Oct 08, 2012, 07:47 PM
Wow!!!! The 22" Yak flys so much better than the Beast
to remove ads between posts
Oct 08, 2012, 07:51 PM
Off playing tug
Thread OP
Hey Lee,
The 22's that I don't have anymore of are the painted kits, I had done a run of 10 or so painted ones awhile back. I do still have the Gcode for the 22"er and can cut you one at any time, $42 for the white kit(very much like what you get in the 18" kit (it also comes with a 2 piece carbon mount for the park 180) just let me know and I'll get one cut for you. We can meet up in town too if you want, no need to pay shipping.

Chris
Oct 08, 2012, 07:55 PM
Cut it, I want that plane bad. Like I said, I live on the ES and I work at the base, so yea we could meet somewhere.
Thanks,
LeeU
I'll PM u my cell
Oct 08, 2012, 07:59 PM
That would be West Side
Oct 09, 2012, 03:12 AM
Hey Chris, what sort of price would I be looking at for shipping to the UK? I imagine it's quite a sting .
Oct 09, 2012, 09:21 AM
Off playing tug
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Add1ct3dd
Hey Chris, what sort of price would I be looking at for shipping to the UK? I imagine it's quite a sting .
Last time I checked I think it was about $30 to get one of my shipping boxes across the pond. I can fit up to 5 of these kits in one box, if you could get a couple flying buddies to go in on a group order the shipping wouldn't be to bad per kit...If you PM me a zip code I'm happy to get you a shipping quote.

Thanks for the interest,
Chris
Oct 10, 2012, 09:03 AM
Off playing tug
Thread OP
Hey Guys,
After waking up to a stack of emails asking is I was still cutting these and the 22" version I decided to update the original post with some info about the 22" kits. If you are wondering, yes I am still cutting these and the 22". Most orders ship in less than 24 from the time placed.

Thanks for looking,
Chris
Oct 10, 2012, 12:22 PM
I just purchased one of Chris’s 22” Yaks yesterday, in my opinion the kit should not be built, it should put on a mantel and admired as it is pure art, just kidding mine will be built and have the wings flown off of it. I was going to buy the 18” but with the availability of the 18” running gear and the fact I live in Abq @ 5300’ I decided on the 22”. The gear I will be using is from the UMX Beast version 2 or the AS3X Technology version. The latest version has a 5 amp brushless controller instead of the 3.2 amp controller on the first version of the Beast. Here is a lot of good info on Beast mods which can be used on Chris’s 22” Yak build if you use the Beast gear.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1349163

I will be using the AP05 brushless motor up grade suggested for the Beast, a lot of people with the original Beast speed controller could not run the AP05 without it cutting out, no problem with the new one. This motor puts out 30 grams more thrust than the original Beast 2300 kv motor while weighing 1.5 grams less, "side note" the AS3X version has a 2500 kv motor and the AP05 is 3000 kv. The AP05 is kind of hard to get but I just got one to day from
http://m-a-e.com/Sub_Pages/Products/...ccessories.htm

I will be trying a few different props including the GWS 3 blade 5X3X3 with the intent of producing more thrust at slower speed, will let you know how that works out.
Thanks Chris for a great kit
Last edited by LeeU; Oct 10, 2012 at 12:28 PM.
Oct 10, 2012, 12:36 PM
Forgot, the orginal Beast 2300 kv motor has 99 grams of thrust, anyone want to build a 53 gram airplane with 129 grams of thrust or a 2.43 power to weight ratio.
Oct 10, 2012, 06:20 PM
Off playing tug
Thread OP
Thanks for the kind words about the kit Lee. I'm interested to see the performance of that motor at our elevation. I have another 22" project waiting to be converted to Gcode I'd be interested in using one on.

Chris
Oct 11, 2012, 05:08 AM
So as I read it then, the 18" is the UMX gear and the 22" is for the Beast gear? (aka 2s)?

Still having trouble deciding what frame to go for and justifying the shipping, living on this side of the pond sucks, especially when there are not even any clubs local (for indoor).
Oct 11, 2012, 07:38 AM
I'm liking the idea of the 22" with the AS3X and almost 2.5:1 pw. Yes 18" is 1s, 22" is 2s
Oct 11, 2012, 12:34 PM
Off playing tug
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Add1ct3dd
So as I read it then, the 18" is the UMX gear and the 22" is for the Beast gear? (aka 2s)?

Still having trouble deciding what frame to go for and justifying the shipping, living on this side of the pond sucks, especially when there are not even any clubs local (for indoor).
My vote would be for the 22". I always had more fun with my 22"er due to the extra power, I'd also recommend the 22"er since it should fly outside a little better than the 18" since you said you didnt have an indoor facility. The 22"er on 2s 240's is a good as a backyard flyer.

Chris
Oct 11, 2012, 12:52 PM
I fly 3-C Crash,Crunch,Crumble
My backyard is a real challenge, as it is full of antennas, and guy wires
Oct 11, 2012, 01:09 PM
Off playing tug
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. foambuilder
My backyard is a real challenge, as it is full of antennas, and guy wires
gotta say Roy, I'm a little hurt to find out you have an obstacle course in your back yard and never invited me over to fly...

Quick Reply