Dec 09, 2012, 04:27 PM
QuAd FaNaTiC
lol

we had snow but the rain took it all away.

an rc sled would be cool; theyre are some good ones out there but pricey

the cheap ones need lots of mods to be any good.

the kyosho blizzard all modded is pretty cool; some neat vids on youtube.

I'll check out your channel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Yeah, I got into RC cars back in the late 80s when the RC10 Team Graphite 2WD buggy was the new kid on the block. Messed around a bit with off-road & on-road racing up in northern MN, but then got out of it in the mid 90s. I caught the bug again last year and picked up an SCT & Mini 8ight last to have something to screw around with when the wx sucks for flying. Check out my YouTube channel for a few videos. Nothin' fancy - just some WOT passes down the street with the Mini 8ight on 3s, a few passes with the bl SCT on Hyp 240s, and a bit of screwing around in last year's snow.

Speaking of snow - I've got a foot in the yard so far & it's starting to snow harder. I need an RC snowmobile....

Joel
to remove ads between posts
Dec 09, 2012, 05:58 PM
in memory of dez RIP
@ parker http://www.googleadservices.com/page...%253D244494305

im sure you could mod it to brushless with your skills .
Dec 09, 2012, 05:59 PM
Will the Micro Brushless Rally run okay on 2S or 3S LiPo packs? The pack it comes with is a 4.8v NiMH, so a 2S at 7.4 seems a little high and a 3S at 11.1 seems insane... but the manual on their site has an optional parts list and both of these batteries are on it.

An internet search turns up people having problems with 2S (servo works, esc won't spin motor), but 3S working. But I can't tell if these are the old vehicles with the optional brushless upgrade or this one with it already installed.
Dec 09, 2012, 06:27 PM
Boost rules!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcphreak View Post
@ parker http://www.googleadservices.com/page...%253D244494305

im sure you could mod it to brushless with your skills .
Interesting. I'm looking for something ICE-powered, though. I have no desire to put up with all of the problems associated with running LiPos in -20 F temps. I've thought about getting a nitro or gasser sled a number of times over the years. If this is a sign of how the winter's going to be, this just might be the year that I go for it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryfrog View Post
Will the Micro Brushless Rally run okay on 2S or 3S LiPo packs? The pack it comes with is a 4.8v NiMH, so a 2S at 7.4 seems a little high and a 3S at 11.1 seems insane... but the manual on their site has an optional parts list and both of these batteries are on it.

An internet search turns up people having problems with 2S (servo works, esc won't spin motor), but 3S working. But I can't tell if these are the old vehicles with the optional brushless upgrade or this one with it already installed.
As I noted in my previous post - I'm running 2s in my SCT - which is essentially the same vehicle. No problems at all with the 2.4GHz bl conversion kit & the 8750Kv motor. Of course, you have to time your runs, as the ESC doesn't have a LiPo LVC setting. I haven't tried 3s. It's already fast enough on 2s!

Joel
Dec 09, 2012, 06:48 PM
Quote:
As I noted in my previous post - I'm running 2s in my SCT - which is essentially the same vehicle. No problems at all with the 2.4GHz bl conversion kit & the 8750Kv motor. Of course, you have to time your runs, as the ESC doesn't have a LiPo LVC setting. I haven't tried 3s. It's already fast enough on 2s!

Joel
I don't know how feasible it is, but if I ran 2S or 3S I'd actually like to change the pinion ratio. I'd like to make it slower, with more torque. With the 4.8v on carpet in my apartment, I have to give it a lot of throttle to get moving and it won't go very slow. Outside on smooth ground it does fine. Crazy talk?
Dec 09, 2012, 09:47 PM
Boost rules!
Quote:
I don't know how feasible it is, but if I ran 2S or 3S I'd actually like to change the pinion ratio. I'd like to make it slower, with more torque. With the 4.8v on carpet in my apartment, I have to give it a lot of throttle to get moving and it won't go very slow. Outside on smooth ground it does fine. Crazy talk?
The pinion & spur set includes three pinions & two spurs, so you've got six ratios to work with.

Joel
Dec 09, 2012, 11:03 PM
Quote:
The pinion & spur set includes three pinions & two spurs, so you've got six ratios to work with.

Joel
Fantastic! I thought you might mean the spares it came with, but I think you're talking about Pinion & Spur Set: Micro SCT, Rally, Truggy by Losi (LOSB1752)? There is no text description saying they're of various tooth counts and they're so small, I can't tell from the photos. But surely this is it?

Are there any other things that are worth it? I see they have a ton of aluminium parts, though I was surprised a chassis wasn't one of them.

Edit: Or could you mean Ring & Pinion Gear Set: Micro SCT, Rally, Truggy by Losi (LOSB1760)?
Dec 10, 2012, 08:58 AM
Boost rules!
Yeah, I was referring to the LOSB1752. I haven't tried any of the aluminum parts. I'm into performance-enhancing upgrades, but I'm not into bling. There has to be a tangible performance or longevity benefit for me to be interested in upgrade parts. I've been thinking about tightening-up the steering & getting a more precise steering servo.

Joel
Dec 10, 2012, 12:12 PM
Never left one up there yet...
I just bought a couple of these little guys. We have adult kids showing up for Xmas so this will keep the gaffers busy. I own an airplane hangar at the local airport and built a mini track just for these things! Should help to get rid if the winter blahs as the flying weather here is horrble this time of year.

