Oct 10, 2012, 02:24 PM
miniture aircraft pilot
no your shirt(s) are ready.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 11, 2012, 03:22 AM
Citizen of the Universe
Thread OP
WOOO HOOO! Thursday and Friday off to prep for WATTFEST 2012! I will be assembling planes for transport so I wont have to assemble them at the field. I might even have time to get a couple night flyers ready.Thinking of camping with the boys Friday night, not sure yet. Lots of Fun and good friends, really looking forward to this weekend!
Oct 11, 2012, 12:16 PM
Or current resident
Well, it looks like the October winds are going to ruin this event for me.
No way I can fly any of my models in 20MPH winds . I'll keep a watch on the forecast, but at this point it looks like I will be a spectator and might as well leave my models at home.
I quit going to SEFF because I was tired of having to drive stakes in the ground to tie my models to so they didn't blow away. I'm not going to do that again....
Glenn
Oct 11, 2012, 12:21 PM
Right Rudder
Glenn,

What Forecast Web Site are you getting your information?

I use this one and does not look that bad. Of course I have the larger and heavier Glow-To-Electric conversions that I can pick from.

http://www.usairnet.com/cgi-bin/laun...=KTPA&state=FL
Oct 11, 2012, 12:38 PM
Right Rudder
Glenn,

Seems like I found your source! Wow! Gusts to 30-MPH for Saturday!!!

Saturday Oct 13 Day: Mostly sunny in the morning then becoming partly cloudy. Highs in the upper 80s. Northeast winds 10 to 15 mph with gusts to around 30 mph.

http://www.weatherforyou.com/reports...andh&icao=KVDF
Night: Mostly clear. Lows in the upper 60s.
Oct 11, 2012, 01:07 PM
Right Rudder

National Weather Service Forecast

Take a look!
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...2=-82.4821&e=1

Saturday Sunny, with a high near 88. Northeast wind 9 to 14 mph increasing to 15 to 20 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 28 mph.

More like Combat Wings need to be flown.
Oct 11, 2012, 01:59 PM
Redneck Injuneer
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittSpecial
Glenn,

What Forecast Web Site are you getting your information?

I use this one and does not look that bad. Of course I have the larger and heavier Glow-To-Electric conversions that I can pick from.

http://www.usairnet.com/cgi-bin/laun...=KTPA&state=FL
I've been using the same link to keep an eye on it myself. I'm still coming as it looks as if it will at least be close to down the runway. A little breeze is always nice for slowing down the jets for landing. (as long as it's not a crosswind).
If nothing else I can shoot some more video. Last years came out pretty good. http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...kspBmIZC_q2RBV
Last edited by bill34207; Oct 11, 2012 at 02:06 PM.
Oct 11, 2012, 02:07 PM
Right Rudder
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill34207
I've been using the same link to keep an eye on it myself. I'm still coming as it looks as if it will at least be close to down the runway. A little breeze is always nice for slowing down the jets for landing. (as long as it's not a crosswind).
If nothing else I can shoot some more video. Last years came out pretty good. http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...kspBmIZC_q2RBV
Agreed!
Oct 11, 2012, 02:38 PM
Citizen of the Universe
Thread OP
I have been following the Weather Channel online and the winds for the most part will be far below 20MPH, I guess it depends on which weather we look at. I wouldnt expect the forcast to very accurate untill the late Friday afternoon or evening. We had a forcast similar to this last year and the day ended up being low winds and actually great weather. I am hoping for the same this year.
Oct 11, 2012, 02:43 PM
Citizen of the Universe
Thread OP
Carlos and Bill, You both did a great job of video taping last year. We were so busy worrying about how the event was going and waiting for issues that never materialized that we didnt plan for taking much video, this year we hope will be different. I will have a computer on-site to view still images and video on the spot. There will be such a wide variety of aircraft that igf the winds do get higher many aircraft will still be able to fly. There will be several 1/4 scale aircraft in attendance. I would appreciate it if you guys would share the video you get so I can put everyones together for a big video. I will gladly share what I get too. We will be getting lots of in-flight video to share too.
Denny
Oct 11, 2012, 03:00 PM
Or current resident
Yeah, it's not like their forecast has never been wrong! I'm still hoping and took tomorrow off to get everything ready. I was looking at the same usair site. 16-20MPH, 4 MPH don't matter at that point when you are flying a 30" span model that weighs 6oz. My micros are grounded at about 4MPH!
Glenn
Oct 11, 2012, 06:56 PM
HAL... Open the damn doors!
Guys! Get your gear, pack it up and hit the road! Me and Rob Lynch are hitting the road from the Fort Lauderdale area around 10:00 AM tomorrow (Friday). Wind or not! We're going to fly, talk, eat and have fun! Besides... It's not like we all don't drag our gear around all the time, we're used to it, we all love showing our stuff so think positive, we're flying, what good is it sitting in your shop! Also, Friday and Sunday look sweet so no excuses, lock and load boys!

Jack
Oct 11, 2012, 07:28 PM
Or current resident
I've done too much work in preparation, I'm coming too. I'll bring all my stuff and if it's too windy I'll leave it in the truck. Guess I could bring the stakes and string and tie them down. I have a couple of planes I can fly in some wind. Even if I don't fly, I can watch and B.S.
Glenn
Oct 11, 2012, 10:01 PM
HAL... Open the damn doors!
Quote:
Originally Posted by glewis
I've done too much work in preparation, I'm coming too. I'll bring all my stuff and if it's too windy I'll leave it in the truck. Guess I could bring the stakes and string and tie them down. I have a couple of planes I can fly in some wind. Even if I don't fly, I can watch and B.S.
Glenn
We can also all sit back, eat, chat and watch gold finger fly, if you don't know who that is you certainly will by Sunday as he'll likely log 30+ flights, wind or not ;-)

Jack
Oct 12, 2012, 12:53 AM
Citizen of the Universe
Thread OP
LOL, I like that, Goldfinger. Maybe we should consider a "Goldfinger" award for next year for the "person who gets in the most flights during the event.
Denny

Quick Reply