generic 100s and 120s ~ great upgrade over the stock 80mah
to remove ads between posts
Feb 12, 2013, 06:51 PM
Thread OP
indoor
Wright Brothers 1903 (3 min 4 sec)
Feb 14, 2013, 02:44 PM
Fly and Drive RC
@Elvill, great job at the Wright Flyer conversions... the gravity model seems like a great indoor slow fly model. Also, are you still working on the HobbyKing model? I think many would love to see the flight videos

I too have the HobbyKing Wright Flyer kit. I was thinking of using a single motor mounted horizontally to the wooden stick, and have that power the the twin-prop system (basically motorizing the rubber band system). Then, mount a servo for directional control (left-right).

I will try to take some pictures, to possibly better explain my thoughts.
Feb 14, 2013, 03:03 PM
RC beginner
i was thinking of a similar idea for my scratch built version. but two motors down on the stick for differential so i dont have to resort to servos or wing warping. i thought that would be more scale. but two problems: first experiments show friction of the "belt" cuts power to prop in half. second my scratch build is so non-scale looking in the first place why bother. so it looks like a couple 4mm at the props. and it looks like 5 gram is not practical either but 8 gram should be doable.
Feb 15, 2013, 12:33 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1993
i was thinking of a similar idea for my scratch built version. but two motors down on the stick for differential so i dont have to resort to servos or wing warping. i thought that would be more scale. but two problems: first experiments show friction of the "belt" cuts power to prop in half. second my scratch build is so non-scale looking in the first place why bother. so it looks like a couple 4mm at the props. and it looks like 5 gram is not practical either but 8 gram should be doable.
id be impressed with Any nice flying Wright, 8g auw good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiaHobby
@Elvill, great job at the Wright Flyer conversions... the gravity model seems like a great indoor slow fly model. Also, are you still working on the HobbyKing model? I think many would love to see the flight videos

I too have the HobbyKing Wright Flyer kit. I was thinking of using a single motor mounted horizontally to the wooden stick, and have that power the the twin-prop system (basically motorizing the rubber band system). Then, mount a servo for directional control (left-right).
I think a couple people did the HK that way - using the drive system. I love diff thrust control, 3bladed 5043 just arrived yesterday, gonna try 5g bl first then 10g, three-day weekend pics/vid should be up soon.
Feb 15, 2013, 02:22 PM
Wow!! am I glad I just found this recent thread!!!. I have owned a HK Flyer(bought at Hobby Lobby) yrs ago and always wanted to convert it to electric, but never liked the big outrunner path as used on the youtube video from China. Tempting but always thought of it been pig heavy.So found another RCG thread weeks ago about an Australian guy using same approach,we exchanged communication but I decided to go the UMX way.First I thought of using just UMX P51 motors and gearboxes setup but after some calculations of weigh and wing area suggested by some forum members(thanks UNGN!!) ,decided to go same route as you with a more powerful brushless setup from HK for which I got my package in the mail just yesterday.
I ordered 2-3000 kv motor(110g Thrust) and the Turnigy 8-10 esc as the one you got was out of stock at the moment but weigh the same.(check pics).Im also planning on using HK micro servos for rudder and elevator,plus the Orange 415RX.Also ordered 2 different prop sets both in CW and CCW(5030 and a bigger 6x3) as I thought using the original ones were going to be too much for this motors.
So now that im so glad that I found this thread with great results from you would like to ask many questions even thou you are still not done with the "bigger" flyer yet.
1)Need to know where the COG is for this airframe.
2)are you using part of the old prop holding mechanism to bolt the new brushless motors as seen in the picture?
3)are you gonna fit servos for rudder and elevators or are you going same route as the smaller GH flyers with thrust steering only?
4)I noticed my motors wiring are very,very thin!! darn!! compared to the esc ones? can I still solder them together?
5)are you using 1 or 2 esc`s?....im planning on using 1 for each motor.

And please be patient with me...lol, even thou I just turned 49(2/7) i`m doing all this without having much flying or building experience,been flying UMX for about 3yrs only(but lots of FE boating experience).Just graduated to a 4ch UMX T28!!!..still working on it.
Ohhh!! and by the way,after finding your thread just ordered me a GH Flyer also!!....Cant wait to have it modified just like yours also.
Here are pics of what I just got from HK yesterday;
Last edited by karfrik; Feb 15, 2013 at 02:36 PM.
Feb 19, 2013, 03:48 AM
Any progress report on the HK one?.....Thanks!!
Feb 19, 2013, 05:12 PM
Thread OP
Sorry karfrik and others,
not sure if I'll be posting much for a while,
Life just bit me hard on the ass, getting through my day is tough enough. Find little enjoyment in RC much less anything else, maybe I'll revisit this in a while but gotta get out of this funk first
Feb 19, 2013, 07:13 PM
Sorry to hear about that.Hope everything turns around for you and you get back here in a better way.Ill be waiting and at the same time rigging mine and making it work hopefully.
Cheers....Albert
Feb 19, 2013, 07:21 PM
RC beginner
me too.
Feb 19, 2013, 07:25 PM
By the way I just got my GH Flyer today!!
Feb 22, 2013, 01:22 PM
Micro Crazy Man
WOW that flies nice was considering converting my Gravity hobby plane to something better then the 27mHz system Hmm got me thinking a scratch build CF rod and durabatics anyone have plans if not guess ill draw some up for it.
Dec 28, 2013, 06:05 PM
Ok its been a long time so waking up this thread .Any progress on the HK WB flyer?..i did setup/rigged mine completely.Need to sort out lots of vibrations and the way props are turning.So ill be tying up the whole wings setup with some string,balancing the props etc.Here are some pics.......

Quick Reply