Aug 09, 2011, 08:17 AM
I like the V200. It's a really fun trainer and up to the task for the little experiments. My public holiday today is done so time to get my feet and skids back on the ground for a few days. Happy flying!
to remove ads between posts
Aug 09, 2011, 10:09 AM
my mental eXcape!
Happy Holiday Nese!
Aug 09, 2011, 12:02 PM
[QUOTE=nese;18997320]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliGriff

Thanks in return. The point to note would be the obvious weight issue. This was probably my last helicam video with this camera since I could "feel" the strain on the motor and drivetrain. The gears thankfully survived this experiment including the crash in the short grass during the dry run Next time I'll use a HD keychain cam.
Would you post the info on the Helicam.
Where did you buy it?
Aug 09, 2011, 02:04 PM
my mental eXcape!
[QUOTE=clearprop88;18999429]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nese

Would you post the info on the Helicam.
Where did you buy it?
We need Nese' camera info. He has the correct configuration. I bought mine from xheli. It's actually designed to fit your shirt pocket. This was a bad choice because it must be verticle or at a 45 degree angle for heli use. But.. what do you expect for $22?

Nese is also correct about the weight being too much for the V200D01. Mine weighs much less than his and it is still too heavy for the V200D01. I'll use it on my 450 where it can mount verticle and the heli won't even know its there.
Aug 09, 2011, 04:56 PM
I haveno idea what I am doing
The keychain cam wouldn't be a problem for the 200 would it?
Aug 09, 2011, 06:43 PM

Keychain Cam

I mounted my key chain cam and it is no problem. Even tried tape over the mic but still have to cut sound on playback. My cheap cam is 720x640. Can get a 1280x960 for under $20 shipped on ebay.
Aug 09, 2011, 08:03 PM
my mental eXcape!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dmatt
The keychain cam wouldn't be a problem for the 200 would it?
Mine is the size of the keychain and it really made the heli fly horribly. Too much for a 200 size, in my opinion. Personally, I think it would be better to spend the money on Video Glasses so that you can watch your flights and use them for reference too. i like the idea of a heli-cam, but I'll put mine on a bigger bird.
Aug 10, 2011, 12:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliGriff
Mine is the size of the keychain and it really made the heli fly horribly. Too much for a 200 size, in my opinion. Personally, I think it would be better to spend the money on Video Glasses so that you can watch your flights and use them for reference too. i like the idea of a heli-cam, but I'll put mine on a bigger bird.
I just use the cheap sky glasses for my videos. They work best on cloudy days as the sun can make the colors flair. No need to put the mrs or kids in danger being your cameraman either.

Link- http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/720-x-480...item4aad7a2bad

Mick
Aug 10, 2011, 08:33 AM
For a long time I've been wondering how the V200's undercambered rotor blades effect handling. The 4F180's symmetrical blades seemed to be more stable and less effected by gusts. So, l bought a cheap set of symmetrical wood Trex 250 rotor blades here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=320711958988&
ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:US:1123

and made a set of brass pitch plates to adapt the blades to the V200D01 hub (see photos). The pitch is 12 degrees. With the blade lengths trimmed to match the original blades I only lost one half square inch of blade area, total.

With these blades my V200 has similar handling characteristics to the 4F180. Gust stability is markedly improved and I can comfortably fly in stronger winds and rougher air. Control response is unchanged from the undercambered blades. At hover RPM the current draw is lower and both the motor and ESC run much cooler. Like the 4F180, there is some lag in throttle response and I do have to lead throttle inputs a little. Rate of climb is less than the undercambered blades. I should be able to get better climb rates with slightly wider blades and lower pitch. All of these changes are characteristic of symmetrical airfoils. But, so far, all are good.
This is a work in progress. I may replace the rotor head with a 4F180 head with two blades. Then, I can do away with the pitch plates and be able to easily adjust blade pitch. Or, if I can find a two blade fixed pitch head I'll use that. Anyone have a suggestion?
Last edited by dsobbe; Aug 10, 2011 at 11:28 AM. Reason: added material.
Aug 10, 2011, 07:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsobbe
For a long time I've been wondering how the V200's undercambered rotor blades effect handling. The 4F180's symmetrical blades seemed to be more stable and less effected by gusts. So, l bought a cheap set of symmetrical wood Trex 250 rotor blades here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=320711958988&
ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:US:1123

and made a set of brass pitch plates to adapt the blades to the V200D01 hub (see photos). The pitch is 12 degrees. With the blade lengths trimmed to match the original blades I only lost one half square inch of blade area, total.

With these blades my V200 has similar handling characteristics to the 4F180. Gust stability is markedly improved and I can comfortably fly in stronger winds and rougher air. Control response is unchanged from the undercambered blades. At hover RPM the current draw is lower and both the motor and ESC run much cooler. Like the 4F180, there is some lag in throttle response and I do have to lead throttle inputs a little. Rate of climb is less than the undercambered blades. I should be able to get better climb rates with slightly wider blades and lower pitch. All of these changes are characteristic of symmetrical airfoils. But, so far, all are good.
This is a work in progress. I may replace the rotor head with a 4F180 head with two blades. Then, I can do away with the pitch plates and be able to easily adjust blade pitch. Or, if I can find a two blade fixed pitch head I'll use that. Anyone have a suggestion?
Take a look at the M200D01 2 blade head.
It looks like a 2 blade version of the 4F180.
Aug 10, 2011, 08:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearprop88
Take a look at the M200D01 2 blade head.
It looks like a 2 blade version of the 4F180.
Thanks for the info, clearprop88.
You're right. It is a two blade version of the 4F180 head. Looks like I made my own m200 head. From that experiment I can tell you that I will definitely be putting one on my V200D01.
Aug 10, 2011, 09:28 PM
my mental eXcape!
Quote:
You're right. It is a two blade version of the 4F180 head. Looks like I made my own m200 head. From that experiment I can tell you that I will definitely be putting one on my V200D01.
Keep it up Dsobbe and you'll have it flying 3D!
Aug 10, 2011, 10:09 PM
Quote:
Its a shame Walkera dont offer the separate complete heads as upgrade options like they did with the 4#6Bell. Ive done some piece meal head conversions in the past, and general the cost blows out with buying everything separate. Offering "bare bones" heli's for spares with Walkera stuff would also be popular I think.

Mick
Aug 11, 2011, 07:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo47
Its a shame Walkera dont offer the separate complete heads as upgrade options like they did with the 4#6Bell. Ive done some piece meal head conversions in the past, and general the cost blows out with buying everything separate. Offering "bare bones" heli's for spares with Walkera stuff would also be popular I think.

Mick
I fully agree. Forgetting the extra blades, which are fluff, the only difference between the V200D01 and 4F180 is basically the rotor head.
Of course, from a marketing point of view it makes perfect sense. The swashplate mounting and rotor head on the V200D01 is very tough; a necessity for a basic starter helicopter. If you could easily and cheaply replace the rotor head to give it sport flying capability a lot of 4F180 and M200D01 sales would be lost. Same thing with cars. More cup holders and electronic fluff for much more money.
It's all about the E. Ego and Economics.
Aug 11, 2011, 12:44 PM
I haveno idea what I am doing
This thread has officially gone above my paygrade.

Quick Reply