Jul 20, 2012, 12:01 PM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I started off at 15 expo and 100% dual because I used my mcpx settings, then I looked at the manual and adjusted them, it said 40% so I tried that, I thought it would be way too numb but it's actually very comfortable.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 20, 2012, 03:53 PM
Just dumped the expos - not noticed any significant difference. Will continue with 100% no expo...

But added -17% on rudder (on DX8) just to speed it up around the centre... Now tail feels bit faster...
Jul 20, 2012, 10:41 PM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I finally got the A-gear today in the mail. I switched it out, man what a gigantic PITA it was to do this. I 've rebuilt the mcpx like 5 times over but this was much more frustrating. Maybe next time it will go smoother. I loosened the main shaft from everything and then loosened the a-ring, hoping to avoid taking the tail apart which I heard needed to be done. When I pulled the main shaft out, the worn a-gear just fell out. I thought cool, this should be easy, if it came out so quickly, the new one will pop in just as easily. Nope. Not a chance. Because the new one is not worn it is bigger and that extra mm is enough for it not to go into place. The little metal gear is in the way. You might force it if you try but it will likely bend the shaft. I broke down and took the tail apart. It's the only way. The metal gear that turns the a-gear fell out, the tail gears in the back fell out, everything is just loosely attached and leaning on something else, it's so intricately designed. Many miniature shafts and collars, watch out for flat spots, everything has one, you think it won't fit back in but there's a microscopic flat spot that needs to be lined up. Finally got the new gear in, I also changed out the metal gear since the pack included one and it fell out too, figured the original might have some microscopic wear enough to shorten the life of the new gear. Finally got it all back together and fired it up, it starts spinning in circles on the floor! I gave full opposite rudder and nothing. I looked up some tail close-ups on google and noticed that I put the little vertical gear on the opposite side of the horizontal gear in the tail. AAARRGGG, tear it down and redo it all over again, it was making the tail spin the other way. Finally got it done and spooled it up once more. Perfection. Back to brand new. It popped up 2 feet off the ground in the room and just hovered there hands off. I took it outside and punched it hard both normal and inverted and no tail blowout. Just a hint upon full jamming of the stick but that's normal, just like before.

I think I may actually go for the metal gear next time. If the energy is transfered to the little tail gears then that's fine with me, much easier to replace those. Replacing the a-gear was not so much fun.

LOL
Sep 05, 2012, 02:38 PM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
Kawi,
You should have watched the repair video about the tail drive gear. No need to remove the tail shaft. 2nd video
Gary

http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=433660
Oct 13, 2012, 01:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawi
I finally got the A-gear today in the mail. I switched it out, man what a gigantic PITA it was to do this. I 've rebuilt the mcpx like 5 times over but this was much more frustrating. Maybe next time it will go smoother. I loosened the main shaft from everything and then loosened the a-ring, hoping to avoid taking the tail apart which I heard needed to be done. When I pulled the main shaft out, the worn a-gear just fell out. I thought cool, this should be easy, if it came out so quickly, the new one will pop in just as easily. Nope. Not a chance. Because the new one is not worn it is bigger and that extra mm is enough for it not to go into place. The little metal gear is in the way. You might force it if you try but it will likely bend the shaft. I broke down and took the tail apart. It's the only way. The metal gear that turns the a-gear fell out, the tail gears in the back fell out, everything is just loosely attached and leaning on something else, it's so intricately designed. Many miniature shafts and collars, watch out for flat spots, everything has one, you think it won't fit back in but there's a microscopic flat spot that needs to be lined up. Finally got the new gear in, I also changed out the metal gear since the pack included one and it fell out too, figured the original might have some microscopic wear enough to shorten the life of the new gear. Finally got it all back together and fired it up, it starts spinning in circles on the floor! I gave full opposite rudder and nothing. I looked up some tail close-ups on google and noticed that I put the little vertical gear on the opposite side of the horizontal gear in the tail. AAARRGGG, tear it down and redo it all over again, it was making the tail spin the other way. Finally got it done and spooled it up once more. Perfection. Back to brand new. It popped up 2 feet off the ground in the room and just hovered there hands off. I took it outside and punched it hard both normal and inverted and no tail blowout. Just a hint upon full jamming of the stick but that's normal, just like before.

I think I may actually go for the metal gear next time. If the energy is transfered to the little tail gears then that's fine with me, much easier to replace those. Replacing the a-gear was not so much fun.

LOL
Sorry to hear that you had to take apart the tail assembly to mount your gear but it's not necessary, here is how I installed the metal gear (BLH3735).

remove the main shaft
hold the worm gear onto the torque tube with a flat object, ie: screwdriver blade.
use a pair of pliers, grip the A gear and use a rotating down force and it will pop out.
position the metal gear (BLH3735) with a pair of pliers and pop it into place.
install the main shaft
rest is just installing the main gear and connecting up the push rods to the swash.
Dec 17, 2012, 08:26 PM
ChuckTseeker Super Fan

Question for 130X owners...

