Sep 02, 2012, 04:15 PM
Thread OP
New Product

Top Gun Park Flite Douglas C-47 Dakota ARTF Electric Warbird

Hi,

has any one got their hands on this latest offering from CML Distribution.

http://www.cmldistribution.co.uk/cml...tId=0000006861

I'm hoping mine will turn up tomorrow.

It will be my first Warbird and twin, previously owning and enjoying a Wot 4, Acro-Wot and Parkzone Extra 300, all foamies and electric powered + some gliders.

Always liked the lines of the C47/DC3 and thought that this model appears to recreate all the likeable attributes fairly well (from the advertising pictures).

Will let you know how I get on.

EG
to remove ads between posts
Sep 02, 2012, 04:29 PM
Capitalist
I wouldn't classify this as a Warbird... But if you can handle a PZ extra this would be a piece of cake. Keep us posted it looks darn nice!!!!
Sep 02, 2012, 06:27 PM
Suspended Account
Its the same one that Dynam has and sold by NitroPlanes
http://www.nitroplanes.com/60a-8931-c47-green-arf.html
Sep 02, 2012, 08:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnlrun
I wouldn't classify this as a Warbird... But if you can handle a PZ extra this would be a piece of cake. Keep us posted it looks darn nice!!!!
There's a lot of people from WW2 and the Korean war and Vietnam war who would agrue the "not a warbird " posting .
Sep 03, 2012, 05:50 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
From where I live in Lincolnshire, many of the paras and glider troops who landed at Arnhem from these and their towed Horsa gliders, were trained and billeted. They would definitely class it as a Warbird and a fine workhorse for the Allied Air Forces. The BBMF also has a fine example.

Anyway, I wanted it because of its beautiful and iconic shape.

I have also learned that one of the aircraft from 271 Sqdn (the one whose markings are used) was piloted by Flight Lieutenant David Lord, who persisted with the supply drop on Arnhem in spite of a fierce engine fire; only one man from the eight-man crew survived. Lord was posthumously awarded the Victoria Cross; the only one ever awarded to Transport Command.

Another of this squadron's aircraft was piloted by a certain Flt Lt Jimmy Edwards (a well known comedian here in the UK) who was awarded the DFC for releasing his glider on target, saving his whole crew and crashlanding the aircraft after sustaining severe damage from a fighter attack.

I wish to fly it as a tribute to these folk, when others at our club go for Spitfires, Hurricanes, Mustangs and the like, it will be something different to wheel (fly) out on Warbird days.

Looks like I shall have to wait a little while longer anyway, they have not arrived from the suppliers, so the model shop have advised of a slight delay in getting me mine.

I think it will be worth the wait.

EG
Sep 03, 2012, 06:24 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiztidbowler
Its the same one that Dynam has and sold by NitroPlanes
http://www.nitroplanes.com/60a-8931-c47-green-arf.html
Thanks for that.You're quite correct and I have been enthralled by their salesman/pilot and the construction videos.

Can't wait to get mine.
Sep 06, 2012, 01:39 PM
I get that 'WAR BIRD' means dif. things to dif. people. I think I'll refrain from telling my father you don't think the c-47 is a war bird, you see he had 2 of them shot out from under him and his crew in Vietnam. He might just have something unpleasant to tell you. All meant in good humor --but none the less true!
Quote:
Sep 10, 2012, 11:42 AM
Thread OP
Still not got the model, so no more news.

Have read all the interesting stuff on the Dynam version, so waiting with quivering anticipation!!!!
Sep 12, 2012, 10:50 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricgeoff
Still not got the model, so no more news.

Have read all the interesting stuff on the Dynam version, so waiting with quivering anticipation!!!!
Model arrived today with a couple of problems (see pictures). This must have happened when the parts were packed in China as the boxes and mailing cover was completely untouched.

However, having discussed the bends and stress fractures in the foam with the supplier, it was agreed that it is possible to fix without them sending two new parts (fuselage and tailplane).

Decent glueing, the application of a couple of cocktail sticks and some careful support in the appropriate places will almost certainly bring all the parts together and have them straight and flyable eventually.

There are a few other small issues, like the fact that the cut edges of the rudder, ailerons and elevators are still glaringly white. Also the cockpit edge is damaged and the battery hatch cockpit cover edge is similarly visible. Luckily, I have plenty of various camouflage colours from well known static kits of warbirds, these will soon be covered in.

Everything else seems fine. There are two sets of props and spinners, plenty of small screws (just incase we fumble fingered westerners drop them I assume) and I will enjoy putting everything together over the coming days.

As this kit is so like(is exactly the same as) the Dynam kit available Stateside and elsewhere, I shall transfer to the very large thread (2400 posts) running at https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...88923&page=160

I hope other UK flyers will soon be recieving theirs and that we shall hear more about this kit and flying it from more folk.

That's it, EG signing off to go to the new location.
Last edited by electricgeoff; Sep 12, 2012 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Can't spell, I'm so excited!
Sep 12, 2012, 11:59 PM
Quote:
Not a warbird. Ha Ha Ha. That's got to be the most ridiculous statement I have read all day long. Funny stuff!

Quick Reply