existence already - bad me.

While it is silly to have 2 threads on the same exact "vapor ware" heli, perhaps the mods want to close my "late to the party" thread and direct everyone here, great; merge the 2 threads and rename to make it more official, even better - remove one more reason to bitch on a forum = priceless (however, I suspect some are in it for the controversy)
Apr 15, 2012, 11:42 AM
Not a six pack
Didn't see any mention.. anyone know what battery connector will be used?

jst or jst-xh? love how none of the pictures shows the battery connector.

I have plenty of 450s. $240-279 might be the initial cost, but I've spent so much on repairing 450s... operating costs are very different. When I crash a 450 I know I broke something. This... hopefully not. Of course no one knows yet but if it's pretty crash-proof then it's still attractive.

And apart from cost.. even if repair costs are the same if it's as easy to fix as the mcpx or even if it takes 50% more time it's still attractive. repairing my 450s can take an entire evening. I used to enjoy it, but now I'd rather fly
Apr 15, 2012, 11:47 AM
It uses the same connector as all of the other 2S UMX batteries. http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...ry-EFLB3002S35
Apr 15, 2012, 11:49 AM
Not a six pack
Quote:
Originally Posted by benboy207
It uses the same connector as all of the other 2S UMX batteries. http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...ry-EFLB3002S35
I think that's a pretty good assumption but... ASS U ME

Saw that pic. can't see the power connector itself.

edit: I've only ever owned a couple HH planes/helis and they all use 1S. I have to assume the 2S have balance taps and power leads both. So the power lead is what i am wondering about. Does the UMX 2s battery not have both?
Last edited by rocketscience; Apr 15, 2012 at 11:57 AM.
Apr 15, 2012, 11:55 AM
Quote:
Couldn't agree more. I won't be flying it 3D, I'll be flying it like... well... like a helicopter.
I agree as well

And though I do aspire to flying 3D someday, for now having the chops and ability to maneuver the place/withdraw the heli from ANY situation are the skills I am most on track to develop - to tic-toc though 10 batteries in a row is not a goal of mine - flying it like a real helicopter incorporating stunts, speed, dizzying circuits, funnels, flips and rolls is much more gratifying to me = being able to do any and all inverted or in various orientations is even better!

No matter what I spend on this hobby, it's still more affordable, approachable, recoverable and realistic than pursuing a helicopter pilot license (and insurance) and the amount of flight time required to earn and maintain one, not to mention the price of the helicopter, maintenance, fuel, paddock, etc.

I find it interesting that they refer to the 130X as "3D-capable" it seems more than just capable, there must be something to the semantics of it I just don't know I don't know
Apr 15, 2012, 12:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketscience
I think that's a pretty good assumption but... ASS U ME

Saw that pic. can't see the power connector itself.

edit: I've only ever owned a couple HH planes/helis and they all use 1S. I have to assume the 2S have balance taps and power leads both. So the power lead is what i am wondering about. Does the UMX 2s battery not have both?
The UMX 2S battery has one plug that it both powers and balances through. You will need a special charge cable to charge them which you can get here http://www.progressiverc.com/review/...2/category/28/

Quick Reply