Wow really sweet How much for this ?
http://www.sf-design-solutions.com/

Here's a link...
to remove ads between posts
Nov 23, 2011, 10:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelp
Wow really sweet How much for this ?
I paid $15 shipped. Insanely easy to install. If you have never soldered anything, pick up a cheap soldering iron, some flux and some solder and get on youtube. Taught myself in 10 minutes and have been up and running since. It takes about 10-20 minutes to install depending on skill level but its really easy. olthump beat me to a link for you
Nov 23, 2011, 10:44 AM
Fly em if ya got em.
Man, I wish I could get some of those lights. Y'all suck. ahahahahaha
Nov 23, 2011, 01:02 PM
Master Of My Universe
It is very easy to make up your own set of nav lights.

I recycle used LED bulbs from broken electrical items and you can get red and green very easily from them. The white LED you may have to buy a single one then all you need is some wire, solder and a bit of patience and time.

If there is any electrical repair shops near you ask them if they have any parts they are throwing in the trash, it's surprising what you can get free if you look and ask
Nov 23, 2011, 04:18 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
I actually have all ready started looking for LED's. Thanks scotsoft. I prolly have everything here I need. Just have to look for it. Might as well use some of these switches on my tx. I remember seeing a cigarette lighter with a LED on it. Some flashlites that are gifts or really cheap might have while ones. Gonna start looking, now that I am motivated. haha. Lee
Nov 23, 2011, 05:16 PM
haha nice lee. I was going to throw a set together but decided to be lazy and a kit. mine were varying in size/volts so I didnt want to risk my rx. not sure if it would be an issue but didnt do it anyways.. could afford the $15 at the time and not the $30 for a new rx since I sold my spare.
Nov 23, 2011, 05:44 PM
Master Of My Universe
I have had free pairs of cheap heaphones that have been given when I bought stuff. I carefully strip off the plastic insulation to get the really thin wire inside, it is laquer coated and weighs virtually nothing and you can easily tape onto a foam wing.

I have yet to find a use for the LED bulbs you get in lighters, the ones I have are 5mm dia and blue so they sit in my LED box waiting for something to spring to mind
Nov 23, 2011, 06:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotsoft
I have had free pairs of cheap heaphones that have been given when I bought stuff. I carefully strip off the plastic insulation to get the really thin wire inside, it is laquer coated and weighs virtually nothing and you can easily tape onto a foam wing.

I have yet to find a use for the LED bulbs you get in lighters, the ones I have are 5mm dia and blue so they sit in my LED box waiting for something to spring to mind
I am sure you already know this but I wish someone would have told me lol.. so I used some repossessed enamel coated wire for a tail boom motor and didnt bother to check the enamel for a good insulation... long story short fried a 5in1 board
Nov 25, 2011, 08:15 PM

champ tail feathers

hey, I know there was a reference somewhere in this thread to a few people who have used foam plates to make a tail for a champ, does anyone have a pattern in a PDF that I can print and have it be the right size? I caught a twig sticking out from a tree and ripped my right h-stab off and ripped the top half of my v-stab, so I have nothing to make a pattern with.
Thanks.
Nov 25, 2011, 08:30 PM
Occupying RCG
You could make your lefthand h-stab work as a template for both sides (flip it over), and just take your best guess on the top of the rudder. It'll work, Go for It.
Nov 27, 2011, 07:49 AM

Rigid repair for wing (champ)

Hi all !

I did get in trouble with my champ wing, and here is what I've done to fix it.

In the past, I broke the wing twice in nasty crashs : first on the right side, second on the left (fun thing: the second time I did not notice it as it was partially broken and only visible from the underneath, and I put back her in the air; after 30-60 secs of flight I heard a "crack" and she fall in the grass, followed by the left wing one or two feet above )

I fixed it each time with CA glue and tape, but the left wing did not brake sharply and some foam was missing, so after some flight it begins to be more and more flexible and in the end only be held by the tape.

I decided to re-fix it and here is what I've done, if it can help anybody in the same situation.

Facts :
- it's not really good looking
- it probably adds some drag (not noticeable)
but :
- it's really rigid
- it's really lightweight
- it flies great

I used : depron, ca glue, some tape and some thick packaging clear plastic (mine was 0.8mm thick).

First, I glued a strip of thick plastic on the upper side of the broken wing (have a look to the photos)

I made some sort of plate for the underside of the wing, first glued to the side of the fuselage. I used some 3mm depron in order to curve it, as the wing is curved.

I glued several layers of small pieces of thick plastic above the depron plate, just for having the correct curve and respect the proper dihedral (to get the correct setup you need several tests with the broken wing).

Then, after several tests, I glued the underneath side of the plastic strip from the broken wing, the upper side of the depron plastic plate, and hand-press a few dozens of seconds.

Of course be careful with CA glue : do not use old (dried) CA and only put several very small drops of glue, it will dry faster and glue harder.

At the end, put some tape above the upper-side strap, and cut a bit the depron to make it slim.
Nov 27, 2011, 11:10 AM
Enough Power? -NEVER ENOUGH!
with my wing i just put some epoxy on it and let it dry and it hasn't broken yet
Nov 27, 2011, 01:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by monboy10
with my wing i just put some epoxy on it and let it dry and it hasn't broken yet
Doesn't the epoxy will melt the foam ? Do you use special Epoxy ?
I was pretty sure epoxy will melt it, so I do not even think of it...
This would have been much simpler !
Nov 27, 2011, 01:51 PM
Occupying RCG
Epoxy works fine...no problems. CA will eat the foam unless it is labeled "foam safe".
Nov 27, 2011, 08:56 PM
Enough Power? -NEVER ENOUGH!
i just used 5 min epoxy and i've never had anything melt

Quick Reply