Aug 12, 2012, 05:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeehaanow
Check your props!

I was measuring vibration on each arm individually, (nice that it's so easy to plug in one arm at a time) and one arm had a huge vibration. I balanced the prop again, and experimented with UNbalancing it, and nothing worked. I switched it for a new one and boom, much less vibes. Very strange. So look out for bad props.
The props are the only problems with the S800 (in my case). The Carbon props are not full carbon, they have a balsa core. They are absolutely to flexible.
The arms are rigid enough. But with the 15" carbon/wood prop even carbon tube arms vibrate. Vibration must be solved, and it sometimes can be done bij rigid arms. Rigid arms do only solve the consequences of the vibrations, and not the cause of the vibration.
A simple and light way of making the arms rigid is by "dry laminate" a flexible carbon sleeve.
The less resin, the lighter the result.
Directly put a heatshrink over it, en shrink it. When the resin is hardened, remove the heatshrink. The result even looks stunning.

But then again, its absolutely not necessary, just mount decent props. Mine works very nice with APC (style carbon) props 14*4,7 " .
Do remember, vibration kills everything. It's a lot of wrong energy, weakening materials, causing insulations from wiring to wear resulting in short circuit, causing the connectors (in the arms f.i.) to wear etc. etc.

The S800 is a nice platform. It's the most plug and play machine I'v ever seen, but you still have to remember, there is no such a thing as a "plug and play" multirotor. Experience is still the key, especially with machines as big as the S800! It's absolutely not a beginners machine.

Kind regards,
Aldert
Last edited by Aaalie; Oct 14, 2012 at 04:56 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 12, 2012, 09:00 AM
jab
jab
Unregistered User
I agree that eliminating the source of vibrations is essential. But in the real world even if propellers and motors are perfect, you will still get vibrations from blade warping when flying maneuvers and into wind gusts. And when you consider that the S800 is supposed to be a purebred AP platform, it then fails in many regards. Preventing vibrations from reaching the gimbal/camera should be the number one priority in a purebred AP frame.
Aug 12, 2012, 03:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaalie
The props are the only problems with the S800 (in my case). The Carbon props are not full carbon, they have a balsa core. They are absolutely to flexible.
The arms are rigid enough. But with the 15" carbon/wood prop even carbon tube arms vibrate. Vibration must be solved, and it sometimes can be done bij rigid arms. Rigid arms do only solve the consequences of the vibrations, and not the cause of the vibration.
A simple and light way of making the arms rigid is by "dry laminate" a flexible carbon sleeve: http://shop.r-g.de/en/Reinforcement-...eve-35-mm.html

The less resin, the lighter the result.
Directly put a heatshrink over it, en shrink it. When the resin is hardened, remove the heatshrink. The result even looks stunning.

But then again, its absolutely not necessary, just mount decent props. Mine works very nice with APC (style carbon) props 14*4,7 " .
Do remember, vibration kills everything. It's a lot of wrong energy, weakening materials, causing insulations from wiring to wear resulting in short circuit, causing the connectors (in the arms f.i.) to wear etc. etc.

The S800 is a nice platform. It's the most plug and play machine I'v ever seen, but you still have to remember, there is no such a thing as a "plug and play" multirotor. Experience is still the key, especially with machines as big as the S800! It's absolutely not a beginners machine.

Kind regards,
Aldert
i use those props, they are much better than originals much harder , less vibration the noise sound more "normal" http://www.foxtechfpv.com/1555-plus-...ccw-p-582.html i found it a great improvement .
Aug 12, 2012, 04:23 PM
Hi

did you notice a difference in the duration of flight time with these blades ?

thank's

jdm66
Aug 12, 2012, 05:30 PM
i haven't tested the duration . it should be the same maybe just a bit more as the blade react better. in fact those blade are exactly the same except they are harder (less flexible)
Aug 12, 2012, 07:14 PM
Thanks for the Fish
Just got back from maidening my rebuilt S800. It was about 107 when I was flying. I flew two 15min flights and checked the motor temps after each flight. They measured between 142 and 146 with my IR sensor. Not bad considering the ambient temps. Flying v5.12a, no gimbal and 2x6S 5000mAh lipos.

S800 test (0 min 49 sec)

Short iPhone video.
Last edited by Tahoe Ed; Aug 12, 2012 at 07:40 PM.
Aug 12, 2012, 07:19 PM

Whistle Noise?

I just got my S800 back together and put a few flights on it. It seems to make a whistling noise every so often. I'm assuming this is the air movement across the arms making this noise. Can anyone confirm this? I ran the motors up without props and everything seems very smooth and quiet. It flies quite nice, I used the recommended settings that were posted and they almost seem perfect.
Aug 12, 2012, 07:35 PM

S-800 with a new twist

I am doing some changes to my 800.
Since my HL Octo flies well with the WKM but with the 800 seems to be troublesome.
I am combining the S-800 with the MK electronics to see what kind of results I get.

Since the WKM configuration the motor sequence is running CCW\

On the MK is running CW I have to do some reversing on the motors and motor sequence.

If this theory works then I would have a awesome machine.

Will keep posting

Cheers
Aug 12, 2012, 09:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed
Just got back from maidening my rebuilt S800. It was about 107 when I was flying. I flew two 15min flights and checked the motor temps after each flight. They measured between 142 and 146 with my IR sensor. Not bad considering the ambient temps. Flying v5.12a, no gimbal and 2x6S 5000mAh lipos.

https://vimeo.com/47421043

Short iPhone video.
Ed,

I was watching your video an noticed that I could hear the same whistle noise every so often that I was experiencing with my s800. Do you think this is prop noise or random whisling of the frame from the prop wash? After searching this thread I believe" jab" mentioned it was the props.
Aug 12, 2012, 09:39 PM
Thanks for the Fish
I can barely hear it above the wind noise. I would say it would be possibly the props or as TC would say 8Hz whine from the escs. Not sure.
Aug 12, 2012, 09:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab
I agree that eliminating the source of vibrations is essential. But in the real world even if propellers and motors are perfect, you will still get vibrations from blade warping when flying maneuvers and into wind gusts. And when you consider that the S800 is supposed to be a purebred AP platform, it then fails in many regards. Preventing vibrations from reaching the gimbal/camera should be the number one priority in a purebred AP frame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flytahiti
i use those props, they are much better than originals much harder , less vibration the noise sound more "normal" http://www.foxtechfpv.com/1555-plus-...ccw-p-582.html i found it a great improvement .

Ok, sometimes it takes a little while for this technical information to sink in. I think I understand now. Poor flexy 15" props = whistle. Ed, ignore my last comment, sorry.
Aug 12, 2012, 09:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed
I can barely hear it above the wind noise. I would say it would be possibly the props or as TC would say 8Hz whine from the escs. Not sure.
I'm swaying toward the props. Your not to bad with that iPhone, transmitter in one hand and filming in the other, impressive.
Aug 12, 2012, 09:52 PM
Thanks for the Fish
It is amazing what you can do with ATTI/GPS and IOC Course Lock. The WKM makes it all too easy. Now if I can just get POI to work.
Aug 12, 2012, 10:41 PM
Needs more bacon!
Thanks for the link to those props flytahiti, just grabbed some to try out. Did you have to balance them or did they come balanced well?
Aug 12, 2012, 11:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolby
Thanks for the link to those props flytahiti, just grabbed some to try out. Did you have to balance them or did they come balanced well?
they come balanced

Quick Reply