Jan 25, 2013, 08:33 AM
The wind caused that!!
it actually looks alot better in person. i think it will really help with orientation in the air. on the maiden we both lost the plane in the sky a couple times!! of course we picked a very overcast day to do the maiden which wasn't the best decision.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 25, 2013, 08:46 AM
Controlled Chaos
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjschauer
Wow not too shabby!! I like it
Thanks! I still haven't got to take it up in the air yet since the change, but hopefully this weekend I can see how she looks in the air. I reinforced the front landing gear in 100 places (well, maybe not a 100...), I hope she stands up to my landings!!
Jan 25, 2013, 06:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjschauer
Turnigy 3530
Thanks mate, I just ordered the NTM 3530 1100kv, because there was no turnigy 3530 left. I would have got te rimfire but, Tower only wanted $50 to ship to my place in aus, but when I added the motor, shipping went up to $80, which did not make any sense, even adding a spinner they added $30 to the postage. So I bought the plane only, landed in aus for $171, then I have used hobbyking to order NTM 3530, 1.75" 2 blade aluminum and 3 blade aluminum spinner. Everything else I have at home here.

So my setup willl be

NTM 3530 1100kv
Turnigy Plush 40
HS-65m servo's
10x6 prop
9x7x3 3 bladed prop (this is because if memory serves me correct when using a 3 blade, you go down 1" from the 2 blade and should produce the same power draw)
Dubro rubber tyres

For the first flight I am only going to sticky tape the cockpit in, as I will mount a HD cam to record the flight. Then I will glue it in perm.
Jan 25, 2013, 07:13 PM
DronePilot6
I tried the 9 X 5 X 3 prop and had to fly at close to 3/4 throttle just to cruise around. The amp draw was pretty high too which gave short flight times. Also the higher rpm during landing meant less resistance to help slow down the plane.
Jan 25, 2013, 11:04 PM
Possibly not enough pitch mate. A 5 is almost slow flyer. The 7 will cut through the air better, so it should be o.k
Jan 26, 2013, 10:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudz27
Thanks mate, I just ordered the NTM 3530 1100kv, because there was no turnigy 3530 left. I would have got te rimfire but, Tower only wanted $50 to ship to my place in aus, but when I added the motor, shipping went up to $80, which did not make any sense, even adding a spinner they added $30 to the postage. So I bought the plane only, landed in aus for $171, then I have used hobbyking to order NTM 3530, 1.75" 2 blade aluminum and 3 blade aluminum spinner. Everything else I have at home here.

So my setup willl be

NTM 3530 1100kv
Turnigy Plush 40
HS-65m servo's
10x6 prop
9x7x3 3 bladed prop (this is because if memory serves me correct when using a 3 blade, you go down 1" from the 2 blade and should produce the same power draw)
Dubro rubber tyres

For the first flight I am only going to sticky tape the cockpit in, as I will mount a HD cam to record the flight. Then I will glue it in perm.
Watch out on those spinners from hobbyking, they are often not centered correctly.
If you would like I can order a spinner from Tower amd get it shipped to you much cheaper if you would like.
Just shoot me a PM!
Alex
Jan 26, 2013, 10:42 AM
Quote:

So my setup willl be

NTM 3530 1100kv
Turnigy Plush 40
HS-65m servo's
10x6 prop
Dubro rubber tyres

The prop might be a bit big. Let me check on that for you.
3 blade will give you more thrust, and less pitchspeed.
Jan 26, 2013, 07:33 PM
Cheers for the heads up about the spinners mate. I can get them posted cheap enough from tower, just they wanted to add $30 shipping to my plane for 1 single spinner. So I opted for no lol. Plus at the end of the day if the HK ones are crap, I will order from my LHS. Cheers for the offer.
Feb 08, 2013, 08:44 AM
Well mine turned up today, she is all built and ready for maiden in the morning. My only gripe is the HXT servo I have on rudder, I do not trust, so will swap it with another hxt-900 Ihave as I can't find the servo horns to fit my HS-65mg servo
Feb 08, 2013, 10:09 AM
Controlled Chaos
Quote:
Well mine turned up today, she is all built and ready for maiden in the morning. My only gripe is the HXT servo I have on rudder, I do not trust, so will swap it with another hxt-900 Ihave as I can't find the servo horns to fit my HS-65mg servo

Good luck with the maiden! Let us know how much you like it!
Feb 08, 2013, 04:56 PM
Will do. I either have a 2200 or a 4000 3S. The 4000 just fits on the battery tray, but I feel it may be too heavy and the 2200 won't give me much flight time. The 3blade prop has heaps of pull, just to be safe I put in a 60amp speedy. I can't test amps and watts yet as I need to solder 4mm bullets onto my watt meter. I had xt-60 to 4mm conversion leads but I took the 4mm bullets for one of my esc lol.
Feb 08, 2013, 06:54 PM
double post
Last edited by Spudz27; Feb 09, 2013 at 03:58 AM. Reason: double post
Feb 08, 2013, 09:22 PM
Quote:
Found the horns for my HS servo yay, all ready for maiden. This picture was taken last night as I was finishing up the build.
Maiden wet well except on landing I was pushed by a down draft into the runway, bounced back up, gave full power and did a go around. Greased the landing and taxied into the pitts. Noticed the weak mount for the nose LG was busted, this is when I learnt a lesson. NEVER use Hobbyking CA glue. I borrowed somebodies and it all looked ok, went to take off and the whole front nose gear collapsed. The glue had held absolutely nothing together. I have since come home, used my CA and also caked the mount with 30min epoxy. My only drama now is to replaced the motor mount as it broke when the gear collapsed. Anybody got tips on how to access it?
Feb 22, 2013, 07:39 PM
Hi guys! anyone know where I can get replacement cockpit decals an housing?
Feb 25, 2013, 09:26 PM
Slow Flyer

Build time and advice on which plane

I asked a question about build time over in the review thread before I realized this one was the "main" thread. In one prominent review, the build time was listed as 20hrs. Alex replied in the review thread that it took him ~3hrs. I was wondering if anyone experienced a longer build time. I am not looking for a plane with a 20-hr build time right now (maybe over next winter).

Anyway, I have long admired the lines of the Electrifly Cirrus SR22 and Flyzone Cessna Corvalis. I am kind of torn between the two right now. I am confident that I can handle either in flight, but I do need quite a bit of practice on my landings as I mainly fly wings and belly landers.

One thing that I do not want to do is spend 3-6hrs (probably 8 knowing me) building such a beautiful plane and then bounce the Cirrus all over the runway and tear it up. The Corvalis on the other hand sounds a little less forgiving (and has flaps to boot).

So, given that bit of info, which of these planes would you recommend for me at this time? Some of you may have even owned/flown both of them.

Quick Reply