Dec 29, 2012, 12:17 PM
I love the smell of elapor....
Quote:
Originally Posted by ommadawn
Great stuff Bob! Its a common problem.
The PCB connector is the GPS socket on the RVOSD top printed cct board. I pushed on my GPS plug too hard once and tore the thing clean off the board. Luckily it came away without damaging the tracks, so a buddy with SMD soldering skills reattached it for me.
I suggested checking that cos sometimes it gets damaged in a crash if the lead gets ripped out.
Cheers
Frank
Frank, going to order some spare gps cables from RV. thanks again for your advice. it prompted me to go looking through a bag-o-partz and i cant believe i found a gps cable. Hope the fpving is good down in OZ. In New York its cold, rainy and quasi-snowing out. If you are in Sydney, go have a Carlton Cold Lager and a Steak on me down at Philips Foot! HAppy New year
to remove ads between posts
Jan 01, 2013, 09:28 PM
Might try my luck here... The other day I flew my plane with RVOSD/dragon link and was getting some strange glitches. Each time I gave it high throttle input it would go into failsafe which triggered RVOSD RTH. The failsafes were lasting about 5 seconds each time then after I could regain control. I repeated it about 5 times in the air. When I landed I tried again with high throttle but couldnt replicate it. Other times ive had a radio glitch it was while flying far away and only last for less than a second.

My best guess is the ESC BEC failing. But im not 100% sure, could be the dragon link or radio as ive been having some glitches with a copter too. Any ideas?
Jan 01, 2013, 10:43 PM
Praying for better weather
You should look at the variables, if you can not replicate your problems at close range as you can at long range then the only variable is your rc link. I would be thinking for sure its your UHF. Especially seeing the new version problems with Dragonlinks reliability
Last edited by Coyote64; Jan 02, 2013 at 05:37 AM.
Jan 01, 2013, 11:33 PM
FPV Pilot
Hi Guys,

Bit of a perdicament here. I fly an FPV Raptor with DragonOSD and the FY30 as well as a SkySurfer with the FY20 and a DragonOSD.

I really like dragonosd and am very comfortable with it. Buddy of mine uses the RVOSD and really likes it. What i like about the RVOSD is that it has the Stabilization built into it where as the DragonOSD i'd have to purchase an FY20 or FY30.

When you consider the cost of the DragonOSD and the FY30 it comes to about equal that of the RVOSD.

I plan on using this on my new Penguin. Help me decide guys.

Thanks
Jan 02, 2013, 04:31 AM
The Flying Circus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stunt Double
Might try my luck here... The other day I flew my plane with RVOSD/dragon link and was getting some strange glitches. Each time I gave it high throttle input it would go into failsafe which triggered RVOSD RTH. The failsafes were lasting about 5 seconds each time then after I could regain control. I repeated it about 5 times in the air. When I landed I tried again with high throttle but couldnt replicate it. Other times ive had a radio glitch it was while flying far away and only last for less than a second.

My best guess is the ESC BEC failing. But im not 100% sure, could be the dragon link or radio as ive been having some glitches with a copter too. Any ideas?
Have you done a range check? I recently had a Mk1 DL Rx fail on me. It would go out of range at about 1.5km.
Were you pointing the Tx antenna at the plane?
How far away was it?
Try connecting your 5v servo rail to the aux V input. Its a great way to keep an eye on what is happening with your RC supply rails, if you suspect BEC problems.
Swap out the DL Rx if you have a spare.
Also check your 5v wires coming out of the BEC. I had a case where they twisted together and the insulation rode up, allowing a short on the 5v supply. Theres an interesting clip of it here, watch the 5v Aux in the top LH corner.:
Near miss (2 min 2 sec)

A video clip would help.
Hope this helps..
Cheers
Frank
Last edited by ommadawn; Jan 02, 2013 at 04:37 AM.
Jan 02, 2013, 10:16 AM
Gravity is patient............
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueprint
Hi Guys,

Bit of a perdicament here. I fly an FPV Raptor with DragonOSD and the FY30 as well as a SkySurfer with the FY20 and a DragonOSD.