I found the 130X for $225 + $9 shipping. I have the Nano and Mcpx V2 with complete Micro Heli upgrades... Now, I need another heli like I need a hole in my head... but... ever since the 130X was released I have had my eye on it. I am not a 3D guy and prefer scale flight. My 300mah MiG 15 batteries can be put to use with it. My concern is all the negative feedback and the fact that this thread is soooo small and inactive since October. Should I stay away from the 130X until they release a V2?
Dec 17, 2012, 09:24 PM
Boost rules!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphro
I found the 130X for $225 + $9 shipping. I have the Nano and Mcpx V2 with complete Micro Heli upgrades... Now, I need another heli like I need a hole in my head... but... ever since the 130X was released I have had my eye on it. I am not a 3D guy and prefer scale flight. My 300mah MiG 15 batteries can be put to use with it. My concern is all the negative feedback and the fact that this thread is soooo small and inactive since October. Should I stay away from the 130X until they release a V2?
Aphro,

You're in a dead thread. Here's the (very) active 130X thread: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1631872

Stop by. There's lots of activity.

I own the nCPX, a bl mCPX w/linear throttle, long-throw swash, 4G3 tail motor, a 130X, and a 300X. The 130X is an excellent-flying heli. Unlike the nCPX & mCPX, it flies just like the big birds. And it cuts through 15 MPH winds with ease. My mCPX has been collecting dust since the 130X came out. If you're into scale flying & you want to stay with a micro, I think the 130X would be a far better choice than anything else out there. It flies very big for its size. More like a 450. Very smooth and very stable with the weighted blades. Just tame her down for realistic flight on the tx & you'd be all set. The micro-size shaft-driven tail can be fiddly, but it's nothing that can't be fixed with a bit of tuning, or at most a couple of bearings & an aftermarket tail-shaft. The 130X is too big for the house, but it is perfect for the yard, park, or the local club's indoor flying spot.

Joel
Last edited by turboparker; Dec 17, 2012 at 09:53 PM.
Dec 17, 2012, 09:33 PM
ChuckTseeker Super Fan
I knew there had to be another thread... I searched for 130 and couldn't find another thread

So, what do you think... $225 good deal???
Dec 17, 2012, 10:25 PM
Boost rules!
Quote:
I knew there had to be another thread... I searched for 130 and couldn't find another thread

So, what do you think... $225 good deal???
If it is a NIB heli with the HH warranty, coming from a reputable dealer - yes. If not - no. They're going for $280 on HH.

Joel
Dec 17, 2012, 10:45 PM
ChuckTseeker Super Fan
ultimate hobbies
http://www.ultimatehobbies.com/istar...d=BLH3780!1002

They also have the 300x for $309... but I do not think the size or head speed suits my flying areas. It's just for winter in the house, yard and the garage... but I think the 130X is more piratical considering I have batts for it... whereas the 300x would require me to purchase additional batts that do not work with any other aircraft I own...
Dec 17, 2012, 11:10 PM
Boost rules!
Quote:
ultimate hobbies
http://www.ultimatehobbies.com/istar...d=BLH3780!1002

They also have the 300x for $309... but I do not think the size or head speed suits my flying areas. It's just for winter in the house, yard and the garage... but I think the 130X is more piratical considering I have batts for it... whereas the 300x would require me to purchase additional batts that do not work with any other aircraft I own...
I'd say go for it.

The 130X is way too big for the house - unless you have a very large house, and/or are an accomplished CP pilot. One blade into the big-screen & you'll be buying a new TV. I am not comfortable even just hovering it in the house for more than a short time.

Joel
Dec 17, 2012, 11:33 PM
ChuckTseeker Super Fan
Dang it... garage and yard it is But for $225it is a good deal... and I have additional batts ready to go. Not to mention it should be a stable yard flier
Dec 17, 2012, 11:46 PM
Boost rules!
Quote:
Dang it... garage and yard it is But for $225it is a good deal... and I have additional batts ready to go. Not to mention it should be a stable yard flier
I love flying it in the yard. I also really like my 300X, but my 130X sees a lot more stick-time because I can just step out onto the deck & fly!

I'm also more into scale flying, although I enjoy doing some basic aerobatics. I hope somebody comes out with scale fuselages for the 130X & 300X. I'd love a Bo 105CBS done up in the Red Bull aerobatic team colors. That way nobody could give me crap for not flying scale if I decided to do a loop, roll, or pyro-flip!

Joel
Dec 21, 2012, 06:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker
Aphro,

You're in a dead thread. Here's the (very) active 130X thread: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1631872

Just tame her down for realistic flight on the tx & you'd be all set. The micro-size shaft-driven tail can be fiddly, but it's nothing that can't be fixed with a bit of tuning, or at most a couple of bearings & an aftermarket tail-shaft. The 130X is too big for the house, but it is perfect for the yard, park, or the local club's indoor flying spot.

Joel
Hi,

How do you tame it down? I initially used the settings in the manual with expo 40%. If there is a more tamed down version than that, I would be interested to know.
Dec 21, 2012, 10:13 AM
Boost rules!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmmattil
Hi,

How do you tame it down? I initially used the settings in the manual with expo 40%. If there is a more tamed down version than that, I would be interested to know.
VM,

You tame it down by adjusting your normal & idle-up throttle & collective pitch curves to get the desired headspeed & collective response, by adjusting cyclic pitch to get the desired pitch & roll response, and by adjusting expo to get the desired control response near center-stick. Of course, you also want to use the weighted blades.

If you are not familiar with setting up a CP bird from scratch, I highly recommend Finless Bob's excellent CP tutorials over on HF. See the first page of this thread for links: http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=41692

Going forward, I suggest that people ask their questions in the regular active thread. No point in keeping both threads alive.

Joel

Quick Reply