Great video very well done!
to remove ads between posts
Oct 29, 2012, 07:39 AM
https://youtube.com/RC4ever
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirewolf903 View Post
Great video very well done!
Thanks!

I have to work a bit on the video quality for a better result, keep on tuned!
Oct 31, 2012, 08:19 PM
Thread OP
Last edited by ilovefpv; Nov 02, 2012 at 07:02 AM.
Nov 02, 2012, 12:53 AM
also known as ke123
You want to sell back the knowledge you gleaned from the forums? Dude..
Nov 02, 2012, 01:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by krise View Post
You want to sell back the knowledge you gleaned from the forums? Dude..
Interesting post .. didn't even think about that. If that's the case, it will create a lot of bad blood...
Nov 02, 2012, 01:47 AM
also known as ke123
Yeah... There are many others that have far more FPV experience sharing all this knowledge for free..
This guy has been using all the tricks to make money - harvesting emails from forum users, mass emails with affiliate marketing links, and now selling ebooks of freely available information.

It has reached the point of ticking me off.
Nov 02, 2012, 07:03 AM
Thread OP
Sorry guys - didn't think of it that way - I'm dropping the project...
Nov 02, 2012, 10:30 AM
To play devil's advocate:

I've spent many, many hours crawling through these forums looking for information. Not everyone has time to read the whole 1000+ page Bixler thread, or 150 pages in this thread. I had a banking problem on my Sky Surfer which took days to hunt down. I asked and no one responded, so I was left to digging through years of posts here at RCGroups. I eventually found the problem in some old post, buried in the middle of the massive thread.

Don't get me wrong, I think the forums are a great resource. But there is something to aggregating all the hard-won knowledge, removing all the myths, superstitions and misinformation, and packaging it into a friendly format.

I think it would be a great resource personally.
Nov 02, 2012, 10:59 AM
also known as ke123
Mine is but a single opinion, let's keep in mind.
Nov 02, 2012, 02:06 PM
Ilovefpv, I'm not gonna buy your ebook but don't let it down.
If someone doesn't want to read it, then just don't buy it.
But there's no reason to just drop it. It's really nice that someone takes the time to do the hard information gathering work. It's even nicer if he or she makes it for free but you are in your right to sell it.

In any case, always remember to quote your sources

Cheers!
Jandro.
Nov 07, 2012, 03:11 PM
I'm researching my future FPV setup and I'm rather unclear about one thing: how should I power the transmitter. Should I use second auxiliary battery or is it enough to power the TX from the main battery the plane is flying on? I worry about adding too much weight and hassle -- the plane is already fairly heavy with just my GoPro.
Nov 07, 2012, 03:46 PM
I'm using the main battery without trouble
Nov 07, 2012, 04:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandevil View Post
I'm researching my future FPV setup and I'm rather unclear about one thing: how should I power the transmitter. Should I use second auxiliary battery or is it enough to power the TX from the main battery the plane is flying on? I worry about adding too much weight and hassle -- the plane is already fairly heavy with just my GoPro.
People do both. The advantage of using a separate battery (usually something small, like a 400mAh) is that the video system is isolated from the noisy ESC/Motor circuit. You can get a clearer picture with less effort (don't have to shield cables, add ferrite rings, etc)

The downside is extra weight and another battery to charge.

I think the majority of people power their transmitter straight from the main flight battery. It introduces a bit more interference that you may have to clean up, but simplifies the setup. A VTx only eats around 0.3-0.7 Amps so the effect on flight time in negligible.
Nov 07, 2012, 05:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by polyfractal
People do both. The advantage of using a separate battery (usually something small, like a 400mAh) is that the video system is isolated from the noisy ESC/Motor circuit. You can get a clearer picture with less effort (don't have to shield cables, add ferrite rings, etc)

The downside is extra weight and another battery to charge.
Thanks for your reply.

I'm not good with electronics, so the idea of trying to suppress ESC interference scares me. I checked HK and 300 mAh 3-cell battery weighs 38 g. My planned TX draws 300 mA, so it should definitely last half an hour.
Last edited by mandevil; Nov 09, 2012 at 02:47 AM. Reason: mA, not mAh
Nov 07, 2012, 06:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandevil View Post
Thanks for your reply.

I'm not good with electronics, so the idea of trying to suppress ESC interference scares me. I checked HK and 300 mAh 3-cell battery weighs 38 g. My planned TX draws 300 mAh, so it should definitely last half an hour.
No problem

I started with a second battery as well. I liked that route because I could verify that everything was working before trying to integrate.

Luckily, removing interference from the ESC is pretty easy. You'll know you have interference from the ESC because it is connected to throttle changes. When you increase your throttle, if the video gets more interference...it's a sure sign of your ESC.

The easiest solution is to add a ferrite ring on the cable going from your ESC to receiver. If that doesn't fix it, an LC filter will take care of the rest.

Quick Reply