Cheers

MJ
Dec 10, 2012, 12:37 PM
Technomancer
Quote:

With the AM system - 2s max

With the 2.4ghz system - 2s to 3s

2s wont cause any issues stock (am or 2.4ghz), but 3s with the 2.4ghz setup may cause over heating issues. People usually add cooling fans, heat sinks, aluminium motor mounts, etc to help with the over heating issue.

I havent changed my gearing from stock (12t pinion and what ever the stock spur is), but with the aluminium motor mount and cooling fan everything stays rather cool.

EDIT: Also I use the 8750kv LOSI motor

If you are using 2s it pays to have a decent charger, because if the 2s lipo is charged over 8.4v the esc picks it up as a flat 3s and kicks in the LVC. Playing with the steering until the voltage drops below 8.4v works if you encounter the issue
Last edited by valiantGLX; Dec 10, 2012 at 12:43 PM.
Dec 10, 2012, 12:41 PM
Quote:
Yeah, I was referring to the LOSB1752. I haven't tried any of the aluminum parts. I'm into performance-enhancing upgrades, but I'm not into bling. There has to be a tangible performance or longevity benefit for me to be interested in upgrade parts. I've been thinking about tightening-up the steering & getting a more precise steering servo.

Joel
Thanks, I'll order those pinions. I'd be open to aluminium parts for things that might break easily, but after bashing this little thing around it seems like the cover does a good job of protecting most of it. I am a little disappointed in the steering, maybe a strong spring on the servo saver. When you turn left and go back to straight, it goes left a little... and when you turn right and go back to straight, it goes right a little.

Are there any parts that tend to break? I like to have a couple spares on hand for frequently broken parts, but I've no idea what might break on these guys.
Dec 10, 2012, 12:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by valiantGLX View Post
With the AM system - 2s max

With the 2.4ghz system - 2s to 3s

2s wont cause any issues stock (am or 2.4ghz), but 3s with the 2.4ghz setup may cause over heating issues. People usually add cooling fans, heat sinks, aluminium motor mounts, etc to help with the over heating issue.

I havent changed my gearing from stock (12t pinion and what ever the stock spur is), but with the aluminium motor mount and cooling fan everything stays rather cool.

EDIT: Also I use the 8750kv LOSI motor
Thanks, I ordered a few HK 2S batteries that should fit, that'll be plenty for me. I also got a 2S and 3S audio alarm since there is no LVC in the ESC or batteries I got.

If I 3S, I'll keep in mind the motor mount and fan.

I'm still not so great with the whole motor kv rating thing... what would be the point of using their ~10kv motor vs. the stock 8.7kv motor?
Last edited by fryfrog; Dec 10, 2012 at 01:00 PM.
Dec 10, 2012, 02:54 PM
Quote:
Thanks, I ordered a few HK 2S batteries that should fit, that'll be plenty for me. I also got a 2S and 3S audio alarm since there is no LVC in the ESC or batteries I got.

If I 3S, I'll keep in mind the motor mount and fan.

I'm still not so great with the whole motor kv rating thing... what would be the point of using their ~10kv motor vs. the stock 8.7kv motor?
Not sure which HK batteries you ordered, but these (though out of stock at the moment) fit perfectly in the stock battery compartment:
http://www.valuehobby.com/power-syst...7-4v-lipo.html
Dec 10, 2012, 03:20 PM

Best choice for kids?

HI,

I'm new to RC Cars (been in planes for a while though) and I was thinking of getting a couple of the micro sct's for my 7 year old and 10 year old for Christmas. There's a 19 year old and 53 year old around the house that might want to play with these also.

Anyway, I was wondering if the brushless/ spectrum version is worth the extra $40 or so. I like the idea of no long antenna for the kids to break off or whack each other with and the extra speed sounds fun for me but would it a brushless be too much for the kids? I was thinking of this car in particular because i wanted to something that was playable inside and out and could handle a bit of rough ground but that I could still afford.

I appreciate any thoughts from the experts. Thanks in advance.

Mark
Dec 10, 2012, 04:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdelling View Post
HI,

I'm new to RC Cars (been in planes for a while though) and I was thinking of getting a couple of the micro sct's for my 7 year old and 10 year old for Christmas. There's a 19 year old and 53 year old around the house that might want to play with these also.

Anyway, I was wondering if the brushless/ spectrum version is worth the extra $40 or so. I like the idea of no long antenna for the kids to break off or whack each other with and the extra speed sounds fun for me but would it a brushless be too much for the kids? I was thinking of this car in particular because i wanted to something that was playable inside and out and could handle a bit of rough ground but that I could still afford.

I appreciate any thoughts from the experts. Thanks in advance.

Mark
I don't have a brushed to compare to, but I'm pretty confident the 2.4ghz and brushless are worth it. If you decide to do it later, that kit looks to cost ~$75.

In my house, the car does *not* do very well on carpet. It requires a significant amount of throttle to get moving and quickly bogs down if you go to slowly. Outside, it goes fast and slow just fine on concrete and even blasts through wood chips.

I'm going to try using a smaller pinion and larger main gear to see if it'll help on carpet and that'd lower top speed as well if I cared about that much.

Quick Reply