I really like dragonosd and am very comfortable with it. Buddy of mine uses the RVOSD and really likes it. What i like about the RVOSD is that it has the Stabilization built into it where as the DragonOSD i'd have to purchase an FY20 or FY30.

When you consider the cost of the DragonOSD and the FY30 it comes to about equal that of the RVOSD.

I plan on using this on my new Penguin. Help me decide guys.

Thanks

RVOSD5 is much easier to use and configure than the dragon osd. The dragon seems more like a college research project than a finished product. But it works well enough if you have the time to put into it. I have one on the shelf, but never could get it to work with the imu and a baro sensor at the same time, so I put it aside. At any rate the RVOSD is pretty simple and is well documented (in one place).
Jan 02, 2013, 01:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyd60
RVOSD5 is much easier to use and configure than the dragon osd. The dragon seems more like a college research project than a finished product. But it works well enough if you have the time to put into it. I have one on the shelf, but never could get it to work with the imu and a baro sensor at the same time, so I put it aside. At any rate the RVOSD is pretty simple and is well documented (in one place).
Agreed, rvosd works right outta the box and is well documented.
Jan 02, 2013, 01:45 PM
FPV Pilot
thanks guys!
Jan 04, 2013, 07:13 PM
WannaBeLikeJoshTheSlowJet
quick question guys, i have been using RVOSD5 for a long time but i am moving to another plateform, i will have

1- Aileron
2- Elevator
3- Throttle
4- Ruder
5- RVOSD 3 position switch
6- Pan
7- Tilt
8- Navigation lights on/off switch.

i wanted to have my flaps working since they are pre installed on the wings, but i am short on channels.

Anyway to have the OSD control the flaps and save a channel ?

otherwise i might reconsider the tilt and have only pan working.

what do you guys think ?
Jan 04, 2013, 10:43 PM
The Flying Circus
Connect rudder to your aileron channel on the Rx. Its not a completely satisfactory solution, but it works for me. Also, Nav lights??? I would sacrifice those before any flight controls.
Another option is Channel Wizard. I bought one but havent fitted it yet. It allows you to split a channel into multiple extra channels. Make your 8ch into 12 easy.
Channel Wizard adding 8 ch. via trainer (1 min 11 sec)

Cheers
Frank
Jan 04, 2013, 10:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ommadawn
Connect rudder to your aileron channel on the Rx. Its not a completely satisfactory solution, but it works for me. Also, Nav lights??? I would sacrifice those before any flight controls.
Another option is Channel Wizard. I bought one but havent fitted it yet. It allows you to split a channel into multiple extra channels. Make your 8ch into 12 easy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lE7slObvq_Q
Cheers
Frank
Thank you, but i like the nav lights, this plane is a night flyer and i want to be stealth when i decide to

i guess i can live with pan only, i will check that channel wizard !

thanks !
Jan 05, 2013, 12:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakchos
quick question guys, i have been using RVOSD5 for a long time but i am moving to another plateform, i will have

1- Aileron
2- Elevator
3- Throttle
4- Ruder
5- RVOSD 3 position switch
6- Pan
7- Tilt
8- Navigation lights on/off switch.

i wanted to have my flaps working since they are pre installed on the wings, but i am short on channels.

Anyway to have the OSD control the flaps and save a channel ?

otherwise i might reconsider the tilt and have only pan working.

what do you guys think ?
I would use ch8 for both flap and navigation lights.
Jan 05, 2013, 07:56 AM
The Flying Circus
Good idea. Switch up turns Nav lights on, switch down is flaps lowered..
Jan 05, 2013, 07:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firatp
I would use ch8 for both flap and navigation lights.
Only problem is i need Nav lights to be on when i land/takeoff, so that means they would be off when i switch the flaps off.
Jan 05, 2013, 04:44 PM
The Flying Circus
Easy. Use a latching push button operated by the servo arm. One press on, one press off.
Ideally you would also use a 3 position switch on the Tx.

Quick Reply